Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: speed... GPS vs speedo

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Not quite. Bullshit actually. Speed in getting an offense actioned in due legal process is important before evidence is "lost". Refusal implies an offense HAS been committed. THEN ... if the case might stand up in court ... they just start digging deeper. With reasonable cause to do so.

If an offense HAS been committed ... an early admission of guilt will be to the accused benefit in court. The route YOU might take in that regard is your choice.
    Maybe you should read my post more slowly and carefully.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    GPS records the speed attained. Not LOCATION that the speed that was attained.
    Not quite. Depends on the GPS perhaps, while the GPS will just show the basic max speed, pull the trip logs to a PC and open in the software, and it will tell you exactly what you did over each point to point in the log etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    That all seems strange as the police have limited powers to search a motor vehicle, unless you give them permission. Certainly not to retrieve a GPS to investigate speeding.
    At the time the vehicle is stopped roadside maybe. BUT ... if due cause to believe an offense has been committed ... your claim is bullshit. But most Commercial vehicle GPS tracking system recorders ... the drivers have no access to. The ones the drivers use with the maps giving directions to an address store little information relevant to Police interest.

But most commercial vehicle operators with GPS tracking systems installed in their vehicles ... keep records of the data in the system at the Business main office. The chance of proving innocence is more likely than guilt (on most occasions). BUT ... if there IS suspected guilt ... a Court order ... and the truth comes out.

What plod are after is seldom a single traffic (speeding) offense ... but proof of a multiple and continued offending ... and it is their intention to (try to) prove it IN COURT.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Not quite. Depends on the GPS perhaps, while the GPS will just show the basic max speed, pull the trip logs to a PC and open in the software, and it will tell you exactly what you did over each point to point in the log etc.
    My hand held stored Max speed. Time stopped. Time moving. Total elapsed time and average speed. Other (stored) options were available. None of which could PROVE location of any of the above. If proof of WHERE it happened ... cannot be PROVEN ... no charges can be laid.

Commercial vehicle tracking systems are different. What is kept in the system might be valuable to plod ... but what actually was NOT recorded is important. Important to avoid the attentions of plod.

I was NEVER censured (by my employer) for exceeding any posted speed limits ... unless I was caught (by Plod) doing so.

And my Log Book entries were never questioned.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Maybe you should read my post more slowly and carefully.
    I did.

If the police ask if they can search something, that usually means they have no legal right to do so. Sometimes they don't even bother asking if they think they can get away with it...
    Your use of "Usually" means that's YOUR opinion. Not actually a fact in all or ANY occasions. I bet you can't even claim any set percentage of traffic stops this MIGHT occur. As such ... it's NOT fact ... just a guess/assumption by you that their intention for asking permission is devious.

And at any traffic stop ... they DO have the right to ask you ... better results are gained from politeness than demands. The end result in Court (if there WAS an offense) goes better if permission was attained first.

You just keep refusing permission to search ... and I hope it all turns out well for you.

Safer rides ... I doubt it.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    I only have Garmin GPS units and they all record a track log as you go as Gremlin has said and they continually archive the information in files which I can download to my laptop.

The stored sampling rate varies by the unit itself depending on how straight the road was and how constant your speed was and with an individual leg length of only a second or so it would be hard to argue you weren't actually going that speed at that time.

See attached screen grab from a sample track which I slid the bar over to show the actual position coordinates. If anyone got hold of such information it would be hard to argue you weren't going that speed at that location at the time recorded. This recording was from my Garmin Nuvi standard car navigation GPS and it does record most things.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GPS Track Log Sample2.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	349121  
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I did.

Your use of "Usually" means that's YOUR opinion. Not actually a fact in all or ANY occasions. I bet you can't even claim any set percentage of traffic stops this MIGHT occur. As such ... it's NOT fact ... just a guess/assumption by you that their intention for asking permission is devious.

And at any traffic stop ... they DO have the right to ask you ... better results are gained from politeness than demands. The end result in Court (if there WAS an offense) goes better if permission was attained first.

You just keep refusing permission to search ... and I hope it all turns out well for you.

Safer rides ... I doubt it.
    The only point I am making is if they do ask to do something, it usually means that they need your permission to do so. At that point, you can simply say yes or no, or have a discussion and then decide.

I did not say what I would do in that situation.

Sometimes they may just ask instead of invoking their powers under legislation such at the Misuse of Drugs Act, which can make it simpler for them in court. That is why I said "usually".

