Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil analysis - new bikes

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S

Oil analysis - new bikes

https://youtu.be/9GAUo8eUXeU

Another educational video from Ryan and the team.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    I'll stick to what the motorcycle manufacturer recommends thank you.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Crikey, who would have picked that result?

Well, 1st place anyhoo.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Crikey, who would have picked that result?

Well, 1st place anyhoo.
    Surprised, definitely.

Bike
    Sold
    Particle size measurement is only part of the story. Spectroscopy is the other part to determine wear debris composition and where it's coming from (bearings, rings, the bore etc). Industrial tribology and plant condition monitoring was part of my remit before I retired from the pulp and paper industry. Our company got to try Mobil 1 in some of our vehicles when it was still being developed and samples were analysed on a monthly basis. The wear debris from Mobil 1 was significantly less than the regular multigrade we used but the high cost outweighed the benefit at that stage so we continued with multigrade. It's a complicated field but you can make it less complicated by sticking in the recommended lube for peace of mind

Bike
    Street Triple R
    One of my friends runs a business with a lot of heavy earthmoving machinery and they routinely send oil samples out for analysis - every oil, every service. Money well spent he said.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    One of my friends runs a business with a lot of heavy earthmoving machinery and they routinely send oil samples out for analysis - every oil, every service. Money well spent he said.
    It is indeed. All our critical plant was maintained using statistics from oil analysis trends. The cost of repairs wasn't so much of an issue, it was the cost of unplanned downtime on plant which ran 24/7 that was the killer. If a key piece of plant suddenly showed an upward trend in wear debris, we could plan accordingly rather than it shit itself in the middle of a production run with a shipping deadline.

Bike
    A
    Interesting enough video. Kinda like Ryan's no nonsense type of approach.

Personally I've never worried about sampling oil on my bikes, simply dump oil and replace filter each time, good quality oil and stick to sensible change intervals.

Different game when talking big machines, then oil sampling becomes a good value for money proposition. Like Blackbird mentioned, unplanned downtime is a killer on the revenue front, but then so is dumping oil when it has useful life left.

Bike
    I believe Ryan was just using factory fill to test as a proxy for quality of manufacturing for new engines. What's interesting to me to see would have been which bike had a quality oil filter and it's content.

Oil analysis for maintenance and preventative monitoring is fairly common in many industries (ships, railways, earthmoving). Unplanned breakdown costs money (repair and lost production).

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I hesitate to mention this, but if you want to take a deep dive into a wacky world of oil analysis and TLA's, try this: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    PS. There's an extensive article on base oils on the home page.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Here's another worthwhile read which I found when looking for a new screen for my V85tt:

https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oil.html

I watched Fortnine's video too. Interesting stuff it must be said.

MC Garage's Ari Henning did a good video about engine break-in fairly recently too. Similarly surprising results.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    In fairness to the Chinese motor, I have a GG Randonee trials bike with an air cooled, single cylinder Chong Chen motor, or some such.

Basically a TT125 knock off.

The motor has never missed a beat and despite wringing it's neck for the last few years the oil is always clean when I change it.

No filter, either. It may have a screen somewhere.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    I watched this video just days after purchasing my first ever Italian bike and V-Twin - an Aprillia

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    So I was thinking about this on the way home. Let's unpack it.

First service oil change. We're measuring the running in stage.

Ball bearings dont run in, the are all perfectly rounded to start with. Plain bearings are held away from each other with a film of oil and never actually touch. Gears are all hardened. So, then there's the clutch. By definition it is wearing several surfaces together. Also the rings bedding into the bore.

In the old days of iron liners that was a real thing. With plated liners that still happens, but only a tickle and of course rings are different and can be quite soft against a super hard bore but once run in ride on a film of oil.

So, what if the Chinese bike in the test had an iron liner? Would be a lot more dirty in initial stages. And clutch material could be quite different. That's what we are left measuring. Unless we are to believe they are assembling engines next to the grinding shop, I think that proclaiming one engine is better than the other because of the running in phase oil check.
    Well that's drawing a long bow, and I call bullshit on it.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information