Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: pissed off with hjc helmets

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    DOT doesn't actually certify anything, the helmet manufacturers self certify to the FMVSS standard and label the helmets as "DOT certified".
    I thought I said that. And you quoted me saying that ... ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    It's not frontal impact. It's the helmet getting smeared around your face in any direction. It won't stay ridged in one place.
    Then perhaps it might be that the helmet isn't fitting properly to the head. A well fitting helmet is probably the best way to keep your head intact.

A helmet is better than no helmet ... but buying/using a safety device that can/might do you an injury when you need it the most ... seems stupid.

A well fitting helmet will be more to your benefit safety wise ... than a high priced one that isn't fitting YOUR head properly.

I once saw a guy get his nose broken during a low speed off-road unintentional dismount. The helmet revolved on his head a bit.

After a few months use ... the padding and lining gets compacted a bit and the helmet fits looser on the head. I wear a thermal Balaclava to take up the slack (and stop a few drafts and a bit of wind noise).

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I thought I said that. And you quoted me saying that ... ???
    Maybe you should read what you said...

But I should have included a photo of the label.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Maybe you should read what you said...

But I should have included a photo of the label.
    There was never any doubt that the US specify DOT certified helmets as a standard required. But do the Department Of Transport (DOT) actually test and certify the helmets ??

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    There was never any doubt that the US specify DOT certified helmets as a standard required. But do the Department Of Transport (DOT) actually test and certify the helmets ??
    No, they don't certify them as the manufacturers self certify. But NHTSA, which is part of DOT, arrange audit tests on helmets as sold to the public by independent labs.

This, of course, is to make sure the manufacturers are doing the right thing.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Then perhaps it might be that the helmet isn't fitting properly to the head. A well fitting helmet is probably the best way to keep your head intact.

A helmet is better than no helmet ... but buying/using a safety device that can/might do you an injury when you need it the most ... seems stupid.

A well fitting helmet will be more to your benefit safety wise ... than a high priced one that isn't fitting YOUR head properly.

I once saw a guy get his nose broken during a low speed off-road unintentional dismount. The helmet revolved on his head a bit.

After a few months use ... the padding and lining gets compacted a bit and the helmet fits looser on the head. I wear a thermal Balaclava to take up the slack (and stop a few drafts and a bit of wind noise).
    Perhaps I didn't say any of that. And now it seems like you are on the attack. Some accidents are complex and all sorts of trauma can occur. Even with a properly fitted quality helmet.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Perhaps I didn't say any of that. And now it seems like you are on the attack. Some accidents are complex and all sorts of trauma can occur. Even with a properly fitted quality helmet.
    I'm sorry If I gave that impression. It wasn't my intention.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    No, they don't certify them as the manufacturers self certify. But NHTSA, which is part of DOT, arrange audit tests on helmets as sold to the public by independent labs.

This, of course, is to make sure the manufacturers are doing the right thing.
    The way it actually works is, that the National Highways Traffic Safety Administration make a set of standards available to all manufacturers looking to sell helmets in the US. These manufacturers then need to produce helmets that’ll pass the test. If they do, they’re allowed to self-certify that the helmet will pass the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No 218 and can put a DOT sticker on the helmet when it goes on sale.

The Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance are then tasked with testing a number of helmet models per year (in 2007 it was around 40) to ensure they comply with FMVSS 218 standards. If the Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance find a helmet doesn’t pass their test, the helmet is removed from sale and the vendor has to either repair or replace the helmets for consumers at their own cost. They can also face very stiff fines.

Interesting reading here on the tests involved ...

https://billyscrashhelmets.com/what-...lmet-standard/

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    I now wear a good full-faced helmet with internal tinted visor, it's great in all aspects.

But much to the dismay and concern of my riding mates I wore a pudding bowl DOT approved (?) helmet, in the past, small, really small (Probably wouldn't hold 500ml of water), it was really light and great on a hot day, luckily I never had to test its protective qualities.

(I wouldn't go back to one)
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm, have never really considered what would happen to my glasses in the event of a crash, good to know they’ll likely make things worse.

Still, if I wasn’t wearing them my chances of crashing would be 100%.

I was happy to buy a helmet that had been on the shelf for a few years at a discount. I’ve also dropped it once, breaking the plastic spoiler. It’s been in regular (almost daily) use for several years now so is probably due for replacement, but it still feels ok so I keep using it.

Maybe they should have a WOF system for helmets.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Thread Information