Thread: Tsunami, Great escape vehicles

Bike
    Several old ones

Tsunami, Great escape vehicles

Is it not a good idea to escape a coastal Tsunami threat by motorcycle or scooter. If I lived in Ohope , Opotiki, Whakatane , Gisborne, Mt Maunganui or any low lying coastal threatened communities I would buy a scooter to escape the possible threat of a huge tsunami. While the roads out, as we have recently seen, get totally blocked to stand still, and possibly swamped Mum and Dad are on the scooter and away.
    Maybe two scooters, one for the kids. A crate on the back for cats and a bit of food , water. You would not have to rego or wof , as long as they operate. Great escape vehicles.
    If enough people did this it would maybe free up the congestion for cars for the elderly and Mum and Dads and the wee kids, babies.
    Seems logical to me .

Bike
    77 XL250
    I would pay good money to see that. Whole families on scooters as seen in many Asian countries - only in a panic, trying to carry furniture and tow the trailer and piloted by fuckwits exhibiting the usual driving standard seen in the area.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    Several old ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadpole View Post
    I would pay good money to see that. Whole families on scooters as seen in many Asian countries - only in a panic, trying to carry furniture and tow the trailer and piloted by fuckwits exhibiting the usual driving standard seen in the area.
    Yeah, A Tsunami does not wait for those poor souls stuck in a traffic jam. Too late when you have driven half way to safety? then got stuck in a traffic jam, better get out and run fast. Just saying.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Motor scooters? A tsunami seems more like an occasion for one of those zombie apocolypse 650 singles.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Surely a bobber is the only appropriate machine for a tsunami situation?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Surfboard. Just stand on your roof and wait a bit.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Cheaper to buy a ladder and climb a tree as long as you're not right in the splash zone. Couldn't help notice in the Fukushima tsunami that the sturdy trees were still standing afterwards ... even many that were in the splash zone. Just find an old man pine and scramble up. But yes, when I still had my own bike that was going to be our escape method. Even had the getaway backpack all prepared.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    77 XL250
    Us poor folks can't afford coastal properties these days, so I will sit on my little hillside and watch the capitalist running dogs float past.....
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    As random as it may seem thinking about such things can be productive. I've seen advice in the US that people climbing up into the space above the ceiling to avoid rising water should take an axe. Too many have drowned trapped when the water kept rising.

There was also a family stuck up there because they could see snakes swimming in the water in their house. Hopefully we don't have to worry about that.

I live on a river bank a kilometer or so from the coast, unlikely but not impossible that a tsunami could come up the river, or a lahar come down. Can't do anything about either of those so it's no good worrying.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information