Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help choosing my bike

Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)

Smile Help choosing my bike

Hi all!,

I am currently on a 2016 MT07 (LAMs) and I have gotten my full through CBTA (just waiting till June to get it), I'm in a bit of a dilemma on what bike I want to get. I will be commuting about 40kms each day for about 4 days a week in urban streets (maybe a few kms on the motorway but don't have to). It will be my main mode of transport as I don't have a car but will be able to get a ride if necessary so I won't be needing to ride in real bad weather.

With all that out of the way, I was looking at spending around 10-13k on a bike, I am currently looking at the 2017+ MT09s but have an interest in SuperMotos. I want something different so I was looking at a KTM 250/300 EXC Two Stroke that I want to make into a road legal SuperMoto. With the info mentioned above can someone give me some advice if either it's worth it or if I am just wasting my time.

I'm a little nervous as I've heard KTMs are a bit "unreliable" , I don't want a four stroke as I'm just not interested, I've owned a DRZ400 DualSport in the past and enjoyed that quite a bit. Does anyone know how much I would be spending in total for the bike and full conversion (+ all the legal stuff). I know you have to get a road kit, tyres, wheels, (brakes?), sprocket change/chain. If anyone has more info on what I need to do to convert please let me know!.

Thanks for reading, any help will be appreciated

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    The 2t enduros are horrid on the road unless you're outright having a hoon. In which case they are hilarious.

Vibey, uncomfortable, focused, thirsty and quite high maintenance compared to a "proper" road bike. They don't like tootling along in traffic.

This is an old codgers perspective. I spent my formative years riding 2t trailies as my only transport but they were quite soft and civilised by comparison, much fun was had. Still have a couple and they are pretty good on the road. For awhile.

An off the shelf 4t motard is still huge fun and worth considering.

If you go the 2t route try and find a model which is road legal in other countries so you can get a road kit. Much more simple.

Awaiting a damn good pillorying.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Get the KTM and team up with someone who has a van or trailer. Awesome fun on the dirt.

On the road? No thanks, plus they are a competition bike. Maintenance schedules would be once a month or less for rebuild as you do so many more kilometres on the road.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    The 2t enduros are horrid on the road unless you're outright having a hoon. In which case they are hilarious.

Vibey, uncomfortable, focused, thirsty and quite high maintenance compared to a "proper" road bike. They don't like tootling along in traffic.

This is an old codgers perspective. I spent my formative years riding 2t trailies as my only transport but they were quite soft and civilised by comparison, much fun was had. Still have a couple and they are pretty good on the road. For awhile.

An off the shelf 4t motard is still huge fun and worth considering.

If you go the 2t route try and find a model which is road legal in other countries so you can get a road kit. Much more simple.

Awaiting a damn good pillorying.
    Ah ok, I had a feeling it wouldn't be that good, may have to bye more than one bike

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Modestep15 View Post
    Ah ok, I had a feeling it wouldn't be that good, may have to bye more than one bike
    Works for me, I just need a bigger shed.

If you have won lotto and are good at finding hens teeth then you might want a TDR 250. They commute just fine.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    husaberg
    From what i can understand a KTM300 will do 100 hours on a piston
    So thats 10,000 km at 100 km/h.
    the recommended interval is 80 hours though
    With the same for the crank being rebuilt.
    if you wanted a road legal supermoto 2T without the pain go with an older CRM or RMX250 and put on smaller wheels.
    or buy that TDR250 that was on TM
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    From what i can understand a KTM300 will do 100 hours on a piston
    So thats 10,000 km at 100 km/h.
    the recommended interval is 80 hours though
    With the same for the crank being rebuilt.
    if you wanted a road legal supermoto 2T without the pain go with an older CRM or RMX250 and put on smaller wheels.
    or buy that TDR250 that was on TM
    Yeah those older 2t seem pretty good, would a better option be to get a KTm as a secondary/weekend bike for fun?

Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    Works for me, I just need a bigger shed.

If you have won lotto and are good at finding hens teeth then you might want a TDR 250. They commute just fine.
    Awesome, cheers

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Keep your MT, spend $6k on a supermoto and spend the rest on tyres, training and trackdays

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Modestep15 View Post
    Yeah those older 2t seem pretty good, would a better option be to get a KTm as a secondary/weekend bike for fun?
    I have a CRM 250 and a DT 230 Lanza. Got spare wheels for them but the moto plan has been on hold forever. The CRM came over from the UK and I have not got round to registering it on the road here. Too much faff. But when no one is looking..

If by weekend fun you mean playing in the twisties then, yeah, they are a hoot. I use the CRM for my off road riding and it's a bit of a pig. Heavy and a bit bitey with a Gnarly pipe on it. The old suspenders don't like decent jumps, either. Fairly open single track it's a rocket but really hard work in tight bush.

If you can find a good one they are worth it IMHO. Reliable, parts are available and really civilised compared to a modern competition bike.

Funnily enough, a mate has a PE 400X which has a lapsed rego. That might end up back on the road. Pretty sure it's LAM's, too.

Guess I just have a penchant for these old 2t's. End of a really fun era.

A modern 2t motard would indeed be a hoot for weekend hoonery, but you wouldn't go far.
    Last edited by george formby; 9th May 2021 at 10:45. Reason: Re-read original post.. D'oh.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    Keep your MT, spend $6k on a supermoto and spend the rest on tyres, training and trackdays
    I don't have the funds at the moment for a standalone SM, so I was planning on selling my MT and get it or an MT09. Do you mean a street legal SM or purely for the track. I was also thinking getting a MT09 then saving up and getting a 2T SM sometime next year

Bike
    cbr250rr (MC22)
    I have a CRM 250 and a DT 230 Lanza. Got spare wheels for them but the moto plan has been on hold forever. The CRM came over from the UK and I have not got round to registering it on the road here. Too much faff. But when no one is looking..

If by weekend fun you mean playing in the twisties then, yeah, they are a hoot. I use the CRM for my off road riding and it's a bit of a pig. Heavy and a bit bitey with a Gnarly pipe on it. The old suspenders don't like decent jumps, either. Fairly open single track it's a rocket but really hard work in tight bush.

If you can find a good one they are worth it IMHO. Reliable, parts are available and really civilised compared to a modern competition bike.

Funnily enough, a mate has a PE 400X which has a lapsed rego. That might end up back on the road. Pretty sure it's LAM's, too.

Guess I just have a penchant for these old 2t's. End of a really fun era.

A modern 2t motard would indeed be a hoot for weekend hoonery, but you wouldn't go far.
    Yeah by weekend fun I mean twisties and maybe some light gravel roads, I think I may get the MT09 for a daily and go for a 2T SM sometime next year. The modern bikes appeal to me more because of the looks, and mainly the availability.

Thanks for your reply!

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Is a 4t totally, totally out of the question?

Manopausal.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    That's a pretty good suggestion. The MT-07 is a good commuter, which allows you to get something less practical and more highly strung for when you want to ride for fun.

Sent from my SHT-AL09 using Tapatalk

Bike
    husaberg
    Is a 4t totally, totally out of the question?

Note in T2 even Hollywood wanted the 4t XR100 to sound like a 2T CR85
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information