Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New bike recommendation

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Last two weekends and lots of test rides later, my list and budget is basically gone crazy.

Suzuki V-Strom 650XA - engine is so benign I felt I was on a smaller bike.

Kawasaki Z900 - no stock available any time soon.

Yamaha Tenere 700 - no stock available any time soon.

Moto Guzzi V85TT - can see but can't ride as no demos available.

BMW F750GS - too small for my size and engine felt under powered (it's detuned a bit much). Tried F850GS and the engine is much better, though 21" front wheel felt a little awkward for commuting.

KTM 790 Adventure - wife didn't like the styling. I have been vetoed.

Yamaha Tracer 900 - no stock available any time soon.

BMW F900R - too small for my size, but the engine is beautiful. So tried F900XR, more balanced by still felt a little cramped for my legs.

So now the list has evolved to:

Triumph Tiger 900

Ducati Multistrada 950

Both options are way north of the $20k budget. Time to renegotiate my budget.

Bike
    KTM
    wait, your WIFE didn't like the styling so she vetoed the 790 Adventure?

lmao

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    So next time she is clothes shopping remind her of your power of veto.

Sorry love. I know peephole tops went out in the 90s but, well, I kinda like them, so. . . .
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    So next time she is clothes shopping remind her of your power of veto.

Sorry love. I know peephole tops went out in the 90s but, well, I kinda like them, so. . . .
    A healthy relationship works with give and take. We both carry veto powers for things we absolutely don't like.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Would agree for a new settee, some curtains or whiteware but this is your bike man.

KTM 690 Enduro?

Not sure whether that question is aimed at you or your wife to be honest.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Would agree for a new settee, some curtains or whiteware but this is your bike man.

KTM 690 Enduro?

Not sure whether that question is aimed at you or your wife to be honest.
    Enduro? For road use? I have no intention of taking the bike off-road (that's what I use my Jeep for).

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    A healthy relationship works with give and take. We both carry veto powers for things we absolutely don't like.
    A healthy relationship works with some respect. I mean unless she is intending on riding it as well?, or perhaps you are parking it in the lounge?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    A healthy relationship works with some respect. I mean unless she is intending on riding it as well?, or perhaps you are parking it in the lounge?
    She does intend to be a pillion initially, but possibly a rider herself in the future. I respect her opinions and she respects mine. I'm not a fan of the KTM headlights and orange myself as well, but sometimes looks can be ignored for functionality.

There are no 890s available anywhere yet. 790 is an outgoing model. I try to avoid last year and first year production vehicles.

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sichoe View Post
    wait, your WIFE didn't like the styling so she vetoed the 790 Adventure? lmao
    I work with a guy who told his wife "I'm going to buy a motorbike". Her response "It's your money, do what you like" ... and he believed her! Heard the words but obviously not the tone.

I built a large part of a wedding speech warning the groom about 'The things women say' (and what they really mean).
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    It was on the good
    Enduro? For road use? I have no intention of taking the bike off-road (that's what I use my Jeep for).
    Now I question myself. For the sake of my knees and my licence I am about to end 30 years of sports bike ownership and have narrowed down my replacement to that one bike. Was thinking 95 percent on road with the occasional blat on a trail with our lad but the reality is that will be one or two weekends a year while I will commute daily on back roads and a bit of 'motorway'.

My first bike was a KMX125. Guess I have just always hankered after a bigger version.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    I work with a guy who told his wife "I'm going to buy a motorbike". Her response "It's your money, do what you like" ... and he believed her! Heard the words but obviously not the tone.

I built a large part of a wedding speech warning the groom about 'The things women say' (and what they really mean).
    Brilliant!

Back in 1987, I got back into motorcycling after a long layoff. I would be the first to admit that pre-purchase discussions with my wife didn't meet her exacting standards. The outcome was that she was "a tad miffed" and bought a piano which was almost exactly twice the price of my GB400. Lesson well-learned and kudos to Jeeper for knowing what's good for him. We celebrate our 49th anniversary in July so I clearly know what's good for me too

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Brilliant!

Back in 1987, I got back into motorcycling after a long layoff. I would be the first to admit that pre-purchase discussions with my wife didn't meet her exacting standards. The outcome was that she was "a tad miffed" and bought a piano which was almost exactly twice the price of my GB400. Lesson well-learned and kudos to Jeeper for knowing what's good for him. We celebrate our 49th anniversary in July so I clearly know what's good for me too
    Congratulations, we will celebrate our 27th this year soon. She's fine with me buying whichever bike I want, she's never been opposed to me getting a bike. But there are certain hints one must learn for long term happiness.

Bike
    Sold
    Congratulations, we will celebrate our 27th this year soon. She's fine with me buying whichever bike I want, she's never been opposed to me getting a bike. But there are certain hints one must learn for long term happiness.
    And the same to you Jeeper My wife is an ex-primary school teacher and has been known to remark that it's sometimes like living with a 5 year old. By and large, I can interpret the signals fairly well but must admit the enthusiasm for getting back into riding swamped my caution on that occasion

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Last two weekends and lots of test rides later, my list and budget is basically gone crazy.

Suzuki V-Strom 650XA - engine is so benign I felt I was on a smaller bike.

Did you have a go on the 1000?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Did you have a go on the 1000?
    No, I was trying to not be tempted by 1000cc plus machines this time round. But the shops are open this Saturday, I could go and see if I can take one for a test ride. There is no replacement for displacement as far as torque is concerned.

Thread Information