Thread: WoF Woes!!!!

Bike
    2018 BMW G310R

WoF Woes!!!!

The things you have to do to get a bloody WoF these days. My bike (BMW G310R) went into the main dealer in town on Wednesday to have the side stand replaced under a recall notice so I decided to kill two birds with one stone and booked it in for a WoF at the same time. Bugger me, they only went and failed it on the fact that the mud guard didn't cover the whole back wheel. Err yeah, I fitted a tail tidy to get rid of the fugly BMW mudguard that came fitted to the bike. What a load of bollocks! Who thinks this stuff up? Anyhow, half an hour of 'crafting' with a Stanley knife and some spare Coreflute and Bob's your aunty, done.

The ridiculous thing is, I can take this abomination off again until the next WoF is due and nobody will bat an eyelid - not even the cops! Oh well, at least the retest is free! Pain in the arse having to go back again though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210409_192123.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	806.3 KB 
ID:	348854   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210409_192152.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	794.0 KB 
ID:	348853  
    Only ever regret the things you didn't do!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Meanie View Post
    The things you have to do to get a bloody WoF these days. My bike (BMW G310R) went into the main dealer in town on Wednesday to have the side stand replaced under a recall notice so I decided to kill two birds with one stone and booked it in for a WoF at the same time. Bugger me, they only went and failed it on the fact that the mud guard didn't cover the whole back wheel. Err yeah, I fitted a tail tidy to get rid of the fugly BMW mudguard that came fitted to the bike. What a load of bollocks! Who thinks this stuff up? Anyhow, half an hour of 'crafting' with a Stanley knife and some spare Coreflute and Bob's your aunty, done.

The ridiculous thing is, I can take this abomination off again until the next WoF is due and nobody will bat an eyelid - not even the cops! Oh well, at least the retest is free! Pain in the arse having to go back again though.

I hope you don't have an insurance issue ... your bike not up to WOF standard may prevent a payout to you ... should the need arise. Read your policy just in case.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Hey. That's a verry nice.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Meanie View Post

so did the tail tidy mention that it may not get a warrant when fitted?

did you ask to see the specific part of the warrant book that said "whole back wheel"?

putting something on here doesn't actually find it's way to the feedback system on the governments warrant of fitness system BTW

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    While I applaud any creative use of corflute, I think BMW may have an edge on your design.

It’s almost as if they knew there would be a compliance issue if they didn’t put something back there. Clever little Bavarians (or is it Indians in this case...)
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    so did the tail tidy mention that it may not get a warrant when fitted?

did you ask to see the specific part of the warrant book that said "whole back wheel"?

putting something on here doesn't actually find it's way to the feedback system on the governments warrant of fitness system BTW
    This was actually pretty easy to find, interpretation may be another matter.

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt....hubs/mudguards
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    In that link was the answer to the problem. nerrd you're a genius. Ok ... not really.

The solution was in 1. b) not capable of exceeding a speed of 30km/h.

Any mechanic worth the name could ensure that happens.

Worry about getting speed with the next bike. LAM's bikes shouldn't be going fast anyway.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt....hubs/mudguards
    who drafts this stuff? its a double negative. fucksakes. If one of my staff bought that to me I would tell them to go and redraft it so I can understand it. If I can understand it Joe Lunchbox walking down the street likely can too. Christ!
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2009 Husqvarna SM610ie
    I don't get it. The BMW 310R doesn't have a rear mudguard from the factory anyway or do they mean the thing the license plate is hanging off of?

Will be interesting to see how mine fares when I take it in for a WOF. I mean I purchased it like this with a current WOF but surely a near horizontal plate isn't kosher...?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200920_170604__01.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	627.5 KB 
ID:	348857  

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMasterJ View Post
    I don't get it. The BMW 310R doesn't have a rear mudguard from the factory anyway or do they mean the thing the license plate is hanging off of?

Will be interesting to see how mine fares when I take it in for a WOF. I mean I purchased it like this with a current WOF but surely a near horizontal plate isn't kosher...?
    You'd beter not go to the same testing station the OP did.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMasterJ View Post
    ... but surely a near horizontal plate isn't kosher...?
    It's ok ... all the ANPR camera's are up pretty high and they should be able to read them.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Besides, you can do your bit to correct the angle whilst in use

Bike
    2009 Husqvarna SM610ie
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Besides, you can do your bit to correct the angle whilst in use

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    So, you made the bike illegal, and it's someone elses fault.

Pretty much the KB attitude, well done.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    He didn't say that. It's not like its unsafe. It's a fucking rear mudguard. Oh no! Some spray will get on a semi windshield. Oh there's an orphanage. Does he see it? The humanity.

Thread Information