Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: speed... GPS vs speedo

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
    My older Garmin in the trusty 04 Rav 4 both agree on speed readings , the Garmin in the 11 Kizashi says the Suzi is 4kms under at 100kph the roadside speed read outs agree with the Garmin and the fact other cars catch me up and the ones in front creep away while mine indicates 100kph.
    The Garmin in my 2005 RAV 4 agrees within 2km/hr with what is shown on the speedo. The speedo on my wife's Jazz RS appears to read about 6km/hr high compared with the GPS and phone. Compared with various GPS models I've owned, the speedo on my Blackbird read 110 km/hr at a GPS 100 which was the worst variance of any bike I've owned. The best is my current Duke 790 at 105 km/hr indicated.
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post

Also in my circles it seems radar detector owners get more tickets, sometimes old school situational awareness beats technogy which always has its failings.
    I bought a radar detector in 2005 and stopped using it in 2010. Totally agree that good situational awareness was and still is the first and best line of defence and the detector was just an adjunct to that. I mainly stopped using it as it wasn't as useful as I thought it would be for the sort of riding I do. Not a good look being an IAM mentor either

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post

I bought a radar detector in 2005 and stopped using it in 2010. Totally agree that good situational awareness was and still is the first and best line of defence and the detector was just an adjunct to that. I mainly stopped using it as it wasn't as useful as I thought it would be for the sort of riding I do. Not a good look being an IAM mentor either
    Not being an IAM mentor I'm not thus encumbered. There have been a number of times the detector has saved me when the source of the signal was just not visible because it was down a hill, around a bend, behind an obstrction, or similar.

As long as you don't rely on the detector totally. All of which reminds me I need a coupla betteries for the helmet receiver unit...
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Not being an IAM mentor I'm not thus encumbered. There have been a number of times the detector has saved me when the source of the signal was just not visible because it was down a hill, around a bend, behind an obstrction, or similar.

As long as you don't rely on the detector totally. All of which reminds me I need a coupla betteries for the helmet receiver unit...
    Hahaha! Likewise when I used mine, useful with partially disguised camera vans too. However, doing the odd trackday is a better place for the higher speeds and to be honest, tight twisty back roads offer far more enjoyment than outright speed. Yep, it's when you put too much reliance on a detector that the trouble starts......

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    The jap cars I've owned have all read around 5k higher on the speedo than actual speed, when checked against GPS.

The old Peugeot on it's original tyres was the same, when I swapped wheels the tyres were 1 size bigger, so now reads pretty much bang on.

The mercs and bmw's in the family all read the same as the GPS give or take bugger all, german efficiency and all that.

Had one car that read under, wondered why everyone was going so slow all the time, turned out the little fiat's speedo was about 7k lower than actual speed.

Always do a check against GPS so I know what speed I'm actually doing, weird thing is the work cars with sat nav built in still don't use the GPS for the speed so indicated is usually about 5k fast.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    I ran my GPS at the same time. It agreed with the stopwatch. 105, at 36 seconds per km, was exactly 100km/hr on the GPS.
    FUCK yes... tried this on the way home... to the .00 of a sec, bloody amazing...
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    The vehicle is not legal if it under-reads (you're doing 105 real, and it says 100), so often manufacturers, for safety, will deliberately make the vehicle over-read.
    WRONG ... the (NZ) law states your speedometer must be working for WOF. It does NOT state it must be accurate.

It is the vehicle operator that has to ensure they do not exceed any posted speed limit. How they do that is their responsibility.

Any GPS unit needs a fix on more than one satellite to get a reading ... at least five to get a half decent result of your speed accuracy. For the GPS to get a fix on at least five during your entire journey is (at best) a bit of a lottery.

But for all that ... I'd trust GPS over any vehicle speedometer.

And my GPS got me off a 122 km/hr speeding ticket. But that's another story ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    Yeah I fooked that up... Ment to say speedometers read 4ish above actual
    So if GPS is more the accurate then what does piggles do you with...
    By this I'm safe to sit at speedo 105kph and not get remed as the GPS says 100
    If your speed is below the speed limit (or tolerance being permitted at the officers discretion) ... they leave you alone.

Unless they're having a quiet day ... and then a Random breath test is in order. Followed by the WOF / rego / license check.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Firstly NEVER tell the cop about your GPS device if your disputing his claim. As all you are doing is announcing another treasure trove of evidence that he can now seize and use against you.
    Same for any of those phone apps that track your ride and overlay it on a sat map for social media bragging

A truckie mate made the bad decision to dispute a roadside ticket because his GPS said 96 (which is still same ticket) vs 98. Cop got real pissed off and several days later seized GPS records and he was now facing over 300 seperate occasions of speeding.... plus location data didnÂ’t match logbook rest times...

Went along to watch the case as I knew matey had couple avenues of possible escape....
    Early on the judge announced that NZ courts had already accepted GPS speed data as 100% accurate in previous cases so he was buffered there.
    The judge was real hesitant about location data though (even though its linked if you understand how it all works) as that has never been used in nz court before.

In the end the cops made major stuff up by presenting the evidence in a hearsay manner and they didnÂ’t know where the servers were so defence was denied right to contest accurateness and integrity of the stored data/evidence.

Whole case was dismissed, judge was really pissed off.

