Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Airbags, hmmm.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    …and codpiece, My Lord?

Well, let's go for the Black Russian, shall we? It always terrifies the clergy!
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    The 2nd one is just plain scary. He jumps and flips, but you can see how easy it would be to get legs and feet caught up on way through bars and fairing.
    Yes. If you check the video again, the handlebar appears to have been caught by his thigh, bending it forward.

Which is what happened to a Popo on a patrol bike on the West Coast a few years ago. His left inner though caught the left handle bar as he went over the front of the bike, causing no end of hurt. Broke the bar off too, that's how hard it hit.

There really isn't a fool p[roof way to come off a bike. Few things can prepare you for every eventuality. But airbag vests are a good start toward better protection, for most situations.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Most people wouldn't have presence of mind to jump, largely because they didn't plan to ride into a stationery object.
    Some motorcycle safety thing I read decades ago suggested in the event of an accident like that if you had time to stand up so you didn't get smashed up by the bars, I'd be too busy thinking oh fuck oh fuck I'm going to die
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes when racing as you know, you are at full concentration, unlike commuting when you are bored. You predict and can feel when you are going down or when someone falls off right in front of you and you can't avoid them and make a plan of how to fall. Like a ninja.
    Other times you are on the ground still holding the bars going, what happened??

The chance of a road collision where you have enough time to plan acrobatics, you probably had enough time to not be in that situation.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Sometimes when racing as you know, you are at full concentration, unlike commuting when you are bored. You predict and can feel when you are going down or when someone falls off right in front of you and you can't avoid them and make a plan of how to fall. Like a ninja.
    Other times you are on the ground still holding the bars going, what happened??

The chance of a road collision where you have enough time to plan acrobatics, you probably had enough time to not be in that situation.
    I think training is a big help for the elegant ejection. I spent years firing myself into the scenery, still do, now and again, to keep in practice.

The sport I did as a yoof has also been a big help, basically some big bastard throwing me about. I'm a black belt at roly polys.

But yeah, the instantaneous horizontal cornering technique trumps anything.

Black ice is shit.

Dunno how good my reactions would be nowadays and I prefer not to find out.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    I dont know where I saw it but Honda has some patents on an air bag system which partially envelopes the rider with air bags from within the bike. I think its motogp stuff but i guess thats where it makes the most sense for now

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I wonder what percentage of accidents the rider stays with the bike? Sounds dumb.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    I wonder what percentage of accidents the rider stays with the bike? Sounds dumb.
    I think the airbag stays with the rider after it deploys

Bike
    BSA A10
    The system I saw was to stop the rider getting tangled up in the bars and other hard parts
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps some sort of Ramp/ejection seat, coupled with a low level parachute so you could land safely on the other side of the carnage, ruffle your Bat Cap and proclaim Tah-Dah!

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Really good test of the Tech 5 like mine.
    I guess I can go Adventure biking with now

Real world stuff not Marketing bullshit - Very interesting.

I just wish it didn't cost $350 to get a recharge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyhIKBm5sCk
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Received this advertising email from motomail . Quite impressive looking kit. As you racer guys using them have said they look difficult to wear and fit into.

In 1978 I T-boned a car doing an unexpected, un-indicated U-turn. I hit the centre pillar of the car. My reactions being young and recovering from a recent broken leg (tibia and fibula) were good. I knew my fragile leg would not cope well with any impact. I had no time to swerve or brake beyond about 1 second so I jumped straight up to go over the roof and wait for the gentle slide (forever the optimist). I was almost smiling with pride as I saw the car roof passing harmlessly underneath me. Good job, well done I thought. Nah, tumbled in flight and had no idea where the road surface was until it hit me and broke my femur. Hah, at least my bike trashed dickheads car. In that crash I doubt an air suit would have helped but I can see they sure will reduce impacts in many cases.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	airbag suit.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	246.9 KB 
ID:	353087   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	airbag suit2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	159.1 KB 
ID:	353088  
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Thread Information