Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eight days through the South Island

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Thanks Frodo - I'm loving the photos and commentary.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Great photos. It definitely sounds like a good time for a trip at the moment with less tourists around.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    2009 Kawasaki Versys 650
    What a beautiful place you have here. The view is amazing and sounds like a fun trip. Btw, do you use a motorcycle exhaust system on this ride? I am planning to install one on my bike, but I do not know which product to consider.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Fantastic quality pictures, thanks for sharing.

You are in Kapiti and I don't think we have ever met? I did Molesworth in December for the first time but out of ignorance I lead the crew in pouring rain down Jollies Pass to get to Hanmer Springs. It was extremely rough and we all surprised ourselves for getting through. Later I looked up the map and discovered a 'Jack's Pass' was nearby! Doh.

You were brave doing that trip on your own. Well done that man.

I'm keen to go back and do the Rainbow and Molesworth combo in Jan or Feb maybe next year if you are interested let me know.
    Mark
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Fantastic quality pictures, thanks for sharing.

You are in Kapiti and I don't think we have ever met? I did Molesworth in December for the first time but out of ignorance I lead the crew in pouring rain down Jollies Pass to get to Hanmer Springs. It was extremely rough and we all surprised ourselves for getting through. Later I looked up the map and discovered a 'Jack's Pass' was nearby! Doh.

You were brave doing that trip on your own. Well done that man.

I'm keen to go back and do the Rainbow and Molesworth combo in Jan or Feb maybe next year if you are interested let me know.
    Mark
    Hi mark

Always up for a coffee...
    I did the Molesworth / Rainbow double a few years ago on my Aprilia Pegaso Trail. The Rainbow was quite easy on a dual sport bike, but would be more of a challenge on the Aprilia Shiver. I did consider it briefly this time. The main issue would be dropping the bike in a ford.

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    Thanks for the nice comments.
    The journey continues...

I then rode inland over the Lindis Pass.

And towards Aoraki Mt Cook. This is a bit of a cliche image, but was a brilliant day!

As I rode closer, the sheer bulk of the mountain became even more impressive than its height.

My campsite for the night (blue tent to the bottom right) under Mt Sefton with its cacophony of avalanches rumbling down its steep flanks.

I got up early the next morning for the sunrise on Mt Sefton and Hooker Lake.

And the first rays of light on Aoraki Mt Cook.

The clouds whipping off the top of Mt Sefton heralded the wind I would battle with a day later.

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    The last couple of days.

I had a bit of a late start so not so much to report.
    This is a view back across Lake Pukaki towards Aoraki Mt Cook. I played with the contrast a little to highlight the clouds to compare with the photo I took the previous day. The lenticular clouds signalled the wind that would plague me for the rest of the trip.

The rest of the day provided pleasant, rather than stunning, riding.

Lunch in Geraldine. As I was mostly camping, I tried to get a good lunchtime meal.

I planned to camp at Rakaia Gorge beside the Rakaia River. However, the wind strengthens as it funnels through the gorge. Not without reason is a nearby town called "Windwhistle". So I rented a cabin at Mt Somers instead and had a peaceful sleep.
    I packed my bike under a glorious "northwest arch", indicating a stronger norwester later that day.

But the ride started off gloriously in a cool, still morning.

The first rays of sunshine caught up with me a few miles up the road. I stopped to try to record the scene. I captured the warm light, but not the moist air.
    For me, this photo summarises what motorcycle touring is about. The first rays of the sun promising a new day, the road winding off into the distance. The cool moist valleys (9'C) and the warm flats (already 16'C). A milk tanker driver glared at me as he drove past as I took this photo - he doesn't get it. A few moments later a BMW R1200GS waved out as he/she rode past - s/he clearly did! The sweet smell of a remnant forest. SPLAT!!! A large bug disintegrates on my visor, obscuring my view and bringing me back to reality!

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver

The wind strengthens as I approach Rakaia Gorge – just as well I didn’t camp there.
    A great latte in Oxford, then mundane roads that led me to State Highway 1. The traffic on the Highway in dramatic contrast to the quiet backroads I'd ridden to get here. I hadn't seen so many cars and trucks for a week. A Harley rider with girlfriend on the back, overtakes the car in front of me just as a large truck comes around the corner. Welcome back to the "real" world.
    In the distance, the Hundalees. I remember a great riding road, but lots of traffic and a 60km/h speed limit in many places made this a chore.

Lunch in Kaikoura- Nin's Bin: if not the best place to buy seafood in New Zealand, then certainly the most famous!

The clouds in the northern sky hinted at strong winds. As the temperature rose to 26’C, so did the wind strength. I battled the crosswinds riding north, seeing dark clouds towards Picton.

A light sprinkle of rain fell as I rode into the ferry.

A nice merlot (offsetting a mundane ferry meal) to celebrate a great trip!

And the full moon guides the ferry out through Tory Channel into Cook Strait. I can just make out the hills of home across the strait.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    I nominate this thread the best biking thread since lockdown!
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Certainly the best photos. I was going to say, that one surpasses the previous ones. And then the next one does. .
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2016 Honda ST1300,86/87 XJ900F,
    Great write up enjoyed following your adventure

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Good stuff
    I screen grabbed your map
    ONE day I might try and find those photo spots if I get lucky
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Great trip and report Frodo thanks! Sth Is is a very cool place to do it!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Thread Information