Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pissed off with hjc helmets

Bike
    2 675R's & a Tracer GT
    My understanding is, it's the polystyrene inner that loses its properties over the years. It won't absorb an impact as well when it's old. A glass or carbon shell will last decades. That's not the bit with the shelf life. The inner is also the reason not to re-use a lid that's had a knock. The polystyrene only deforms once, it'll be your skull the second time..
    Do us all a favour, by bringing yourself up to speed, before pulling onto the motorway.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by manxkiwi View Post
    My understanding is, it's the polystyrene inner that loses its properties over the years. It won't absorb an impact as well when it's old. A glass or carbon shell will last decades. That's not the bit with the shelf life. The inner is also the reason not to re-use a lid that's had a knock. The polystyrene only deforms once, it'll be your skull the second time..
    Agreed, with the proviso that the shell of the helmet is like an egg shell, it only works once.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    My Shoei has a light smoke internal visor which is fine for most occasions but not reflections off the Firth of Thames when the sun is relatively low - it's a real issue, compounded by dark spots under the overhanging trees. As I mentioned, the gold iridium visor does a better job in these circumstances. It's definitely a copy as it doesn't carry the Shoei serial details but the small moulding details of the Shoei are all present in the copy. This is the specific supplier: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/801...5f664c4darhdeA .
    Ah, I missed the Firth of Thames bit. A few years ago I was riding down the Thames Coast as the sun was setting behind the hills. I only had a clear visor with me, and after a few minutes of being intermittently blinded by the sun, parked the bike and waited for sunset.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Ah, I missed the Firth of Thames bit.
    Riding in an Westerly direction anywhere into a sunset has the same effect. If you know it's going to happen ... stop earlier for a coffee (or whatever) and wait for the dark.

The dark will probably require another layer of clothing anyway ... and after a coffee/feed/pee ... you'll be ready for the night ride.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Agreed, with the proviso that the shell of the helmet is like an egg shell, it only works once.
    Regardless how much they cost ... or how often you replace them ... they're cheap insurance.

$10 heads fit in $10 helmets.

Your head ... and your helmet.

SO ... it's YOUR choice to determine how much you should spend on a new helmet ... and how often you need replace them ...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Regardless how much they cost ... or how often you replace them ... they're cheap insurance.

$10 heads fit in $10 helmets.

Your head ... and your helmet.

SO ... it's YOUR choice to determine how much you should spend on a new helmet ... and how often you need replace them ...

Ah yes. Reminds me of a Californian I once worked with. He'd bought a 1927 Harley Davidson twin and asked me where he could get a really cheap helmet. I explained the $10 helmet, $10 head thing. He replied. "Oh no. It's not for me, it's for the wife."
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Riding in an Westerly direction anywhere into a sunset has the same effect. If you know it's going to happen ... stop earlier for a coffee (or whatever) and wait for the dark.

The dark will probably require another layer of clothing anyway ... and after a coffee/feed/pee ... you'll be ready for the night ride.
    It's not just the setting sun, it's also the reflections off the water and the shaded, blind corners. I completely understand where Blackbird is coming from.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    It's not just the setting sun, it's also the reflections off the water and the shaded, blind corners. I completely understand where Blackbird is coming from.
    If you read my post (slowly) ... you will see I stated ...

Riding in an Westerly direction anywhere into a sunset has the same effect.
    Try actually reading posts before commenting.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    My Shoei has a light smoke internal visor which is fine for most occasions but not reflections off the Firth of Thames when the sun is relatively low - it's a real issue, compounded by dark spots under the overhanging trees. As I mentioned, the gold iridium visor does a better job in these circumstances. It's definitely a copy as it doesn't carry the Shoei serial details but the small moulding details of the Shoei are all present in the copy. This is the specific supplier: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/801...5f664c4darhdeA .
    My understanding is the genuine visors meet an impact standard that cheaper ones dont. Im not 100% on that but it would seem correct. I think its something about they dont shatter. Arai are the same and there visors are very expensive.

These days I tend to wear sunglasses as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    In many places you can find advice on the conditions you should replace your helmet.

This is one of them.

https://helmets.org/replace.htm

Feel free to read ... ponder on ... adhere too ... or simply ignore.

If it's your head in your helmet ... the choice and responsibility is entirely yours.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    ... These days I tend to wear sunglasses as well.

I wear tinted Safety glasses.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I wear tinted Safety glasses.
    Bifocal ones?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    It is unfortunate for glasses wearers but helmets move around a bunch in an accident. Face furniture can cause injury inside.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Bifocal ones?
    No, but the visor isn't always down when I'm moving. I'd rather some protection when it's not down.

I've ridden through a swarm of wasps once (visor was down) so it's just another layer of protection.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    My understanding is the genuine visors meet an impact standard that cheaper ones dont. Im not 100% on that but it would seem correct. I think its something about they dont shatter. Arai are the same and there visors are very expensive.

These days I tend to wear sunglasses as well.
    Three impact standards in the US according to this info from the Shoei website: https://www.shoei-helmets.com/techno...echnology.html

There will be an EU standard as well.

Thread Information