Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Single bike crash - Akaroa Christchurch road 8 Feb 2021

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Maybe it'll be OK to upload the footage in a few weeks or more, as education or summat.

Regarding the trailer condition and so on, all i can say is the general condition looked OK, it wasn't an old shitter or a homebuilt - the boat looked expensive (i may not have mentoned it was a boat trailer) but the talk about salt water and so on might make sense.
    Note the trailer driver immediately ran to the scene and throughout the followup was naturally very upset and made no attempt to blame anyone but himself. It could be nothing to do with him or maintenance or anything, poor bugger.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Single vehicle crash is no other vehicle (or part thereof) involved.

If something falls of a trailer and another vehicle hits it ... where would (you hope) the fault lay ... with the driver towing the trailer or the vehicle that hit the "Something" ...
    There was a high profile case few years ago where someone’s departed trailer killed someone. Apparently due to legal vagaries the driver got away scot free as they were not “towing” or in control of the trailer FFS!!!

Pisses me off even more that there have been displays of these type of events on highway cops tv show and the cops are super nice to the offender like it’s no big deal hence why no one gives a damn. In my truck I would be guaranteed to see at least one boat trailer or caravan at roadside start of holiday weekends with a lost wheel... happens too often.

Entirely the fault of the owner for not pre trip inspecting or doing maintainance and completely unacceptable.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EB255GTX View Post
    Maybe it'll be OK to upload the footage in a few weeks or more, as education or summat.

Regarding the trailer condition and so on, all i can say is the general condition looked OK, it wasn't an old shitter or a homebuilt - the boat looked expensive (i may not have mentoned it was a boat trailer) but the talk about salt water and so on might make sense.
    Note the trailer driver immediately ran to the scene and throughout the followup was naturally very upset and made no attempt to blame anyone but himself. It could be nothing to do with him or maintenance or anything, poor bugger.
    The thing about boat trailers ... both the flash ones and the home built ones ... BOTH types have their wheel bearings submersed in water while the bearings are still warm. When they cool the air pressure inside them reduces and water is sucked in. As they heat up again ... a mixture of grease and water is expelled from the bearing. Repeated heating and fast cooling increases the amounts ... and does not do a lot of good to the bearings. Sealed bearings are not immune from this effect forever. I can assure you ... "It DOES get in" ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    There was a high profile case few years ago where someone’s departed trailer killed someone. Apparently due to legal vagaries the driver got away scot free as they were not “towing” or in control of the trailer FFS!!!

Pisses me off even more that there have been displays of these type of events on highway cops tv show and the cops are super nice to the offender like it’s no big deal hence why no one gives a damn. In my truck I would be guaranteed to see at least one boat trailer or caravan at roadside start of holiday weekends with a lost wheel... happens too often.

Entirely the fault of the owner for not pre trip inspecting or doing maintainance and completely unacceptable.
    In my working life on the road ... I would have seen about 20 trailer wheels come off and with varying end results. Some with no other vehicle involved ... and some involving other vehicles. No fatal results ... but some very angry drivers on the receiving end. As you may expect.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information