Thread: Bluetooth adapter for walkie talkie

Bike
    Niken, Hypermotard, ST1100, F650, Evoke

Bluetooth adapter for walkie talkie

I've just invested in a new Neotec 2 with built in Sena comms.
    It's awesome !

But I have a ProRider training course coming up where we'll all be handed walkie talkie radios and an earpiece on a wire to tuck inside my helmet.
    I've used these before and they're a bit below average.

What I'd really like, is a widget that plugs into the earphone port on the walkie talkie and converts it to Bluetooth that then syncs to my Sena.

Any suggestions please ?

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Sena make a device called the SR10 which is built for precisely what you are describing.
    I had one and it worked beautifully with both SENA and Cardo helmet units.
    Now the bad news, they are about $300 new, and you will need to spend an additional $75ish for the correct cable to connect the SR10 to your particular walkie talkie.
    There are a variety of form factors available depending on the brand of radio.
    So, unless you are going to use a 2 way radio on a very regular basis (which I did at the time I had one) I think that option might be a tad overkill for your one day course.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I used an SR10 as an instructor, to avoid having to be plugged up during courses I was taking. I would have just used mesh BT, but not every person who comes on a course has a BT set.

The SR10 doesn't transmit though, it only relays from the radio to and from your helmet. If your instructor uses radio instead of bluetooth, you'll need an SR10 to adapt his transmissions back to BT for your helmet.

Like someone else said, the SR10 is good, but it's radio-brand specific, and you need the correct adapter for the instructors brand of radio. It's not very practical, really, as a student.

A lot of Ride Forever instructors use BT, but some still use radio.

Bike
    Niken, Hypermotard, ST1100, F650, Evoke
    Instructor is using Bao Feng UV-3R+ UHF radio which has a 2.5mm headset socket.

Bought an Airfly Classic brand new in the packet for $20 from a pawn shop, normally about $60
    https://www.twelvesouth.com/products/airfly

And a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter from Jaycar.

According to the Airfly website this product should do the trick, getting audio from the trainer supplied UHF radio converted to Bluetooth.

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    >I used an SR10 as an instructor
    What sort of setup is there on the police bikes?
    =mjc=

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by jim.cox View Post
    What sort of setup is there on the police bikes?
    They have gone to a secure Buetooth setup, not long after I left, actually. Standard Bluetooth is able to be hacked, but secure BT is able to transfer data securely.

They have a unit that is a send/receive handpiece which is cabled to their helmet, so that when away from the bike they still get comms. It's like a handset, attacahed to their vest.

They need that, as when riding the PTT button is on the handlebars, and that won't work when you are away from the bike, obviously.

It's PTT both on and off the bike, whereas most BT sets are voice operated, or at least can be set up as such.

This is why it ook so long for the Police to go BT, the technology wasn't avaiable to meet the security standard until maybe 2016 or so.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Euro2018 View Post
    Instructor is using Bao Feng UV-3R+ UHF radio which has a 2.5mm headset socket.

Bought an Airfly Classic brand new in the packet for $20 from a pawn shop, normally about $60
    https://www.twelvesouth.com/products/airfly

And a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter from Jaycar.

According to the Airfly website this product should do the trick, getting audio from the trainer supplied UHF radio converted to Bluetooth.
    Tech is advancing significantly ove rtime. Those look lime they might be the go for listening.

But no PTT button to key the radio to transmit. The SR10 has a PTT (press to talk) function, and a button that goes on your left hand grip, for your thumb to access.

Bike
    Road King
    Blog Entries

Microphone

I just use a speakermic. I can hear it up to 100kph. Works for me on my own shitter. The radio is in the screen glove box and the antenna is mounted on the back of thd bike.
    Just another leather clad Tinkerbell.
    The Wanker on the Fucking Harley is going for a ride!

Thread Information