Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New bike recommendation

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Well, as I've got older, my preference has been for lighter weight bikes and I find riding them more pleasurable. Having had bigger capacity bikes and also owned a Street Triple and the current Duke 790, the smaller bikes lose absolutely nothing to bigger bikes in normal road riding. Do a heap of window shopping and then a test ride or two on the favoured ones because you might be in for a pleasant surprise. The Street Triple wasn't tops on my list but after riding it, I just had to buy it. Ditto for my current ride, the Duke 790. The GSX-S 1000 which I had before the Duke was a disappointment, despite its performance. Simply didn't light my fire. Take your time until you find something which really hits the spot. You'll know when you find it.
    Duke 790 and Street Triple.

Added to my list.

This weight and power class is what I'm looking for.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    Duke 790 and Street Triple.

Added to my list.

This weight and power class is what I'm looking for.
    I don't know whether it helps but: https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2020...ss-report.html and https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2010...revisited.html . The Street Triple was a 675 but the sentiments would also apply to the 765, even more so. Leg room is a bit more generous on the Duke than the Triumph, Important for me with damaged knees, but might not be relevant to you. Good luck searching!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I don't know whether it helps but: https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2020...ss-report.html and https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2010...revisited.html . The Street Triple was a 675 but the sentiments would also apply to the 765, even more so. Leg room is a bit more generous on the Duke than the Triumph, Important for me with damaged knees, but might not be relevant to you. Good luck searching!
    With a damaged wrist and back, I think Duke would be a better posture than Street Triple. Similarly priced though.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    With your height and your budget there are lots of opportunities. There should be test rides should be available, have fun.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Well you probably are a bit out of budget range for the RZ500 you just know you need. But if needs must I'd recommend you don't go too big. Not required these days and you will be blown away by what they call midrange bikes these days that make the old 1000cc chuffers we used to aspire to a bit wet.
    And heavy.

I too have a 675 street triple. I've spent time to lower bars etc as it is a bit upright at my young age (53). Go ride the 765 or at least sit on one.

I tour, tootle, and sport ride mine. I don't need any more go on the road these days.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Appreciate everyone's telling me I need to provide a bit more clarity.

How much do you have to spend? - $15-20k (+/- depends on how much I like the bike).

What type of road riding are you looking at doing? - a bit of twisties, a bit of longer distance. Commuting occasionally if I have to but even then it's only a 10km ride each way to town. Cruiser or sport bike sitting position is uncomfortable for my back (past injuries). Mid-weight dual sport or touring type bikes are what fit my frame and posture better.

What characteristics do you want from your new bike? - straighter sitting position. I appreciate low end torque more than redline horsepower. One thing I don't like about the single cylinder bike I have at the moment is how buzzy it becomes at highway speeds. Anything more than 20 minutes at 100+ is uncomfortable. In around town, it's acceptable. I know people have taken this G310GS half way around the world, more power to them. It's not the bike for me long term.

Where are you located in relation to dealerships? - I'm in Auckland central. Takapuna, Manukau or CBD is easy reach.

As for the color of hair of my next girlfriend, my wife might have some issues with that. A tall brunette bike is what I'm looking for.
    Cool - In that case I'd highly recommend the Moto Guzzi V85TT. They are slightly over your price range brand new but a lightly used one will fall under $20k.

It fits all the criteria you've mentioned, is manageable, distinctive, has enough grunt for spirited road riding and they have a real sense of individuality about them.

I love mine and its even good for the odd pillion ride too should the need arise. What's not to like?

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...a Japanese one...a Honda to be more specific...

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I'm with this guy. No point buying something weird. Get an Asian bike. Like a Triumph.

Bike
    F800GS
    R nine T ?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Get an Asian bike. Like a Triumph.
    Or a Harley. Or a Benelli.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Com...th-eye-on-Asia
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    I'm with this guy. No point buying something weird. Get an Asian bike. Like a Triumph.
    Triumph build quality out of Thailand is better than the BMW G310GS built out of India! I guess that makes this little GS Asian too.

Interestingly, Yamaha XSR700 that I had was made in France!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Aren't KTM moving manufacturing to China as well.

It all depends on the QA.

I have got some good suggestions so far. Too bad dealers aren't open on Sundays, I just have one day a week to do my rest rides (Saturday).

Bike
    Blog Entries
    The small KTooms are already made in India, so that will feel like home.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Aren't KTM moving manufacturing to China as well.
    The small KTMs are made in India already. India sells a lot of bikes but they have high import tariffs, so a manufacturer wanting to sell there has to build there.

Ooops a double up there...
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    The small KTooms are already made in India, so that will feel like home.
    Bajaj, an Indian manufacturer, owns 48% shares of KTM. Not that it matters as long what's produced is of good quality (Jaguar is owned by India's Tata Group).

Thread Information