Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "LAMS" bike with a sneaky slip on

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoonicorn View Post
    When I contacted my insurance company about modifications, all they wanted to know was the increased value of the bike.
    A lot of exhausts are labelled as "not for street use. race/track only." and I've never heard of bikes with those fitted probably not getting their claims paid out.
    Increased value ... increased premiums. That's their business ...

But the actual increase in Horsepower from those mufflers is about (at best) a claimed 2-3%. With a small bike developing 20 Hp ... the increase isn't that radical ... or barely noticeable. But the "Increase" in Hp is there ... and that is all that's mentioned and wanted.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    The primary concern of NZTA regarding LAM's class motorcycles was modifications causing a change in the power/weight ratio. The wording as I recall ... was no modification allowed for the purpose of increasing the power/weight ratio. Also ... NO such requirement was added to 250cc and below motorcycles (other than those in that range already prohibited) as being under 251cc ... were automatically regarded as being in the LAM's class. Remember the LAM's class is officially between 251cc and 660cc motorcycles

As long as the motorcycle (on the LAM's list) was within the prescribed (and allowed) ratio ... it was still a LAM's class motorcycle. I know of a few that were stopped for this reason ... bikes tested (Cop was a prick) ... legislation discussed with a Lawyer present ... and being allowed.

Now ... surprise surprise ... it's in black and white and easily understandable legal description.

As an aside ... I recall reading in a motorcycle magazine (I cant recall which one) about some of the older LAM's class motorcycles being allowed non original parts (exhausts etc) simply as the original items were now unobtainable.

All in all ... common sense applies ...
    I just find it interesting that legislative power has been deferred to a desk jockey outside of the proper realms of power.
    Pretty much everything on legislation.govt.nz has been thru public consultation, debating chamber etc....
    Opens a dangerous back door for some greenie lunatic to hasten demise of bikes and or petrol power when some nobody has ability to modify LTSA website although it has worked out in bikers favour in this case.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    I just find it interesting that legislative power has been deferred to a desk jockey outside of the proper realms of power.
    Pretty much everything on legislation.govt.nz has been thru public consultation, debating chamber etc....
    Opens a dangerous back door for some greenie lunatic to hasten demise of bikes and or petrol power when some nobody has ability to modify LTSA website although it has worked out in bikers favour in this case.
    You mean some UNNAMED nobody .. ?? I'm guessing that those people with enough authority to change anything on the website ... is far from being a "Nobody". Probably not much more than a head of department though ...

Occasionally ... even bureaucratic plebes have a spell of simple common sense.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Years ago BIKE magazine dyno tested some after market exhausts. The best gave only a modest power increase, from memory 1 to 3HP, and nobody can even feel that. Some actually gave less power than the standard exhaust. Most did reduce weight though.

A full system with the appropriate chip or similar, and a free flow air filter, might give slightly more HP and save considerable weight, but you'll be out thousands of dollars.
    More than a 250 is worth.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    However ... if the power to weight ratio is not over the required level ... should not the motorcycle be a legal LAM's class motorcycle ... regardless of the modifications .. ??
    As long as it's under 660cc and meets the power to weight formula you can apply to have it added to the LAMS list. The list is a lot longer now than when it was a new thing, new models are being added all the time. The desk jockeys outside of the proper realms of power have been busy.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information