Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: pissed off with hjc helmets

Bike
    welbike

pissed off with hjc helmets

I all ,Just a bit of a rant here. rang local dealer to get new visor for a hjc rpha10 and was told that hjc helmets have a life span of 5 years therefore they don't make visors for them any more. is this normal for other brands ??As it turns out Mine was actually a 10 plus (next model ) so there are some visors on the water but how long before they hit the 5 year limit I don't know. aliexpress has lots of rpha 10 visors but not 10 plus . anybody had experience with aliexpress visors??

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    All helmets have a five year life span - in theory. I haven't previously heard of parts not being available for helmets five plus though. An email to some HJC stockists might bear fruit?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Aliexpress isn't a supplier of course, so there could be multiple companies copying, selling on the site. A friend has a general rule of thumb. Whatever it is, it will be 4/5ths size when it finally arrives.
    And I keep getting sucked in.

Shaver blades and vacuum bags are a fairly safe bet.

The sunnies that showed up last week are almost as styley as the pictures looked. But the lenses for some reason, are several subtle shades darker that clear. For indoor use maybe?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    That arbitrary 5 year thing is a bit of a joke.

Buy a helmet, don't use it, keep it in it's original packaging and box, then tell me it shold be replaced when it reaches 5 years old. Yeah right.

Some helmets are 2 years old when first purchased, depends on the distribution chain they have been on, and the time they spent on the shelf. DOes that mean they are only good for 5 years?

Bollocks. Look after your helmet, it'll way outlast 5 years. I've got one that is older than 5 years, and I've only worn it maybe 20 times. Is it toast? No, because I normally wear the other helmets I have.

If I wore a helmet for 8 hours a day, 5 days every week, no way would it last 5 years. But one weekend per month, for 2 hours, it'll last heaps longer.

This all sounds like a bit of a rant (maybe it is), but this whole 5 year thing sounds like a manufacturer trying to sell more helmets.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    I've often wondered the same thing. My helmet probably sees close to 500 hours of use per year. There's no way it should last as long as one that only gets used once in a blue moon and gets kept in a dark cupboard somewhere the rest of the time.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Rocket 111 Touring (2010)
    I've got a Nexx Carbon helmet that cost the equivalent of $1500 on a trip back to the UK 6 years ago. Gets used maybe 20hrs a year and spends the rest of its time in its original box in a cupboard. My house has fully ducted aircon and is 21C all year around. I would think close to ideal conditions.

Took it from its box last spring and the entire surface was sticky because the lacquer was breaking down. I have a Shoei about a year older that has done the same. Yet I have other much older and cheaper helmets in the same cupboard that still look perfect. One is a KBC from 2005.

IMHO I believe that newer helmets are being made with materials with a relatively short lifetime. Because of this I now buy the cheapest helmets that I can find that still have a good safety rating. My current one being a Caberg.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Staples View Post
    I all ,Just a bit of a rant here. rang local dealer to get new visor for a hjc rpha10 and was told that hjc helmets have a life span of 5 years therefore they don't make visors for them any more. is this normal for other brands ??As it turns out Mine was actually a 10 plus (next model ) so there are some visors on the water but how long before they hit the 5 year limit I don't know. aliexpress has lots of rpha 10 visors but not 10 plus . anybody had experience with aliexpress visors??
    Have you tried contacting any other dealers ??? ... some dealers don't like holding stock for older models of anything. But some dealers still find themselves with some older stuff ... and don't want to dump it.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Sold
    I recently bought a gold iridium AliExpress visor for my Shoei GT Air. It was a bit of an experiment to see if it would help combat the afternoon glare off the Firth of Thames on my way home. Consequently, I didn't want to spend the $200-odd for an iridium visor sourced in NZ. I paid USD $43.69 from AliExpress. Delighted to say that it's a perfect fit and being reflective rather than heavily tinted through its thickness, it can be used in relatively low light. It's even Pinlock-ready. A happy camper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shoei.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	551.8 KB 
ID:	348982  

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Call Boyd Motorcycles in Hamilton on 07 850 4522. They'll be able to sort you out with something.

