Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you been watching?

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by 1/32 man View Post
    I recently watched this subtle movie on netflix.

You need to catch the opening words so you can get the ending.

Cumberbatch at his best.
    Campion at her best.

recommended
    I have been very conflicted about this. I am more about the spectacle than the feelings and while I get the whole "method intensity" thing, usually it doesnt grab me. I am going to see DUNE this week.

We just finished GIRI/HAJI on Netflix which I enjoyed (thought it was quite overwrought and a bit of the old genre bending going on). Do recommend though.

I will unlawfully download Star Trek Discovery s4 in a few weeks.

And I am finally getting round to COWBOY BEBOP - which I am enjoying (the anime not the live action).

Highlights of the film festival for me: THE FRENCH DISPATCH (Wes Anderson - duh) and NIGHT RAIDERS which was a NZ and Canada co-production. Budget about $300 but a great story.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I am going to see DUNE this week.
    You're in for a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    And I am finally getting round to COWBOY BEBOP - which I am enjoying (the anime not the live action).
    That is the correct way to enjoy it.

OVA or Dub?
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm, not too sure about Wheel of Time yet. Early days, some things I like, overall a bit pedestrian.

I actually did read all fourteen books over the years, but given how many pages it took to get to book fourteen I barely remember what happened over the whole series. I actually reread book one recently, just to remind myself what was involved, and while it still held my interest, it really does plod along with way more descriptive detail (I mean the guy pretty much introduces every character, no matter how minor, by their full name) than plot.

I do like the universe he’s created though, and the way past and present are intertwined with the whole reincarnation angle and dream worlds, the fact that magic is potentially extremely dangerous, and the fact that evil is lurking around every corner.

But tightly plotted it is not, which is a big disadvantage compared to something like Game of Thrones (which seems to be what everyone wants to compare it to) and making a successful transition from books to screen.

Apparently there is a second season coming, so they might be able to ramp up the intrigue by then enough to keep it going.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    FRAYED on Netflix-The funnist program I have seen in years-A bit like a very rude version of The Castle
    You're right, it's friggen hilarious!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Goes a bit Neighbours on the last two episodes,never mind as the earlier ones were great.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    Hmmm, not too sure about Wheel of Time yet. Early days, some things I like, overall a bit pedestrian.

I actually did read all fourteen books over the years, but given how many pages it took to get to book fourteen I barely remember what happened over the whole series. I actually reread book one recently, just to remind myself what was involved, and while it still held my interest, it really does plod along with way more descriptive detail (I mean the guy pretty much introduces every character, no matter how minor, by their full name) than plot.

I do like the universe he’s created though, and the way past and present are intertwined with the whole reincarnation angle and dream worlds, the fact that magic is potentially extremely dangerous, and the fact that evil is lurking around every corner.

But tightly plotted it is not, which is a big disadvantage compared to something like Game of Thrones (which seems to be what everyone wants to compare it to) and making a successful transition from books to screen.

Apparently there is a second season coming, so they might be able to ramp up the intrigue by then enough to keep it going.
    I read to book 10 IIRC. It was decades ago. Memory suggests book 10 was all womeon plotting and sfa action. I mentioned to the person in the bookshop that the author was taking his time with book eleven. She informed me that he'd died. He always said that he'd keep writing until they screwed the lid down on his coffin and so it was. His wife may have given his files to someone else to carry on. He had detaied files listing each character and their particular "powers".
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I read to book 10 IIRC. It was decades ago. Memory suggests book 10 was all womeon plotting and sfa action. I mentioned to the person in the bookshop that the author was taking his time with book eleven. She informed me that he'd died. He always said that he'd keep writing until they screwed the lid down on his coffin and so it was. His wife may have given his files to someone else to carry on. He had detaied files listing each character and their particular "powers".
    Yep, he knew he was dying and so left extensive notes on how he wanted it to be finished.

Everyone I've spoken to who has finished the series says that the last books are great.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    Yep, he knew he was dying and so left extensive notes on how he wanted it to be finished.

Everyone I've spoken to who has finished the series says that the last books are great.
    Yes, the last three books were ‘ghost’ written by Brandon Sanderson, whose own original works I would argue might be better fodder for a tv series. He’s absurdly prolific also, but tends to jump around a lot more telling different stories all based in his own growing cosmere, which keeps things a lot fresher and more interesting IMHO. He’s in the opening credits as a consulting producer on the series, not sure how involved that makes him.

A lot of his books come under young adult fiction, so there tends to be a lot more happening in them.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Final season of the Expanse, first episode streaming today.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    If you like USA cop shows, "Bosch" on Amazon Prime is good. Well we like it.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    '04 Honda ST1300
    Killing Eve, despite the crap ads for it, this quite entertaining with a dash of humour.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    If ya missus needs a new shopping trolley these Fords look the business lol

Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Watched an american movie called, I don't feel at home in this world anymore.
    Was a bit more interesting and watchable than most of the big budget hollywood kak.
    I like it when people mix humour and violence properly!😀😀😀
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    '04 Honda ST1300
    Ghosts on TVNZ is dumb fun

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Thread Information