Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Throttle problem, advice please

  1. #1
    Join Date
    14th January 2014 - 21:22
    Bike
    2015 Yamaha MT09
    Location
    Feilding
    Posts
    3

    Throttle problem, advice please

    Hi Guys, I have a Yamaha MT09 ,2015. It has an electronic throttle, ie, ride bye wire.
    Occasionally now , when I hit a bump in the road,the throttle cuts out. The engine warning light comes on but the engine still runs, only at idle. I stop and turn the key off ,start up again and all is well. Doesn’t happen very often, last day out was a 400k ride and it happened once. Bloody dangerous if it happened at the wrong time!
    Think if I take it to a Yamaha shop I will be up for lots of dollars, and not much chance of a fix with such a random problem. Any ideas?
    Cheers

  2. #2
    Join Date
    28th May 2006 - 19:35
    Bike
    suzuki
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    7,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Gballs View Post
    Hi Guys, I have a Yamaha MT09 ,2015. It has an electronic throttle, ie, ride bye wire.
    Occasionally now , when I hit a bump in the road,the throttle cuts out. The engine warning light comes on but the engine still runs, only at idle. I stop and turn the key off ,start up again and all is well. Doesn’t happen very often, last day out was a 400k ride and it happened once. Bloody dangerous if it happened at the wrong time!
    Think if I take it to a Yamaha shop I will be up for lots of dollars, and not much chance of a fix with such a random problem. Any ideas?
    Cheers
    yip, take it to a yamaha shop, they'll know the bike and have the best chance of anyone to sort it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    13th April 2007 - 18:26
    Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl, svart701
    Location
    In town. Crap
    Posts
    4,147
    Blog Entries
    1
    As jelly said. Should throw up a fault code via a Yamaha plug in.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,821
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Gballs View Post
    Hi Guys, I have a Yamaha MT09 ,2015. It has an electronic throttle, ie, ride bye wire.
    Occasionally now , when I hit a bump in the road,the throttle cuts out. The engine warning light comes on but the engine still runs, only at idle. I stop and turn the key off ,start up again and all is well. Doesn’t happen very often, last day out was a 400k ride and it happened once. Bloody dangerous if it happened at the wrong time!
    Think if I take it to a Yamaha shop I will be up for lots of dollars, and not much chance of a fix with such a random problem. Any ideas?
    Cheers
    A simple loose wire or connection ... be it an earth wire or the throttle wire itself.

    All you need to do is find it.


    How hard can it be to find ...


    Or ... you could pay money to someone that knows where to look ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,821
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    As jelly said. Should throw up a fault code via a Yamaha plug in.
    And will probably come up with Throttle wire fault. Or similar.

    Exact issue (and location) would be unlikely.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    20th June 2011 - 20:27
    Bike
    Dog Rooter, MT09
    Location
    Glen Eden
    Posts
    9,807
    Get an OBD reader and cable.

    My money is on a lose battery connection or side stand switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,821
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Get an OBD reader and cable.

    My money is on a lose battery connection or side stand switch.
    I'd be thinking more likely the kill switch. About where his right thumb parks.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    15th February 2017 - 13:17
    Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I'd be thinking more likely the kill switch. About where his right thumb parks.
    If it was the kill switch bike wouldn't idle, it's likely the throttle wire but which part of it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    28th May 2006 - 19:35
    Bike
    suzuki
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    7,477
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    If it was the kill switch bike wouldn't idle, it's likely the throttle wire but which part of it.
    either one of the two ends or the middle would be my pick

  10. #10
    Join Date
    14th January 2014 - 21:22
    Bike
    2015 Yamaha MT09
    Location
    Feilding
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for the input guys. Have checked the battery connections for tightness, and checked the side stand sensor.
    All seems to be good. Guess it will be off to the Yamaha workshop if it happens again.
    Cheers

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •