Thread: Honda Hornet - when to replace?

Bike
    Honda Hornet 900

Honda Hornet - when to replace?

I have a 2008 Honda Hornet 900 that I love but it's starting to get a bit long in the tooth. It's done 95,000 kms and there's some vibration that I'm told might be the engine/gearbox bearings going which would require a full teardown. Any opinions on whether it's worth keeping going for a few years or time to replace?

Thanks.
    Remember to never split an infinitive. The passive voice should never be used. Do not put statements in the negative form. Proofread carefully to see if you words out. And don't start a sentence with a conjugation. (William Safire)

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...fixing the one you love may be a good option...what will you replace it with...a new bike or an unknown quantity... ie: a previously owned bike...

Bike
    Hornet 900
    Our 2005 Hornet 900 has clocked over 160,000 kms

Great reliable bike

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    barely run in for one of those.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by parsley View Post
    ... It's done 95,000 kms and there's some vibration that I'm told might be the engine/gearbox bearings going which would require a full teardown. Any opinions on whether it's worth keeping going for a few years or time to replace?

Thanks.
    Unless it wasn't "Run in" very well ... as has been already said ... it should have plenty of life left in it.

Check all the engine mounting bolts ... and check a few other places too.

Check the simple stuff first before the full rebuild. Unless you have plenty of money ... and if that's the case ... do it. It's only money.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    For these bikes 95k is barely run in. My 2005 is at 154? ish k? A mates 919 is north of 160k (neither have had any major work), and the highest I know (now Hamilton way) is north of 250k, but it has had some work on stuff like gearbox - but it was a courier bike earlier on it's life, so racked up a lot of open road running quite quickly.

Mine had a hard life for a while, 12k a year for a decade with commuting all over Auckland as a company bike, and on it's 3rd clutch cable.

They're not all crazy bullet proof, obviously, but it's one of those rare models that consistently racks up high km with few major issues. There will be items like rear wheel bearings usually wearing out around 70-90k, but by and large it's just regular servicing. Not the most exciting bike, typical Honda where it sucks at nothing, but excellent at doing everything Ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information