Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car tyres on bikes?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    the photo didn't come out, try posting it again
    As soon as the film is developed I'll post it up.. It's a 36 roll, so might be awhile.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Historically there were no bike or car tires... they were the same.
    In fact most of us 60yrs and older riders will remember things like Avon speedmasters, and Dunlop TT100's... (you young un's today just don't know )
    The reason many have gone 'darkside' is the high wear rate of tires on big cruisers. My full dresser is 5kg short of 400kg without a rider.

I've seen vid's and spoken to guys in the USA who 'darkside', some even 'double darkside' Rear tire on the front.. (which IS acceptable)
    I've seen pictures of a certain brands (heavyweight bike tire) with actual chunks out of the rubber due to the bike being fully laden, two up + tour pack filled. I've also seen vids of bikes doing the 'dragon's tail' in USA running darkside. What they all say is the need to find the correct pressure and when moving the contact patch is actually quite large. some say wet braking is far better 'darkside'.

The BIG concern is the fact you only have one of the 'safety systems' properly fitted. The Bead does not fit a bike wheel properly (seated) but they say it is also VERY hard to get the tire to seat (and use high pressure to pop it into place).
    With the aggressive construction of NZ roads (tar spray + volcanic chip) It is very tempting for the wear factor, but, as has been mentioned, we don't have the long USA highways here.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    The Bead does not fit a bike wheel properly (seated) but they say it is also VERY hard to get the tire to seat (and use high pressure to pop it into place).
    Bead on a car tyre is wider so it probably sits half on the safety hump
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Thread Information