Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: journalism?

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    There is no massive upsurge in crime. There may have been a massive upsurge in National Party talking points and the associated headlines. In 2023 NZ is the second safest country on earth behind only Iceland. NZ is not perfectly crime free but it is still better than anywhere else on the planet - except Iceland.

There does need to be action taken on the Auckland ram raiders some of whom are repeat offenders but are released to offend yet again.

There is also continuous carping from the right whingers about the economy. Here are some facts on crime and the economy up to date as at yesterday.
    I don’t care what rest of world is there’s a definite uptick in visible serious violent crime here. We just had a young muppet shoot his workmates in Auckland cbd during a major international sports event. That’s not normal then there’s all the other recent incidents of police being actually shot or shot at.

Ramraids whike spectacular are pretty much a minor thing overall. Vape shops and liquor stores are not crucial to a functioning society. They are a symbol though of our weakness on young offenders and also the dumbing down of the education system that they lack the ability to break in old school style and need to wreck a functioning automobile in the process (stolen or otherwise they prob could have traded the car for what they needed).
    Here after the cyclone we had to steal Auckland police helicopter for several weeks. Police kept on saying crime hasn’t gone up but then the truth came out in hard facts a few weeks later.
    NZ has a problem and the sooner we admit it the sooner we come up with a real plan to fix it. Covering it up like festering sore just let’s the infection deep into the bones of the nation
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Aprilia RSV Mille & Aprilia Tuono 660
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    I don’t care what rest of world is there’s a definite uptick in visible serious violent crime here. We just had a young muppet shoot his workmates in Auckland cbd during a major international sports event. That’s not normal then there’s all the other recent incidents of police being actually shot or shot at.

Ramraids whike spectacular are pretty much a minor thing overall. Vape shops and liquor stores are not crucial to a functioning society. They are a symbol though of our weakness on young offenders and also the dumbing down of the education system that they lack the ability to break in old school style and need to wreck a functioning automobile in the process (stolen or otherwise they prob could have traded the car for what they needed).
    Here after the cyclone we had to steal Auckland police helicopter for several weeks. Police kept on saying crime hasn’t gone up but then the truth came out in hard facts a few weeks later.
    NZ has a problem and the sooner we admit it the sooner we come up with a real plan to fix it. Covering it up like festering sore just let’s the infection deep into the bones of the nation
    Have to agree with you.
    I work in the Emergency Housing field.
    Our office goes into lockdown, and the police are called, every 5-6 weeks
    Almost always due to someone either wanting Emergency Housing, or already there and wanting to move to a better motel.
    Requests for the Spencer on Byron are common.
    3-4 years ago, we might get 2 a year.
    Social behavior has changed massively
    RSV Mille: No madam, its an Aprilia, not a Harley. If it were a Harley, I would be pushing it !

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Do you think our journos are pissed at losing their gravy train funding???

Quite a ranty opinion piece disguised as news about a fairly minor policy and minor mistakes in it.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/polit...mens-world-cup

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Well after last night it looks like we need a Royal inquiry into why the media polls were so different to election outcome. Although some of the individual electorates did show big variations the general result shows the polls which would influence voting were way off.
    But as always gut instinct and the vibe on the street matched real result though. Called it lol

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    pretty sure it was covered in another thread, they still seem to extensively ring landlines. They need a different methodology moving forward to be more accurate.
    Huh? Actually I just looked at the finmal totals and the polls did not look that far off.
    https://interactives.stuff.co.nz/202...-results-live/

Certainly about what I expected.
    I guess we have another super heated house economy to look forward to now. With Chinese banks collapsing, and the US mortgage market looking distinctly shady again, there is a real danger the nz housing market will overheat too much and collapse. Yikes, I hope not.

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)
    I personally wasn't paying much attention to polls. I heard a lot about Chris Luxton not being preferred PM so I kinda assumed National was behind in the polls. So, media can focus on elements that may not be what the public at large are focused on. I also feel like media polls may influence people's voting choices. What I mean is that if you were going to vote for party A but the media said they weren't at the 5% threshold, a lot of people might change to voting for party B because they're getting 10% in polls.

