Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GSF250 1992 GJ74A issues

Bike
    Gsf250

GSF250 1992 GJ74A issues

Hey team,

My bike has just had the carbs rebuilt and is still not running right, it’s hard to start and unless you ride it like you stole it the carbs still flood and fouled brand new spark plugs.. I don’t know where to look for the issue, my mechanic is putting in new spark plugs but I don’t think that will sort the real issue.

Any help appreciated !

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsf250 GJ74A View Post
    Hey team,

My bike has just had the carbs rebuilt and is still not running right, it’s hard to start and unless you ride it like you stole it the carbs still flood and fouled brand new spark plugs.. I don’t know where to look for the issue, my mechanic is putting in new spark plugs but I don’t think that will sort the real issue.

Any help appreciated !
    Find another mechanic. One that knows what they're doing.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Gsf250
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I was under the impression he’s one of the best especially in my area..
    Already paid a little fortune on it with him with the carb rebuild so hoping he can sort it, otherwise who do you recommend in Auckland ?

Bike
    GSXR1000
    If the carbs are flooding putting new spark plugs in won't fix that. So if that was his suggestion as a fix I'd be concerned, but if he suggested it because they do actually need replacing then fine. But i wouldn't be doing that until I had the flooding issue fixed. Of course this does suggest the rebuild was not done correctly. I, on the surface, can see FJR's point.

Edit - Just read that you mentioned it's already had new plugs. You've paid for a rebuild that has not been done correctly by the sounds of it.

Bike
    Gsf250
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    If the carbs are flooding putting new spark plugs in won't fix that. So if that was his suggestion as a fix I'd be concerned, but if he suggested it because they do actually need replacing then fine. But i wouldn't be doing that until I had the flooding issue fixed. Of course this does suggest the rebuild was not done correctly. I, on the surface, can see FJR's point.

Edit - Just read that you mentioned it's already had new plugs. You've paid for a rebuild that has not been done correctly by the sounds of it.
    Yeah I see both your points for sure, I’ve just already dropped 1.5K into it with this mechanic and don’t want to be putting more into rather just see if he can fix it considering you can almost buy the bike for what has been invested.. Might be time to start teaching myself the mechanics of this bike..

Bike
    NC30s
    If you buy an old carbureted bike, you need to be able to work on it yourself. A basic carb strip, clean, and rebuild is pretty easy once you get stuck in, and it's pretty fun learning about how the different bits work. They're fascinating pieces of engineering.

IIRC on the 92 GSF250 the carb bank pops off easily with very little fucking around. I'd recommend you ask the mechanic exactly what he did to the carbs, and why they might still be flooding. It could be an electrical issue, which is fairly easy to check, or you could be way too rich on the A/F screws, could be floats set too high, pilot jets too large, there are just so many variables here that take time to diagnose and test (which is why is costs so bloody much to have a mechanic do work on an old bike!).
    Even if he does fix the issue, you need to learn how to test and service everything yourself, otherwise you're gonna be forking out another $1K+ next time you need work done.

There are a lot of hobbyist forums dedicated to old jap bikes with all the information you could ever need. I'm sure you'll be able to find one for the GSF.

Good luck, and I hope you get her running right.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Already paid a little fortune on it with him with the carb rebuild so hoping he can sort it, otherwise who do you recommend in Auckland ?
    For a start ... I do not live in Auckland. Nor do I want too.

I have not been in Auckland since I was there in 1985 ... to see the Queen concert at Mount Smart stadium.

I personally would find a wrecker that has one. Most are online and have telephones. Find one and ring them.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    If I were you ... I'd move. If he was one of the best in your area ... it doesn't say much for your area. Which bit are you in ... just so everybody knows where to avoid moving to ...

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Ok here is part of the answer.

The choke cct is blocked. You will need a set of micro drills less than 1mm. From where the carb choke plungers close there will be a hole straight down. It will be blocked. Also there will be a hole in the float bowls that the tube fits into. It also will be blocked.

That will solve you hard start issue. Carbs on small bikes get blocked by modern petrol especially if sitting.
    People think they have cleaned the carbs but they haven't gotten to critical passages.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    If your mechanic rebuilt the carbs and they're flooding, I'd be suggesting he finish the job he started - at no charge. It's a grey area. Usually if the shop fucks something they'll fix it for free. He hasn't actually stuffed anything up, but he hasn't fixed it either.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Gsf250
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    If your mechanic rebuilt the carbs and they're flooding, I'd be suggesting he finish the job he started - at no charge. It's a grey area. Usually if the shop fucks something they'll fix it for free. He hasn't actually stuffed anything up, but he hasn't fixed it either.
    Update;
    Took bike back to mechanic and he thought I “messed” with the carbs after the rebuild and is making adjustments and putting special plugs in, says the carbs are pretty worn out ? Not so sure how bad they could be to change the set up after a rebuild? Overall excited to get the bike back and hoping I don’t get any more issues with this bike.

Thanks everyone for the help and insight!

Bike
    77 XL250
    "says the carbs are pretty worn out" --- after a 'rebuild'? I would follow the suggestions of finding another mechanic.
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    Gsf250
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadpole View Post
    "says the carbs are pretty worn out" --- after a 'rebuild'? I would follow the suggestions of finding another mechanic.
    Yeah that was what I was thinking to be honest... but confused how he rebuilt it then it turned to shit after 1 little ride and then thought I played around with the carb haha. Ohwell live and learn

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Yeah that was what I was thinking to be honest... but confused how he rebuilt it then it turned to shit after 1 little ride and then thought I played around with the carb haha. Ohwell live and learn
    Perhaps ... he spent enough of his time (and your money) turning a shitbox motorcycle ... into something rideable. If he'd spent more of his time (and your money) on "Worn out" carbs ... you could have got a later model motorcycle already going (well). Have you actually looked for better carbs for it .. ?? Or even priced getting the one's you have worked on .. ??

You only came on here when everything turned to shit for you. Then were expecting us to make it all good for you.

The guy may well be a good mechanic ... but not a miracle worker.

There's been a few suggestions offered on here ... seems like you have decisions to make.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Perhaps ... he spent enough of his time (and your money) turning a shitbox motorcycle ... into something rideable. If he'd spent more of his time (and your money) on "Worn out" carbs ... you could have got a later model motorcycle already going (well). Have you actually looked for better carbs for it .. ?? Or even priced getting the one's you have worked on .. ??

You only came on here when everything turned to shit for you. Then were expecting us to make it all good for you.

The guy may well be a good mechanic ... but not a miracle worker.

There's been a few suggestions offered on here ... seems like you have decisions to make.
    Ithe mechanic said he REBUILT the cardbs. So is up to the machanic to sort it out. If he was having any issues he should have contacted the customer told the customer the problem and deside where to go from there.

The youngin paid good money to have the bike sorted. it wasn't. It is as easy as that.

Thread Information