Most helmets are only a 5 year life span so makes sense as they'll be putting out new models etc, but whether they can source bits is another question that Boyd will answer.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    When I was commuting daily, I was wearing my helmet for at least 2 hours a day, 5 days a week.

I replaced it after just over 5 years, the Plastic had faded and I didn't want to take the chance.

But my current helmet, hasn't seen the light of Day for a wee while, so I'm not too worried.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by FLUB View Post
    I've got a Nexx Carbon helmet that cost the equivalent of $1500 on a trip back to the UK 6 years ago. Gets used maybe 20hrs a year and spends the rest of its time in its original box in a cupboard. My house has fully ducted aircon and is 21C all year around. I would think close to ideal conditions.

Took it from its box last spring and the entire surface was sticky because the lacquer was breaking down. I have a Shoei about a year older that has done the same. Yet I have other much older and cheaper helmets in the same cupboard that still look perfect. One is a KBC from 2005.

IMHO I believe that newer helmets are being made with materials with a relatively short lifetime. Because of this I now buy the cheapest helmets that I can find that still have a good safety rating. My current one being a Caberg.
    That sounds very weird, like they’ve been exposed to something, not unknowingly living in an ex meth house are you?
    I’ve still got three old shoei’s here ones about 20 years old nothing like what you describe, the internal thin foam lining has decomposed much like car upholstery does but the outer is still fit for ornamental display.
    I won’t buy any other brand.

Back to topic a helmet lasts as long as it still fits well and with caveat suitable judgement on the extortion with regard to sun exposure...
    My 2nd last Shoei is about nine years old, relegated to commuter duty only because bottom pad surface starting to age and visor chips etc.
    Replaced with new Shoei

Btw HJC R70 fit feels real similar to Shoei but I hate that visor clip protruding in centre vision
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Rocket 111 Touring (2010)
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    That sounds very weird, like they’ve been exposed to something, not unknowingly living in an ex meth house are you?
    Hope not. We built the house so that would mean that my missus was keeping a really big secret

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I recently bought a gold iridium AliExpress visor for my Shoei GT Air. It was a bit of an experiment to see if it would help combat the afternoon glare off the Firth of Thames on my way home. Consequently, I didn't want to spend the $200-odd for an iridium visor sourced in NZ. I paid USD $43.69 from AliExpress. Delighted to say that it's a perfect fit and being reflective rather than heavily tinted through its thickness, it can be used in relatively low light. It's even Pinlock-ready. A happy camper.
    I have a Shoei mirrored visor, but I've hardly used it since buying a light smoke a few years ago. I find this works better when riding into the sun at this time of year. The mirrored visor is great in summer though, as it seems to block IR better than a tinted visor.

There are some very cheap visors on AliExpress. Not sure I'd be brave enough to use one.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by FLUB View Post

That does sound unusual. Many years ago I damaged a helmet by keeping it the laundry cupboard along with household cleaning products, but I have never had a problem with the paint on a Shoei.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I have a Shoei mirrored visor, but I've hardly used it since buying a light smoke a few years ago. I find this works better when riding into the sun at this time of year. The mirrored visor is great in summer though, as it seems to block IR better than a tinted visor.

There are some very cheap visors on AliExpress. Not sure I'd be brave enough to use one.
    My Shoei has a light smoke internal visor which is fine for most occasions but not reflections off the Firth of Thames when the sun is relatively low - it's a real issue, compounded by dark spots under the overhanging trees. As I mentioned, the gold iridium visor does a better job in these circumstances. It's definitely a copy as it doesn't carry the Shoei serial details but the small moulding details of the Shoei are all present in the copy. This is the specific supplier: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/801...5f664c4darhdeA .

Thread Information