In over 2 million trucking kms IÂ’ve always found most trucks accurate to about 2km my car and bikes usually overread about 4km.

Also in my circles it seems radar detector owners get more tickets, sometimes old school situational awareness beats technogy which always has its failings.
    That all seems strange as the police have limited powers to search a motor vehicle, unless you give them permission. Certainly not to retrieve a GPS to investigate speeding.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I think you are supposed to say; "cool story bro"

His mate was a truckie in Iraq maybe.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I think you are supposed to say; "cool story bro"

His mate was a truckie in Iraq maybe.
    Sorry, it was a good story!

Maybe the cops got the data from a GPS tracking system? But yes, definitely best to avoid getting in that situation.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Sorry, it was a good story!

Maybe the cops got the data from a GPS tracking system? But yes, definitely best to avoid getting in that situation.
    My mate had a pretty good lawyer so I'm sure if that's was the case it wouldn't have even got near courtroom stage.
    Not sure of search rights as I'm not a criminal or activist so haven't needed to know my rights in those regards. Pretty sure in post 911 world search warrants are mere formalities....
    In any case the boss handed over the records, well a copy thereof which leant the hearsay angle...
    CVIU have pretty strong powers to seize logbook and related data at any time....
    Data stored in the cloud....

Dont get me started on GPS service providers selling speed data to law enforcement either ( mainstream news USA).....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    If the police ask if they can search something, that usually means they have no legal right to do so. Sometimes they don't even bother asking if they think they can get away with it...

Bike
    A
    That all seems strange as the police have limited powers to search a motor vehicle, unless you give them permission. Certainly not to retrieve a GPS to investigate speeding.
    The CVST have fairly broad powers to request GPS records, if deception is suspected, not that hard in some cases.
    Serious injury or fatality accident is another example, best have your records straight
    But as with any enforcement agency, not enough bods on the ground to effectively police all the dodgy stuff going on

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Firstly NEVER tell the cop about your GPS device if your disputing his claim. As all you are doing is announcing another treasure trove of evidence that he can now seize and use against you.
    Same for any of those phone apps that track your ride and overlay it on a sat map for social media bragging
    My hand held GPS got me off a 122 km/hr ticket. The cop stopped me and declared he got a lock on my speed. Asked if I wanted to see the readout on the Hawk. YES was my response. 122 km/hr was showing. I showed him my GPS which declared my MAXIMUM speed for the last 2.5 hrs was 98.3 km/hr. I asked him how his machine could differ from my GPS. He (with a straight face) told me my GPS needed "Re calibrating". My response was to ask for the certification HIS unit was accurate ... and the date it was LAST certified as accurate. He declined my request. This officer worked out of the area I lived in (Alexandra) and the Senior Sargent in charge was known to me as he was involved in the Scouting movement as was I. I had his phone number and rang him. Told him my issue ... and the response was ... He's done it again. (This particular officer was known to keep the readout on the screen and uses it as "evidence" of excess speed for more than one stop). He asked me to pass my phone to the officer. I did. Request was made for BOTH of us to go to the Alexandra station. I was heading home anyway so we did. MY GPS was shown and was allowed to depart.

GPS records the speed attained. Not LOCATION that the speed that was attained. Those that choose to keep records of their previous speeding records are entitled to. But there can be downsides to that. As you've said ... questions can be asked. My device never stored speed history. I saw to that.

And my phone does not have "Apps".

A truckie mate made the bad decision to dispute a roadside ticket because his GPS said 96 (which is still same ticket) vs 98. Cop got real pissed off and several days later seized GPS records and he was now facing over 300 separate occasions of speeding.... plus location data didnÂ’t match logbook rest times...
    The GPS tracking records of commercial vehicles fitted to vehicles is commonplace nowadays. Routes taken by the vehicle and speeds attained are officially on record. Rest stops and times between start and finish of journeys are hard to argue. GPS records time moving and time stopped. Both of which has to differ from what is claimed for charges to be laid. PROVING those charges in a Court of LAW is another story.

In the end the cops made major stuff up by presenting the evidence in a hearsay manner and they didnÂ’t know where the servers were so defence was denied right to contest accurateness and integrity of the stored data/evidence.
    Undeniable proof of the location/time of the offense is required for a conviction.

Whole case was dismissed, judge was really pissed off.
    The judge had no choice.

In over 2 million trucking kms IÂ’ve always found most trucks accurate to about 2km my car and bikes usually overread about 4km.
    Nine years driving furniture trucks ... their speedo's were pretty accurate, but My FJ1200 is pretty much bang on the money. Yamaha quality I guess ...

Radar detector owners RELY on their warnings. Those without them rely on luck. Plod operators of the Radar devices seldom have them constantly on. Tactics is the name of that game.

If you're the only vehicle on ANY stretch of road ... it's pretty hard to claim "It wasn't you .. !!!"

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    If the police ask if they can search something, that usually means they have no legal right to do so. Sometimes they don't even bother asking if they think they can get away with it...
    Not quite. Bullshit actually. Speed in getting an offense actioned in due legal process is important before evidence is "lost". Refusal implies an offense HAS been committed. THEN ... if the case might stand up in court ... they just start digging deeper. With reasonable cause to do so.

If an offense HAS been committed ... an early admission of guilt will be to the accused benefit in court. The route YOU might take in that regard is your choice.

Thread Information