Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New bike recommendation

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S

New bike recommendation

Thinking about changing my bike. Bought the BMW G310GS about 3 years ago purely for commuting as it was really comfortable for my size. COVID took care of the commuting problem (mostly work from home now).

What I was looking at now is something that can actually do some out of city travelling occasionally. I am 187 cms and at an age where sports bikes are out of the equation (that addresses any Busa or H2 types). Bike does not have to be LAMS.

What would be a good candidate from the touring or dual purpose choices? Budget is not too small or too big, this would be for fun and mental destress.

I have no intention to take it off road, that's what the Jeep is for.

Appreciate the combined wisdom of the group in suggesting some good candidates.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    If I wuz in your situation I would be looking at triples.

Purely because their are a number of choices and they all get good reviews. Summit different, too.

Sorry for not being more specific but you do have very wide briefs.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    If I wuz in your situation I would be looking at triples.

Purely because their are a number of choices and they all get good reviews. Summit different, too.

Sorry for not being more specific but you do have very wide briefs.
    Triples (Yamaha and Triumph) are definitely a contender.

My "style" is more retro than transformer type things (MT09, actually the entire MT series). I have owned XSR700, liked the style and how it went but the factory suspension was basic at best.

Brief is wide because I have not fixed myself to any one particular brand at this stage.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Well I would opt for something easy, comfortable, enough 'grunt' for fun, and able to do distances, with 'enough' power for overtaking?

I'd suggest a serious look at the Enfield Interceptor 650.

I've ridden a GT650 (same engine frame, just a cafe' racer type) was a good bit of fun, handles well, light, but same sort of performance as an old Bonneville (50bhp).
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    Thinking about changing my bike. Bought the BMW G310GS about 3 years ago purely for commuting as it was really comfortable for my size. COVID took care of the commuting problem (mostly work from home now).

What I was looking at now is something that can actually do some out of city travelling occasionally. I am 187 cms and at an age where sports bikes are out of the equation (that addresses any Busa or H2 types). Bike does not have to be LAMS.

What would be a good candidate from the touring or dual purpose choices? Budget is not too small or too big, this would be for fun and mental destress.

I have no intention to take it off road, that's what the Jeep is for.

Appreciate the combined wisdom of the group in suggesting some good candidates.
    How much do you have to spend?

What type of road riding are you looking at doing?

What characteristics do you want from your new bike?

Where are you located in relation to dealerships?

You need to be a bit more specific if KBers can give you any real help on this one.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I think you should be looking at 4s.
    Specifically V4s.
    Specifically 2 stroke V4s.

There I've narrowed it down to 1. Easy.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    How much do you have to spend?

What type of road riding are you looking at doing?

What characteristics do you want from your new bike?

Where are you located in relation to dealerships?

You need to be a bit more specific if KBers can give you any real help on this one.

Pretty much as above. My recommendations would be totally different to somebody who wants a bike comfortable enough to ride to the twisties with the intention of carving them up once getting there, than it would be for someone who wants to explore the gravel roads, someone getting into endurance riding, or someone that just wants to trundle down State Highway One. More information is definitely required.

Your current bike will handle long distance out of town rides totally fine (I once rode a CBR250 from Cromwell to Auckland with no issues at all). What is it you are specifically looking for in your next bike?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    2006 BMW R1200GS
    I tell you straight away my comment is not helpful but ... questions like yours always sound to me like if someone says "My girlfriend left me. I am now looking for a new girlfriend. What do you suggest? Blond? Brunette, Dark hair? More the athletic type? Long legs? Big...?" you get the picture.

Bike
    Appreciate everyone's telling me I need to provide a bit more clarity.

How much do you have to spend? - $15-20k (+/- depends on how much I like the bike).

What type of road riding are you looking at doing? - a bit of twisties, a bit of longer distance. Commuting occasionally if I have to but even then it's only a 10km ride each way to town. Cruiser or sport bike sitting position is uncomfortable for my back (past injuries). Mid-weight dual sport or touring type bikes are what fit my frame and posture better.

What characteristics do you want from your new bike? - straighter sitting position. I appreciate low end torque more than redline horsepower. One thing I don't like about the single cylinder bike I have at the moment is how buzzy it becomes at highway speeds. Anything more than 20 minutes at 100+ is uncomfortable. In around town, it's acceptable. I know people have taken this G310GS half way around the world, more power to them. It's not the bike for me long term.

Where are you located in relation to dealerships? - I'm in Auckland central. Takapuna, Manukau or CBD is easy reach.

As for the color of hair of my next girlfriend, my wife might have some issues with that. A tall brunette bike is what I'm looking for.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW_BeMyWings View Post
    I tell you straight away my comment is not helpful but ... questions like yours always sound to me like if someone says "My girlfriend left me. I am now looking for a new girlfriend. What do you suggest? Blond? Brunette, Dark hair? More the athletic type? Long legs? Big...?" you get the picture.
    I am partial to a nice BMW, both cars and bikes. I have looked at a few but not seriously. Do you have any suggestions? Not looking at the biggest GSs, but something middle weight and power.

Bike
    Sold
    Well, as I've got older, my preference has been for lighter weight bikes and I find riding them more pleasurable. Having had bigger capacity bikes and also owned a Street Triple and the current Duke 790, the smaller bikes lose absolutely nothing to bigger bikes in normal road riding. Do a heap of window shopping and then a test ride or two on the favoured ones because you might be in for a pleasant surprise. The Street Triple wasn't tops on my list but after riding it, I just had to buy it. Ditto for my current ride, the Duke 790. The GSX-S 1000 which I had before the Duke was a disappointment, despite its performance. Simply didn't light my fire. Take your time until you find something which really hits the spot. You'll know when you find it.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW_BeMyWings View Post
    I"My girlfriend left me. I am now looking for a new girlfriend. What do you suggest? Blond? Brunette, Dark hair? More the athletic type? Long legs? Big...?"
    Obviously the right answer is One who has her own Girlfriend.

So if we relate this back to the question:

The Bike that allows you to get another Bike to ride at the weekends.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    I'd recommend a later model of my bike, the Honda NC750X.

But probably nobody else would.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    I'd recommend a later model of my bike, the Honda NC750X.

But probably nobody else would.
    New is $14k -
    More upright sitting position -
    Seat height 830mm -

I'll do some more checking. Thanks.

Is this the one with half a Honda Jazz/Fit car engine though?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    The Bike that allows you to get another Bike to ride at the weekends.
    Got the permission without limitations.

Thread Information