Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helmets, Covid and Importing.

Bike
    Eeyore

Helmets, Covid and Importing.

Thought I'd treat myself to a new open face helmet Found a couple I like but the size and graphics I like seem to be made from unobtainem apart from a couple overseas. I'm presuming this is because of covid affecting production with factories being closed for long periods. So can anyone give me a reliable website or two where I could perhaps order from overseas? And are helmets liable for GST at customs or are they like bike parts where they are GST free? Cheers Motig.
    If it rains on your parade, use the umbrella of eternal optimism

Bike
    Rocket 111 Touring (2010)
    I don't think that anything is GST free anymore. Any businesses wanting to supply goods to NZ are required to register their interest in doing so. They are then expected to collect the GST and forward it to NZ. Even stuff on AliExpress now gets charged GST at checkout.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Why on earth would you buy a helmet so seriously compromised in design?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Eeyore

eek

Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Why on earth would you buy a helmet so seriously compromised in design?
    What are you talking about?

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I've seen some pretty scary damage on the front of helmets. Can you imagine getting caught and dragged down chip seal on your face?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Eeyore
    I get you now. Fully aware that the chinbar is good having had a come off last century that split it, came a way with a bit of delayed concussion. They've built a funeral parlour pretty much opposite where I landed. Guess their waiting.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Motig View Post
    Thought I'd treat myself to a new open face helmet Found a couple I like but the size and graphics I like seem to be made from unobtainem apart from a couple overseas. I'm presuming this is because of covid affecting production with factories being closed for long periods. So can anyone give me a reliable website or two where I could perhaps order from overseas? And are helmets liable for GST at customs or are they like bike parts where they are GST free? Cheers Motig.
    Deliveries from the USA can take a lot longer than normal. I bought something from California and was surprised to see its first stop was Memphis. It was going the wrong way.
    Long story short: it moved backwards and forward around Europe for about ten days until it moved to Qatar where it could be picked up by Emirates after which things moved at a normal speed. It seems there may be few flights from the US west coast.

To actually answer your question FC Moto in Germany are reliable, I have used them. Revzilla in the US are big, I'd be happy to use them, they currently have some helmets on special.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by FLUB View Post
    I don't think that anything is GST free anymore. Any businesses wanting to supply goods to NZ are required to register their interest in doing so. They are then expected to collect the GST and forward it to NZ. Even stuff on AliExpress now gets charged GST at checkout.
    Most overseas suppliers are not charging GST. There is a annual revenue threshold, plus the NZ government cannot compel them to collect GST.

The good news is that you won't pay GST at the border on anything under $1,000.

Bike
    Eeyore
    Thanks Guys.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I've seen some pretty scary damage on the front of helmets. Can you imagine getting caught and dragged down chip seal on your face?
    Where did they say it was for chip seal? there are some classes of motorcycle racing in the world where full face brain buckets are actually banned.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Most overseas suppliers are not charging GST. There is a annual revenue threshold, plus the NZ government cannot compel them to collect GST.

The good news is that you won't pay GST at the border on anything under $1,000.
    when is the last time you brought something in?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Watch Revzilla for import restrictions. I had to put some pants through Youshop (couldn't ship from Revilla direct to NZ), holy crap was that a mistake. Expensive and took 3-4 months (December to March/April). Ordered stuff from FC-Moto in January, and 2-3 weeks later it was here.

Yeah, FC now gets a lot of my overseas orders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    when is the last time you brought something in?
    About a month ago. That was over $1,000 and I expected pay GST at the border, but was not charged.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    I got a helmet from FC-Moto about 3 months ago. I didn't get charged GST and it didn't take too much longer than normal to arrive (within a couple of weeks). Even if I had been charged GST it would have still been ~$500 less than buying in NZ. I'm happy to support the local suppliers, but I'm not going to give them money like they are a charity I want to support!

I did get my bike serviced last week, so I did give a local bike shop a fuck-ton of money. I also have spent many hundreds of dollars with Motomox, but even though some of what they sell is cheaper overseas, it isn't generally all that much of a difference. It's one thing for a local supplier to charge more, but when they are taking the piss, I end up looking elsewhere.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    About a month ago. That was over $1,000 and I expected pay GST at the border, but was not charged.
    interesting, thought they'd plugged that gap. Most stuff i get through you shop, they charge the gst before you get it, i don't mond, it's better then it getting to our border and being charged gst and a hefty figure to collect that which i never appreciated

Thread Information