Thread: ANother bike reccomendation thread.

Bike
    1988 GSX400x Impulse Buy

ANother bike reccomendation thread.

6'2" 105kg.(but losing weight rapidly at the moment)

Have around 10k to spend. Currently riding a ZXR250, which is obviously not the best for me, given the age and mileage. I like the riding position, maybe something a fraction less crouched. My wife is quitting work soon to have a baby, so whatever I get will have to last me for a solid 5years+.

I would like to get something sporty/faired, but I am not opposed to a naked. I sat on a MT-07 and a Ninja400 and found them terribly uncomfortable. The Yamaha had my wrists at a terrible angle, and the Ninja felt like I was trying to bend my back the wrong way between my shoulder blades, like it needed lower clipons to be really comfortable.

I commute about 25km a day at 100km/mostly gentle to moderate windy roads and about 5kms of urban.

Also, thanks to having to keep whatever I get for a long time, I feel like something that can be derestricted would be good. It seems like my options are CBR650R which is out of the budget, RS660, which is even more out of the budget, SV650 with some aftermarket clipons and a screen, or a Duke/RC390. The RC seems perfect, but they are an 8 year old design at this point, which is putting me off, also I wonder about whether 40hp will be enough for me for 5 years, same with the Duke.

I am probably going to get the SV, but wondering if anyone else can chime in.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Fuck I want to see you on the ZXR. It's gotta be as funny as fuck to see.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    A mate on his learners has been humming and hahing over the same dilemma. He came home with a brand spanking SV650 last week.

Hard to beat a new bike at that price.

He hasn't given me a shot yet. I'm 6'2 and will report back in due course.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    A mate on his learners has been humming and hahing over the same dilemma. He came home with a brand spanking SV650 last week.

Hard to beat a new bike at that price.

He hasn't given me a shot yet. I'm 6'2 and will report back in due course.
    When you get a chance to ride it, let me know what you think of the brakes. I've just returned an SV courtesy bike and the brakes were bloody awful. I'm thinking it was probably just an issue with that bike, as the hardware itself looked reasonable.

Other than that, it was quite a nice bike to ride. For a LAMS bike, it went alright at real world commuter speeds.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I always recommend the Triumph Street Triple range - even the LAMS one. I owned an earlier generation of SV650 and after a while the things that they did to be able to sell it for that price really shine through. Principally the suspension is shit at both ends. Nothing a rebuild at the front and new shock at the rear wouldnt fix - but you've just spent $2500 or so on your budget bike.

Take a Street Triple for a hoon if for no other reason than comparison purposes.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    I'm the very happy owner of a Street Triple R 675.

My only issue would be that I could only bring myself to recommend a second hand one for a new rider. 14k+ is a lot to fork out for a LAMS bike.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Experienced rider, another 675. Enough for the street.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    A
    650 V-Strom or SV650

Value for money, not the most exciting bikes, but it fits the budget

Bike
    Tuono 660, Suzuki SV650 racebike
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    When you get a chance to ride it, let me know what you think of the brakes. I've just returned an SV courtesy bike and the brakes were bloody awful. I'm thinking it was probably just an issue with that bike, as the hardware itself looked reasonable.

Other than that, it was quite a nice bike to ride. For a LAMS bike, it went alright at real world commuter speeds.

I bought a brand new 2020 model last year and the stock brakes are fine, you must've got a dud or it needed a bleed up. You possibly know this but in 2019 Suzuki upgraded the front calipers from 2 pot to 4 pot. The 2 pots were pretty average. I race mine in Pro Twins and all I've done is fit braided lines and sintered pads.

As a new bike, yes maybe not the most exciting thing but the price is right. Nice chassis and the motors a proven gem but the suspension is budget.
    The Triumph Trident gets good reviews but they all seem to be the LAMS model here, not the full 80HP.

Thread Information