Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On road costs

Bike
    suzuki

On road costs

my partner just brought a brand new car. We sat down to sign up and there was $1095 ORC, -on road costs-

I asked for a breakdown on this

Wheel alignment

3 years warrant of fitness

pre purchase check

new number plate

1 years registration

a tank of gas

so warrant of fitness are around $60 and on a new car this lasts three years

rego and plate maybe $220

petrol, maybe $70 depending on tank size

What the fuck is that all about, maybe $450 including labour.

why is it called on road costs and not on road charges, clearly it costs less than they are charging.

in some countries this practice is illegal

Bike
    GSXR1000
    First time registration is a bit more pricey than re-licensing (for example a car with a displacement of 2000cc is around $243 for 6mths first-time rego and around a third of that to re-license) but yeah it is a major have, I've seen some dealerships charge above $2000 on new vehicles.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    First time registration is a bit more pricey than re-licensing (for example a car with a displacement of 2000cc is around $243 for 6mths first-time rego and around a third of that to re-license) but yeah it is a major have, I've seen some dealerships charge above $2000 on new vehicles.
    you used the word charge, why are these called costs when they are actually charges?

Bike
    I Ride No More
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    you used the word charge, why are these called costs when they are actually charges?
    Possibly because "costs" sound fixed and non-negotiable, whereas "charges" sound negotiable to the buyer?

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking01 View Post
    Possibly because "costs" sound fixed and non-negotiable, whereas "charges" sound negotiable to the buyer?
    Because it is a charge, not a cost. But as Viking points out cost sounds less negotiable than charge.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking01 View Post
    my point exactly.

Bike
    1994 VFR750F, 2006 XR250L
    You should not be charged for wheel alignment for a new car, it should be set right before you buy else it is not fit for purpose.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    You should not be charged for wheel alignment for a new car, it should be set right before you buy else it is not fit for purpose.
    Might be an import? Otherwise agreed.

PS. Noted now that Jelly's car was brand new.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Pre-purchase check and wheel alignment on a new car?

I can understand some labour on bikes, as they aren't completely assembled in the crate, but a car? Do they have to add the tyres to the rims?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Pre-purchase check and wheel alignment on a new car?

I can understand some labour on bikes, as they aren't completely assembled in the crate, but a car? Do they have to add the tyres to the rims?
    but that's not a surprise when they open the crate though so bullshit too. what other product sits on a showroom floor with a price on it and then requires work already done to be paid for on top?

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    That's bs I'd thought if you mention commerce commission . on road costs are plates car has two .WOF .just got my car replated cost 300.00 plus can't remember .with 6 months rego. If put fuel that's on them .

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by actungbaby View Post
    That's bs I'd thought if you mention commerce commission . on road costs are plates car has two .WOF .just got my car replated cost 300.00 plus can't remember .with 6 months rego. If put fuel that's on them .

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk
    Commerce commission are well versed in how the car industry operates. Remember it's charged as 'on-road costs', not registration. If it was the latter they could only charge what is reasonable in relation to actual registration and admin costs, but as it's on road costs well anything involved in getting the vehicle 'on the road' can be charged.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Commerce commission are well versed in how the car industry operates. Remember it's charged as 'on-road costs', not registration. If it was the latter they could only charge what is reasonable in relation to actual registration and admin costs, but as it's on road costs well anything involved in getting the vehicle 'on the road' can be charged.
    On a lot of vehicle sales on Trademe .. the line's commonly seen is either ... INCLUDES on road costs ... or EXCLUDES on road costs.

That means after paying the purchase price ... (including on road costs) it will be LEGALLY able to be driven on the road ... or (excluding on road costs) NOT legally ready to be driven on the road.

WOF/Registration/Vin are generally regarded as "On road costs" ... but in reality they are whatever it will cost you to make any vehicle legally able to be driven on the road.

Often ... lots of money needs to be spent before the easy (and cheap) bits like Registration and WOF. And if it needs re-vinned as well ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    You’ll see a lot of discrepancies in this area with one dealer even having different price to what their tm ad says.
    Clarified with dealer the price card hanging on vehicle is the drive/ride away price no extra charges and this was brand new.
    You should go to a new dealer unless what your buying is so popular they have a nationwide cartel price fixing arrangement which is now illegal lol

Also NEVER sit down at a dealership before you’ve agreed price and shaken hands STANDING. It’s a major psychological game and there are some great YouTube vids on negotiation tactics for you to use. Never take the wife, the dealer will play the two of you against each other. If the car is for her you should have said we needvtime to think go home and come back by your self to negotiate the deal.
    Also there is some clause with motor vehicle sales depending on if you cold called or if the dealer invited you in you can still cancel the agreement seven days later I think... it’s in fine print on sale and purchase agreement
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    What a fucking rort! PPI will be some booted and suited salesman walking around it once.
    My last FORD service was a complete fucking rip off, yeah I know the oil and filter for a Ranger is expensive but to be charged for all the things they didn't do and lie about it just made me angry. Cvnts!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Thread Information