Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pissed off with hjc helmets

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I wear tinted Safety glasses.
    I am imagining Officer Frank Poncherello from CHiPs

them visors have to also pass an optical test.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    It is unfortunate for glasses wearers but helmets move around a bunch in an accident. Face furniture can cause injury inside.
    Ain't that the truth.

In 1991 (I think) I had the displeasure of T-boning a Holden Commodore (me, open road; him, ignored Stop sign) on my XJ900, flying over the roof and landing head first on the road on the other side. Upon waking (20 mins later) I couldn't understand why my vision was so poor until a kind lady pointed out that the broken and twisted remains of my glasses had caused some facial trauma and she'd removed them to prevent further injury.

Yamaha, helmet, and Holden all written off; me, got better.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    I am imagining Officer Frank Poncherello from CHiPs

them visors have to also pass an optical test.
    Optical or Impact test ... ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I explained the $10 helmet, $10 head thing. He replied. "Oh no. It's not for me, it's for the wife."
    I chortled.

Perhaps harder than I should have.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    Ain't that the truth.

In 1991 (I think) I had the displeasure of T-boning a Holden Commodore (me, open road; him, ignored Stop sign) on my XJ900, flying over the roof and landing head first on the road on the other side. Upon waking (20 mins later) I couldn't understand why my vision was so poor until a kind lady pointed out that the broken and twisted remains of my glasses had caused some facial trauma and she'd removed them to prevent further injury.

Yamaha, helmet, and Holden all written off; me, got better.
    Unpleasant. I hope I can continue to wear contacts and I carry a clear visor when on tour rather than sunnies. For some people this isn't an option but worth the consideration.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Unpleasant. I hope I can continue to wear contacts and I carry a clear visor when on tour rather than sunnies. For some people this isn't an option but worth the consideration.
    The Safety glasses I wear are actually designed to take a frontal impact ... and sit in contact with my face all the way around the rear edge of the glasses.

I've seen the result of a rider going through road works with the visor up (at relatively low speed) and get a stone in the face from a passing (speeding) car. He was lucky to keep his eye.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    The Safety glasses I wear are actually designed to take a frontal impact ... and sit in contact with my face all the way around the rear edge of the glasses.

I've seen the result of a rider going through road works with the visor up (at relatively low speed) and get a stone in the face from a passing (speeding) car. He was lucky to keep his eye.
    Must admit I wear safety squints, too. They work. Quite a few rocks have been deflected off them when I ride off road with the roostafarians.

As for the visor / sun strike / visibility discussion, my Givi Tourer helmet has a peak and internal sun visor. Covers all eventuality's really well. No buffeting at, er, higher speeds either.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    ... As for the visor / sun strike / visibility discussion, my Givi Tourer helmet has a peak and internal sun visor. Covers all eventuality's really well. No buffeting at, er, higher speeds either.
    Although my Helmet isn't a budget model ... (or top of the line for that matter) I have put a strip of heavy black tape across the top of the visor. By tilting the head forward a bit ... it gives a bit of shade for the eyes. However ... Coming down a hill into a low sun can negate your efforts to get that "shade" ... and you can find yourself riding blind. Not a pleasant feeling at all.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries

It's not frontal impact. It's the helmet getting smeared around your face in any direction. It won't stay ridged in one place.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Optical or Impact test ... ???
    Both, as you would expect or hope.

I do not like the open face or Jet type of helmet, I have fallen over in the past onto the road and its quite abrasive (surprise)

Not sure if HJC are DOT Certified or ECE.22.06 incoming standard - see below

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/202...-set-for-2023/

amazing how in the USA of all places the DOT Certified doesn't mean much

from the above web page, with a little formatting to highlight the relevant parts - not that anyone will read it, like I did.

P) Full face: Helmet with a detachable, movable, or integral (permanently fixed) part of the helmet covering the lower part of the face and intended to protect the chin
    (P/J) Modular Helmet: means a helmet, equipped with a movable or detachable protective lower face cover, that meets the requirements for both conditions of use with or without chin guard in position. Chin protection is only guaranteed with the lower face cover in position. In modular helmets, the retention system tests must be done in J and P configuration.