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    The only point I am making is if they do ask to do something, it usually means that they need your permission to do so. At that point, you can simply say yes or no, or have a discussion and then decide.
    BULLSHIT. Most cases it is because it's in the interest of Public Relations ... it's more polite to ask than DEMAND.

If they have Reasonable Cause to believe ... the rules change. Then the demands are made and you should phone your lawyer.

I did not say what I would do in that situation.
    Don't care. But your assumptions on their asking is wrong.

Sometimes they may just ask instead of invoking their powers under legislation such at the Misuse of Drugs Act, which can make it simpler for them in court. That is why I said "usually".
    If you think they resort to using the Misuse of Drugs act in what is a non drug related traffic stop ... you really HAVE got it wrong.

As I said ... Reasonable cause to believe ... can cover a lot of arrests and searches.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    The stored sampling rate varies by the unit itself depending on how straight the road was and how constant your speed was and with an individual leg length of only a second or so it would be hard to argue you weren't actually going that speed at that time.

See attached screen grab from a sample track which I slid the bar over to show the actual position coordinates. If anyone got hold of such information it would be hard to argue you weren't going that speed at that location at the time recorded. This recording was from my Garmin Nuvi standard car navigation GPS and it does record most things.
    If people choose to fit and use equipment in/on their vehicles (in plain view) that stores information that could incriminate themselves ... that is their choice. Have you looked to see what settings can be made so some information does not get recorded .. ??

And not much point in trying to argue your way out of a speeding ticket. Unless you weren't speeding. Which ... in the case I described in a post above ... I wasn't. And hadn't been.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    I disabled the tracking recording ability of my Garman Zumo. Not because of fear of apprehension. It was after I saw that it recorded me at 184km/hr in the street where I lived.
    Well, gee that's some performance of the bike. The distance from me to the end of the road was about 35 metres. Some acceleration eh?

Quite apart from the fact that I never used any of the recorded stuff anyway, I decided that such nonsense was not worth having so disabled it.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Geez some of youse guys have dragged the fun out of this thread with petty handbag slinging. ��

Lighten up and let's be more positive. Working as a team of diverse agents but with a common interest and goal.

Namely taking the piss out of dangerous.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Bugger off Dave...
    So this part will get them going again...
    Part reason for the thread is a public member *555 me right, tried getting me for "dangerous" but its come in the mail and its passing with no view ahead...
    CROCK A SHIT they were in a wee car tailgating another, so all they could see was a bumper I however have 2m roof height and could see for... And here we have it cos I brought a dash cam GPS and took a video and measured the road, 800m viability.
    We were in a 100k area them 70-80kph max and twice down to 60kph.
    So I passed and they complained and I got nicked

Fuckers
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    Bugger off Dave...
    So this part will get them going again...
    Part reason for the thread is a public member *555 me right, tried getting me for "dangerous" but its come in the mail and its passing with no view ahead...
    CROCK A SHIT they were in a wee car tailgating another, so all they could see was a bumper I however have 2m roof height and could see for... And here we have it cos I brought a dash cam GPS and took a video and measured the road, 800m viability.
    We were in a 100k area them 70-80kph max and twice down to 60kph.
    So I passed and they complained and I got nicked

Fuckers
    I call BULLSHIT with this post. Or ... there is a lot you aren't telling us.

*555 calls go like this ...

Police will treat your Community Roadwatch report as confidential. Your report will be assessed and if an offence and vehicle can be clearly identified, Police will contact the owner of the vehicle to tell them of the allegation made and of the expected standards of driver behaviour.

If you want the incident to be investigated with a view to the offender being prosecuted, you must lodge a formal complaint at your nearest police station.

If YOUR "Bill in the mail" arrived without YOU having a chat with Plod ... due *555 process was not followed. And you have a right to complain.

Bike
    It was on the good
    I had to change my route to work as some prick took a dislike to my filtering to the front of the traffic and *555'd me.

Have now solved the problem by getting a bike with handlebars so wide filtering is a pain in the arse. Now I'm the prick.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    I call BULLSHIT with this post. Or ... there is a lot you aren't telling us.

*555 calls go like this ...

If YOUR "Bill in the mail" arrived without YOU having a chat with Plod ... due *555 process was not followed. And you have a right to complain.
    ohh we chatted all right, he rightly nutted of at me hence the dangerous threat... but he sent out the later
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Thread Information