Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car tyres on bikes?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.

Car tyres on bikes?

Just a quick question.

Is a bike warrantable with a car tyre on the back, not for the pillion, actually on the back wheel?

Also, would insurance pay out in the case of visiting the scenery due to loss of rear wheel traction in a corner?

Some of ewes may already know why I ask. Just been into town and spotted a big cruiser outside the pie shop lounging resplendently on it's side stand with a tiny, wee, sidewall contact patch on the road and a huge expanse of tread in the air.

It's not important, it just offends my feeling on physics.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Just a quick question.

Is a bike warrantable with a car tyre on the back, not for the pillion, actually on the back wheel?

Also, would insurance pay out in the case of visiting the scenery due to loss of rear wheel traction in a corner?

Some of ewes may already know why I ask. Just been into town and spotted a big cruiser outside the pie shop lounging resplendently on it's side stand with a tiny, wee, sidewall contact patch on the road and a huge expanse of tread in the air.

Legality depends on tread depth and tire condition.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I hope the fuckwit who did that also has one of those "retard only" novelty bash hats the gang members seem to favour? Just to justify the picture in my mind y'see!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Legality depends on tread depth and tire condition.
    That's a bit scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    I hope the fuckwit who did that also has one of those "retard only" novelty bash hats the gang members seem to favour? Just to justify the picture in my mind y'see!
    I did not make an effort to see the hemlet. The tyre was enough glans for me.

Looked like a fairly typical cruiser couple out for a jaunt. Full gear, so no bad there.

I'm just a tad taken aback that the rider cannot see how small the cornering contact patch is, let alone the dynamics of riding a tyre designed to stay in a straight line.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    BSA A10
    I'm just a tad taken aback that the rider cannot see how small the cornering contact patch is, let alone the dynamics of riding a tyre designed to stay in a straight line.
    It's become fairly common in the USA on large cruisers, fortnine did a video on it you can find on you tube
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I know that they do it in the states and call it "darksiding" but they have thousands of miles of freeway over there. There is very little like that here...
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    Nice .. Yep works for me bro .
    I can feel bile fermenting .

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I know that they do it in the states and call it "darksiding" but they have thousands of miles of freeway over there. There is very little like that here...
    Yeah on goldwing facebook.
    I see the posts .its there choice.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    That's a bit scary.

I did not make an effort to see the hemlet. The tyre was enough glans for me.

Looked like a fairly typical cruiser couple out for a jaunt. Full gear, so no bad there.

It deform plus you ride certain way its not like going .drag a knee .do peace sign with de free hand.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I hope the fuckwit who did that is (at the very least) ... Organ Donor specified on their License ...

That's a bit scary.
    As is often the case ... a good idea may not be that good in hindsight.

I would love to be there when hindsight arrives for him ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    bike sold :-(
    Just a quick question.

A car tyre fitted to a motorcycle was a WOF fail when I was doing motorcycle WOF'S and still is a warrant fail as below

d) a tyre that is not compatible with the vehicle to which it is fitted, eg a tyre is marked with any of the following:

i. ‘NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE’

ii. ‘NHS’ (Not for Highway Service)

iii. ‘FOR TRAILER USE ONLY’

iv. ‘ADV’ (Agricultural Drawn Vehicle)

v. ‘RACING PURPOSES ONLY’.

e) a tyre that is not suitable for a motorcycle, eg a car tyre fitted to a class LC motorcycle (Note 4)

here is link to the regulations if you be bothered reading through the rest of the legislation https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt....res-and-wheels

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    It's become fairly common in the USA on large cruisers, fortnine did a video on it you can find on you tube
    I watched that vid awhile ago and some entertaining vids of darkside incidents on Deals Gap. The results of both kinda prompted me to post.

Quote Originally Posted by spanner spinner View Post
    A car tyre fitted to a motorcycle was a WOF fail when I was doing motorcycle WOF'S and still is a warrant fail as below

d) a tyre that is not compatible with the vehicle to which it is fitted, eg a tyre is marked with any of the following:

e) a tyre that is not suitable for a motorcycle, eg a car tyre fitted to a class LC motorcycle (Note 4)

here is link to the regulations if you be bothered reading through the rest of the legislation https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt....res-and-wheels
    Cheers for that clarification
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    A friend of mine did that when we were young, silly, and presumably broke. He can still give a colourful impression of the cornering characteristics of the tyre.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    A friend of mine did that when we were young, silly, and presumably broke. He can still give a colourful impression of the cornering characteristics of the tyre.
    I've ridden trials bikes with gummy directional tyres. Definitely not designed for leaning.

Cornering on tar seal was a buttock clenching experience.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    suzuki
    Just a quick question.

the photo didn't come out, try posting it again

Thread Information