Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornet CB250 starting issues

Bike
    2016 Aprilia Tuono v4 Factory

Hornet CB250 starting issues

Hello everyone!

Picked up a cb250 hornet recently and it ran ok. Recently however, after about riding for 5mins, it turns off. Then after a while, it’ll go again but then starts to bog off and loses power and turns off. Then goes again..

So I’ve changed the spark plugs, yes there is spark. I’ve changed the fuel, old fuel was not the best, in doing that I also opened the carbs, jets were clogged, and just cleaned the carbs. Brand new battery, and air filter looks ok.

I read a thread which said the fuel air mixture should be about 2-2.5 turns from lightly tight so I adjusted that too.

Now, it’s still the same. I can’t seem to start it without choke.

And if I take the choke off, it shuts off and even with choke on - and if I give it gas, it’ll also shut.

What’s the issue here? What else shall I eliminate?

Thanks

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Sounds like its worth having a look at the petcock and the fuel filter - the carb bowls may not be getting refilled fast enough.

Other possibilities... charging system OK, you're getting 14V at the battery terminals with the bike revving? For that matter, how old is the battery?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Check the air filter isn't full of crap. It needs fuel AND air to run properly.

Check for kinks and blockages in the fuel line.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Sounds like the carbs are gungrd up like my XF650. Injector/Carb cleanerv in a tank full of fresh fuel and a decent run( around 200 or more kms at varying speeds. should ) sorted it out if it is gumbed up carbs.

FJriders an OldDucks suggestions are valid as well.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Sounds like its worth having a look at the petcock and the fuel filter - the carb bowls may not be getting refilled fast enough.

Other possibilities... charging system OK, you're getting 14V at the battery terminals with the bike revving? For that matter, how old is the battery?
    Battery is brand spanking new.

Fuel filter is ok too, I’ve opened it and cleaned it also.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post

Ordered a new air filter.. so will wait for that. Old air filter does look pretty bad. But I didn’t think this would be the cause? Let’s see,,,

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mnishi View Post
    Ordered a new air filter.. so will wait for that. Old air filter does look pretty bad. But I didn’t think this would be the cause? Let’s see,,,
    I would imagine any blockage of the air system would increase the effect of choke, but you say taking the choke off and the engine dies immediately?
    The "choke" system is probably a plunger that lifts and opens another passage for fuel to get into the intake, which would suggest to me that there is a blockage in the main fueling circuit of the carbs and as soon as the choke is "off", there goes the fuel that the engine was running on.

A more thorough carb clean may be required. Each carb feeding a 65cc cylinder - there are some very tiny passages in there.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    I would imagine any blockage of the air system would increase the effect of choke, but you say taking the choke off and the engine dies immediately?
    The "choke" system is probably a plunger that lifts and opens another passage for fuel to get into the intake, which would suggest to me that there is a blockage in the main fueling circuit of the carbs and as soon as the choke is "off", there goes the fuel that the engine was running on.

A more thorough carb clean may be required. Each carb feeding a 65cc cylinder - there are some very tiny passages in there.
    The Choke is reduce air-flow through the carb. Increasing the amount of fuel in the fuel-air mixture that is going into the carb.

If it dies when the choke is off ... that indicates not enough fuel is getting to (or through) the carb.

The Petcock may be the issue. If the normal ON setting is being used ... try the reserve or Run setting so fuel should flow all the time. This can be checked by turning it to OFF. Then pull the line off the carb and trying both on and the run/reserve setting and see how good the fuel flows. If it has a vacuum line ... with no off setting ... you might need to suck on the vacuum line to get the fuel to flow. If it has a vacuum line ... THAT in itself may be the issue if the line is not attached (or blocked. or attached at the wrong place) to the carb.

This will/might confirm if the issue is in the carb or Petcock/tank area. Unless you know what you are doing ... pulling the carb apart can go badly.

Old adage with old bikes ... try the simple things first and hope ...

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    The Choke is reduce air-flow through the carb. Increasing the amount of fuel in the fuel-air mixture that is going into the carb..
    Is the choke on this model another butterfly in the mouth of the carb? The diagram I am looking at shows a "valve set, starter" which looks more like a normal plunger. However given that there are probaly a hundred different models of 250 hornet...