The margin of error is usually within 3% so on Election Day, if people ignored media polls and voted for the minor party they actually wanted, they might get a surprise and find party A got 8% on the day.

But also, don't they call people to poll? so are margins of error biased towards people who can be contacted for polls, which may mean the youth vote isn't represented? Are the media polls even gathering from a variety of kiwis or is it purely a random sampling? There seems like a lot of factors that could make media polls inaccurate and
    unrepresentative.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Some good points sugite and honnicon

Paula penfold of Fire and Fury fame is suddenly concerned about how our democracy works now the journo slush fund has dried up

https://i.stuff.co.nz/opinion/300989...some-attention

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Some good points sugite and honnicon

Paula penfold of Fire and Fury fame is suddenly concerned about how our democracy works now the journo slush fund has dried up

https://i.stuff.co.nz/opinion/300989...some-attention
    There are of course many differences between the British way of governing and what has evolved in New Zealand, but many of the points Dunt makes remain valid here too, when “deep-seated, long-lasting national problems go permanently unresolved”.
    I'd suggest where such problems remain unresolved it's because they're not government problems, they're individual's problems, needing to be resolved by individuals.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    After six years of being paid to wear rose tinted glasses Tova finally noticed our crumbling infrastructure….
    It’s not like no one’s being mentioning it or anything.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/politics/350...national-shame

Bike
    Aprilia RSV Mille & Aprilia Tuono 660
    After six years of being paid to wear rose tinted glasses Tova finally noticed our crumbling infrastructure….
    It’s not like no one’s being mentioning it or anything.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/politics/350...national-shame
    Tova is a waste of oxygen.
    RSV Mille: No madam, its an Aprilia, not a Harley. If it were a Harley, I would be pushing it !

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Boom Legacy media outlet TV3/Newshub gone…

Who’d have thought that after being pumped up like a crack addict on govt funded advertising/propoganda during covid that there wouldn’t be a severe bought of withdrawl symptoms when that cash disappeared.
    And yet some would say they are biased and funded by the national party 🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Confirms anecdotal information though that no one really watches tv anymore because it’s total garbage compared to other offerings. They even managed to make watching free content difficult. Who the hell wants to flag about downloading an app and or signing in just to watch average content.

Trouble is I’m already seeing an increase in YouTube ad content and the skip in 5secs button is turning into a cruel hoax as next ad starts. I think in another few years there will be a mute button category at olympics, I’m down to 0.07 reaction time.

The situation is so dire they didn’t even try asking for govt bailout or assistance.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I can't read above posts so I'll paraphrase.

"Big corporations infiltrated by our Lizard Overlords".

"Should- be-the-president Frump to battle fake news with the White Christian Solders by his side"

"Please click on the link http://Farrighthold down leftist con...nd bumthem.com"
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Boom Legacy media outlet TV3/Newshub goneÂ…

WhoÂ’d have thought that after being pumped up like a crack addict on govt funded advertising/propoganda during covid that there wouldnÂ’t be a severe bought of withdrawl symptoms when that cash disappeared.
    And yet some would say they are biased and funded by the national party 🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Confirms anecdotal information though that no one really watches tv anymore because itÂ’s total garbage compared to other offerings. They even managed to make watching free content difficult. Who the hell wants to flag about downloading an app and or signing in just to watch average content.

Trouble is IÂ’m already seeing an increase in YouTube ad content and the skip in 5secs button is turning into a cruel hoax as next ad starts. I think in another few years there will be a mute button category at olympics, IÂ’m down to 0.07 reaction time.

The situation is so dire they didnÂ’t even try asking for govt bailout or assistance.
    Private enterprise triumphs once again! Guess we’ll soon find out how important the fourth estate really is to a healthy democracy.

Hopefully someone will eventually find a business model that works in the current environment. I dread to think what AI based news content is going to look like.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Thread Information