Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New bike recommendation

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    What about a V-Strom? Either a 650 or 1000...

and, if you feel you need to, spend a little on setting up the suspension to suit you.

Bike
    2 675R's & a Tracer GT
    Jeeper, you ruled out the MTs earlier on. But a Tracer 7 or 9 should fit nicely. Maybe a test ride? I am biased..
    Do us all a favour, by bringing yourself up to speed, before pulling onto the motorway.

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)
    If you want a dual sport tourer, something like a Tenere 700? Whatever speaks to you really, a weekend toy might look different to a tourer, maybe a Z900?

"Clothes make the man. I believe that. You say to me you want to go shopping, you want to buy clothes, but you don't know what kind. You leave that hanging in the air, like I'm going to fill in the blank, that to me is like asking me who you are, and I don't know who you are." - Ossie Davis

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    Thinking about changing my bike. Bought the BMW G310GS about 3 years ago purely for commuting as it was really comfortable for my size. COVID took care of the commuting problem (mostly work from home now).

What I was looking at now is something that can actually do some out of city travelling occasionally. I am 187 cms and at an age where sports bikes are out of the equation (that addresses any Busa or H2 types). Bike does not have to be LAMS.

What would be a good candidate from the touring or dual purpose choices? Budget is not too small or too big, this would be for fun and mental destress.

I have no intention to take it off road, that's what the Jeep is for.

Appreciate the combined wisdom of the group in suggesting some good candidates.
    All road: KTM mini ADV bike thingy - the 690 or 790.

On road - Triumph Street Triple - still the best road bike I've ever had. Cheaper is the Yamaha XSR thingy - 900cc and good reviews. I know someone who has one. You have to budget for a shock (Nitron) and fork rebuild (KSS) because the stock suspension is shit apparently.

Remember kids: gee gaws "improve" your bike for the credulous. Suspension upgrades actually improve it for use.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    All road: KTM mini ADV bike thingy - the 690 or 790.

On road - Triumph Street Triple - still the best road bike I've ever had. Cheaper is the Yamaha XSR thingy - 900cc and good reviews. I know someone who has one. You have to budget for a shock (Nitron) and fork rebuild (KSS) because the stock suspension is shit apparently.

Remember kids: gee gaws "improve" your bike for the credulous. Suspension upgrades actually improve it for use.
    All good points. I had XSR700 at some point, suspension was budget.

Bike
    Ducati Monster 821
    How are your knees? I reckon a KTM Superduke would meet the criteria, although if that's a bit transformer-esk for you a Ducati monster might work if you're ok with something a bit more ropey.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be quoted out of context, then used against you.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    I am partial to a nice BMW, both cars and bikes. I have looked at a few but not seriously. Do you have any suggestions? Not looking at the biggest GSs, but something middle weight and power.

Your budget may not allow it as these are new bikes, but the BMW F900R would tick most of the boxes you specified.

There are a few F800Rs about that would not break the bank, not sure the motors in them would compete with the Triumph triples or the KTM offerings.

The GS versions in that class are actually more off road orientated than the big ones, apart from the F700, again, might be a bit tame for you.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Ok, so far recommendations are:

Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
    Triumph Street Triple
    Honda NC750X
    Suzuki V-Strom 650XA
    Kawasaki Z900
    Yamaha Tenere 700
    Moto Guzzi V85TT
    BMW F750GS
    KTM 790 Adventure
    Yamaha Tracer 900
    BMW F900R

This past weekend I have managed to cross out a few suggestions. RE, didn't excite any part of my brain. Triumph Street Triple, mostly for the seating position as it was putting pressure on my wrist (uncomfortable due to existing damage). Honda might be the most durable, but it also didn't excite me.

As the dealers are closed on Sunday, I ran out of time. Bottom end of the list is at the upper limit of the budget (or even a little over). I am now left with:

Suzuki V-Strom 650XA
    Kawasaki Z900
    Yamaha Tenere 700
    Moto Guzzi V85TT
    BMW F750GS
    KTM 790 Adventure
    Yamaha Tracer 900
    BMW F900R

Bike
    2013 DL650A V-Strom McCruise Added
    The Strom is a good choice for reliability & gravel roads with lots of options to customise if needed later .
    As for power , I remember passing a milk tanker heading over to Napier , halfway thru the overtake thought the bike needed to go up a gear , glanced at the dash see I'm in top gear & doing 140 kms .
    So bags of power in the full power model, the motor cruises easily but doesn't mind working hard .

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by reasonable View Post
    The Strom is a good choice for reliability & gravel roads with lots of options to customise if needed later .
    As for power , I remember passing a milk tanker heading over to Napier , halfway thru the overtake thought the bike needed to go up a gear , glanced at the dash see I'm in top gear & doing 140 kms .
    So bags of power in the full power model, the motor cruises easily but doesn't mind working hard .
    I said something similar to a chap looking at bikes in our local Suzuki shop. Anything with 50-75 HP will be fine.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by reasonable View Post
    I can't find a 650 Strom in stock where I can get a feel for it, not in Auckland or even Hamilton. I can find 1050s though, but I'm not sure that is what I want.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    I can't find a 650 Strom in stock where I can get a feel for it, not in Auckland or even Hamilton. I can find 1050s though, but I'm not sure that is what I want.
    I am surprised that neither of the Auckland dealers have nothing available for you to sample.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    I am surprised that neither of the Auckland dealers have nothing available for you to sample.
    Supply is really constrained at present. It's not just Suzuki, every brand is struggling. Yet, the demand is high. Have you seen the used bike prices lately?

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Having owned a 650 VStrom previously as well as having the V85 now I can confirm that they are similar in overall performance. The Guzzi has more horsepower but is a little heavier and has shaft drive compared to the chain of the Strom which saps a little more power.

No chain oiling or adjustment to worry about though.

Of the two I'd choose the Guzzi - Mainly because of the extra personality it has over the Strom. The Suzi is a cracking bike and you'll never go far wrong with one but the Guzzi just has that certain 'Something' that gets under your skin.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Like Scabies?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information