Thread: Older KTM's

Bike
    various

Older KTM's

Recently purchased a 2003 KTM 640 sm and would like to hear from anybody with experiance with similar bikes .

It's been a blast so far with minimal problems , no nanny bullshit TC , abs but bugger me it eats tyres 800ks out of a rear and sounds like a few bolts are rattling around in the engine when the bash plate is on even with foam in-between plate and engine ( sounds fine with no plate )

Just done the usual stuff with a second hand purchase , change fluids & service then ride .
    THE GREATEST ACHIEVEMENTS ARE FOUND OUTSIDE OUR COMFORT ZONE

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Quote Originally Posted by Denniso View Post
    Recently purchased a 2003 KTM 640 sm and would like to hear from anybody with experiance with similar bikes .

It's been a blast so far with minimal problems , no nanny bullshit TC , abs but bugger me it eats tyres 800ks out of a rear and sounds like a few bolts are rattling around in the engine when the bash plate is on even with foam in-between plate and engine ( sounds fine with no plate )

Just done the usual stuff with a second hand purchase , change fluids & service then ride .
    I picked up a second hand 640 Enduro from Auckland a few years ago.
    Stopped twice on the Southern Motorway as I thought that an engine mount was loose.
    It also disposed of a rear Michelin adv tyre in less than 1,000km.

The tyre problem was partly solved by paying attention to the pressure used.
    The engine noise and vibration are just part of its charm (it does get better after 5 or 10 thousand kms).

Pay attention when doing oil changes. I have seen two LC4's on TM in the last ten years with blown engines caused by home mechanics.

I've owned three LC4's - a 640 Enduro, a 625 SXC and a 690 Enduro.
    Fantastic bikes.

Bike
    89 KX500

2003 625 SXC Motard

I have a 625 SXC motard conversion with high levels of engine vibration. Has anyone attempted to modify the counterbalancer weight?

Thread Information