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/hon...E_17_1/1/22978
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Is the choke on this model another butterfly in the mouth of the carb? The diagram I am looking at shows a "valve set, starter" which looks more like a normal plunger. However given that there are probaly a hundred different models of 250 hornet...
    Methods may vary. But the end result achieved is the same. Increased fuel amount in the fuel / air mixture.

No actual model mentioned by the OP.
    Last edited by FJRider; 10th February 2021 at 15:28. Reason: extra point added

Bike
    bike sold :-(
    check the things got compression, use to work on these and cbr250's (same base engine) & this is showing classic low compression problems. If the compression is low they will still run but will not create enough vacuum to carburate properly, they give the symptoms you have described IE will have to use excessive choke to get them to keep running. If the compression is low check the valve clearance as most leaners that use to own these could not afford to get the valve clearance maintenance done as they are as expensive as a 1000cc bike to set as there are 16 valves to set.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries

Post above is interesting, but to quote this one and the OP reply 2 down. . .fuel filter? The one in the tank? Or has someone fitted an inline filter? These just Love to cause a kink in the line and it doesn't seem apparent. Replace with straight hose and clean tank out if there is a silting problem.

Be interested to hear about compression reading.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Post above is interesting, but to quote this one and the OP reply 2 down. . .fuel filter? The one in the tank? Or has someone fitted an inline filter? These just Love to cause a kink in the line and it doesn't seem apparent. Replace with straight hose and clean tank out if there is a silting problem.

Be interested to hear about compression reading.
    If an inline filter WAS installed ... it is another thing that largely gets ignored for many years. Not even looked at. Thus then becomes an issue of it's own.

Replacing fuel lines with clear lines helps see issues with bikes having fuel issues.

I'm curious about the km's done. A good idea then of those sorts of issues being involved. Compression doesn't need to be down much on the small bikes to make a big difference.

But the bike was probably cheap.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    If an inline filter WAS installed ... it is another thing that largely gets ignored for many years. Not even looked at. Thus then becomes an issue of it's own.

Replacing fuel lines with clear lines helps see issues with bikes having fuel issues.
    This was a known issue with XF650 and was one of the first thing I check as one is in the OEM main fuel. Felling the outside of the fuel indidicated one was there but when I pul the line out to chck a PO, I assume the original that did over 50,000kms on it, had clearly drilled the inards pout and flusked it properly. Obvious no fuel line issue.

Next tried to undo the carb flote boul drain screws. Got one out after just over an hour. The second one just wouldn't budge. Two carbs on the XF659 single. Look at what came out of the right hand card and the drain screws being difcult to omposible to remove isurmise gumped up laguer was the issue.

Ran the the bike totally out of fuel then putting the conten of the 5ltr fuel container I had in my man bag them filling up at my usual petrol station a few blocks away I put 1/2 a botle of injector/carb cleaner in with the fresh fuel. Doned my long distance riding and did a Palmiy-Havelock North return trip mostlyon back country roads so I woulkdn't affect traffic on the major route.

Apon ariving home the bike felt tolally different. Not random cutouts amost stall or stall then come back to life after a a minute or two.

I was very very sceptacle on the injecter/carb cleaner and aditives in general at first but now I am sold on the stuff.

Bike

I'm curious about the km's done. A good idea then of those sorts of issues being involved. Compression doesn't need to be down much on the small bikes to make a big difference.

But the bike was probably cheap.
    The bikes done 29,000kms and is a 1997 model.

As an update, still waiting on the air filter today - but I've been starting the bike with choke and it goes ok, if I hold the revs and take the choke off, it also goes ok, it doesn't just die easily. If I keep giving it some gas, it runs, but of course as soon as I let throttle go, it turns off.

So I forgot to mention, off the carbs there's these two hoses that are coming down. When I removed the air box thing, it was just hanging there. Do these two hoses connect to anything?

Also, there's another pipe that runs from the right side of the tank, and also goes no where. Where is this meant to go?

Added photos!

Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	149406108_1375091929523808_6113167108978306186_n.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	348501   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	149486511_2168688266601303_3103826844234047385_n.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	274.2 KB 
ID:	348502   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	149549310_2200093726790521_6351215744365871980_n.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	348503   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	149062355_342485336929956_2283418357192994529_n.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	237.8 KB 
ID:	348504  

Thread Information