The regulation (Sec. 6.17) addresses the function of integral or internal sun shields:
    “A sun shield shall not restrain or prevent the movement of the visor. On opening the visor, the sun shield can pivot in the working position. By means of a simple movement, the sun shield shall be able to be moved separately from the visor out of the visual field.”
    In addition, the sun shield, whether externally or internally mounted cannot restrict the field of vision to less than the required 105° of peripheral vision, 7° upward field of view from horizontal and 45° downward, must transmit 80 percent of visible light and must be optically clear and correct.
    The regulation addresses the issue of “conspicuity” or how visible the helmet is to other drivers in both daylight and low light situations.
    That portion of the reg (Sec. 6.18) deals with the use of retroreflective materials on the helmet, which may be either standard factory-applied or provided with the helmet and applied by the end-user.
    That part of the regulation is up to the jurisdiction adopting ECE 22.06 as to whether this provision is applicable.
    If the jurisdiction elects to use the provision, the reflective material must cover at least 18 cm2.

The external face shield or visor must be able to withstand the impact of a steel ball of 6 mm diameter and 0.86g traveling at 60 meters per second (M/sec) without the impactor punching through, shattering, or dislodging the shield.

Provisions are also included to define the maximum and the minimum light transmittance of a visor capable of two different levels, as photochromic, liquid crystal, or equivalent visors.

The regulation also deals with the “anti-fog” properties of the external face shield providing an objective standard by which to quantify whether the face shield is truly “anti-fog” or not saying: “The internal face of the visor is regarded as having a mist retardant facility if the square of the specular transmittance has not fallen below 80 percent of the initial value without misting within 20 seconds.”
    Helmets with accessories are tested to assure the equipment has no adverse effect on performance and that the helmet and/or visor still meets the applicable requirements. Testing is done with and without the accessory in place to assess any effect on energy absorption, presence of sharp edges, and alteration to the field of vision. For testing, accessories are fitted according to the helmet manufacturer’s specifications. Approval is valid only for accessories in use during certification testing.
    A number of the requirements in the current ECE 22.05 standard are retained. For example, there may be no projections from the helmet surface that exceed 2.0 mm; impact attenuation peak acceleration is specified as a maximum of ≤275g (≤2,400 head injury criteria or HIC) for the standard linear impact and high energy impact test (≤2,880 HIC) and ≤180g (≤1,300 HIC) for the low energy impact test. Impact tests shall have a minimum headform velocity of 8.5 M/sec.
    Tests for rotational (oblique impact) forces and abrasion resistance remain unchanged. Impact point specifications and helmet environmental conditioning criteria remain the same as do tests for strength, abrasion, and stretch of the chin strap retention system.
    To see the entire proposed ECE 22.06 update, visit ECE/TRANS/WP.29/2020/ (unece.org).

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Both, as you would expect or hope.

I do not like the open face or Jet type of helmet, I have fallen over in the past onto the road and its quite abrasive (surprise)

Not sure if HJC are DOT Certified or ECE.22.06 incoming standard - see below

amazing how in the USA of all places the DOT Certified doesn't mean much
    DOT is short for Department Of Transport. It is NOT their certification standard.

The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) requires that all motorcycle helmets sold in the United States meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 218. (ie: DOT Certified)

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    It's not frontal impact. It's the helmet getting smeared around your face in any direction. It won't stay ridged in one place.
    It HAS so far ...

And I've had a few goes at "checking" for movement.

Quality Helmets eh ...

ps: AGV all the way ...

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    DOT is short for Department Of Transport. It is NOT their certification standard.

The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) requires that all motorcycle helmets sold in the United States meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 218. (ie: DOT Certified)
    Yep, I knew dat.
    i read the whole article.

its just the DOT Certified, gives one an unfounded sense of safety, cause it’s been test.
    but it hasn’t. The customer just interprets it that way when they read the label.
    Last edited by eldog; 7th May 2021 at 22:12. Reason: Words are too long

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1

DOT doesn't actually certify anything, the helmet manufacturers self certify to the FMVSS standard and label the helmets as "DOT certified".

The National Highway Transport Safety Administration (NHTSA), which is part of DOT, enforces the standard by having independent labs test helmets to ensure they actually meet FMVSS 218.

And this is an improvement to the previous system??? I'd look for a Snell sticker if I was buying a helmet in the US.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Yep, I knew dat.
    i read the whole article.

its just the DOT Certified, gives one an unfounded sense of safety, cause it’s been test.
    but it hasn’t. The customer just interprets it that way when they read the label.
    Yanks like big important sounding words. The more applicable word they should have used is approved.

Thread Information