Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: Helmets, Covid and Importing.

  1. #16
    Join Date
    2nd March 2018 - 15:32
    Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    906
    From the Customs Service website:

    Items that cost NZ$1000 or less
    If you're bringing items to NZ from overseas that cost NZ$1000 or less you don't have to pay anything to Customs, as GST is collected when you purchase your items. There's nothing else that you must do for your items to arrive.

    However, we do charge Duty and GST for alcohol and tobacco products regardless of value.


    Which means if you buy from a site that does not charge GST, it won't be collected.

    I had an email from MyUS.com when the regs changed to say they would be charging GST on goods shipped to NZ, so maybe they went after the freight forwarders. I haven't found anyone based in Europe charging GST yet, although it is a small sample size. My last order from Partzilla 6 months ago did not include GST.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    10th June 2008 - 15:44
    Bike
    ES XTZ
    Location
    CH-CH
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by Motig View Post
    Thought I'd treat myself to a new open face helmet Found a couple I like but the size and graphics I like seem to be made from unobtainem apart from a couple overseas. I'm presuming this is because of covid affecting production with factories being closed for long periods. So can anyone give me a reliable website or two where I could perhaps order from overseas? And are helmets liable for GST at customs or are they like bike parts where they are GST free? Cheers Motig.
    Ive bought 2 helmets from Chromeburner and would do so again next time , have bought gear from FC Moto and will do so again

    https://www.chromeburner.com/helmets/

  3. #18
    Join Date
    15th October 2009 - 17:33
    Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    823
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    From the Customs Service website:

    Items that cost NZ$1000 or less
    If you're bringing items to NZ from overseas that cost NZ$1000 or less you don't have to pay anything to Customs, as GST is collected when you purchase your items. There's nothing else that you must do for your items to arrive.

    However, we do charge Duty and GST for alcohol and tobacco products regardless of value.


    Which means if you buy from a site that does not charge GST, it won't be collected.

    I had an email from MyUS.com when the regs changed to say they would be charging GST on goods shipped to NZ, so maybe they went after the freight forwarders. I haven't found anyone based in Europe charging GST yet, although it is a small sample size. My last order from Partzilla 6 months ago did not include GST.
    Hmmm it also says this further on:

    You are responsible for the information on Customs declarations being correct.

    Please be aware that some websites may offer to declare an incorrect value for your item on the Customs declaration, so you can avoid paying GST or duty.

    If the sender gives incorrect information or doesn’t make a declaration, your item could be delayed and investigated. In some cases, we may seize your item, and you will have to pay extra charges.
    So if the seller is supposed to charge GST and doesn't, does that mean customs could potentially seize the item (assuming they could be bothered)?
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

  4. #19
    Join Date
    28th May 2006 - 19:35
    Bike
    suzuki
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    7,473
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post



    So if the seller is supposed to charge GST and doesn't, does that mean customs could potentially seize the item (assuming they could be bothered)?
    most countries i thought did not charge tax on exports, to encourage exporting, gst is a tax like vat and others

  5. #20
    Join Date
    15th October 2009 - 17:33
    Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    823
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    most countries i thought did not charge tax on exports, to encourage exporting, gst is a tax like vat and others
    Yes but the govt, in its wisdom, has made it a requirement that anyone selling stuff online to NZ has to collect the GST as part of the purchase process, as in:

    If you're bringing items to NZ from overseas that cost NZ$1000 or less you don't have to pay anything to Customs, as GST is collected when you purchase your items. There's nothing else that you must do for your items to arrive.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

  6. #21
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,816
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    ... So if the seller is supposed to charge GST and doesn't, does that mean customs could potentially seize the item (assuming they could be bothered)?
    Their plan is to encourage you to buy locally.

    In reality ... most overseas purchases will be cheaper to buy online ... with or without GST getting added. If the purchase price is lower than an NZ available item ... the GST (if actually added) will be lower.

    A lot of online purchases are for items that are simply not available (any more) in NZ. Or ... as rare as hens teeth.

    Some countries probably wont charge GST to ensure your continued custom. Like ... China .. (or any Asian country) .. ??

    https://www.canstar.co.nz/credit-car...ing-need-know/



    NOTE ...

    Foreign online businesses that earn more than $60,000 per annum from Kiwi consumers will be required to collect GST at the point of sale. Where a business does not meet this threshold and your order is less than $1001, you won’t be required to pay GST.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

  7. #22
    Join Date
    15th October 2009 - 17:33
    Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    823
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post



    NOTE ...

    Foreign online businesses that earn more than $60,000 per annum from Kiwi consumers will be required to collect GST at the point of sale. Where a business does not meet this threshold and your order is less than $1001, you won’t be required to pay GST.
    Aha, that probably explains why the thing I ordered from an independent retailer arrived in a couple of weeks, while something else I ordered from Aliexpress seems to have disappeared into a black hole...
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

  8. #23
    Join Date
    2nd March 2018 - 15:32
    Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    906
    If you're bringing items to NZ from overseas that cost NZ$1000 or less you don't have to pay anything to Customs, as GST is collected when you purchase your items. There's nothing else that you must do for your items to arrive.

    If that doesn't happen, then it's not your responsibility. What are you meant to do, send a cheque for the GST somewhere?

    I just checked the FC-Moto website and they are not adding GST.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    25th January 2006 - 19:13
    Bike
    moped
    Location
    Kapiti Coast
    Posts
    601
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I've seen some pretty scary damage on the front of helmets. Can you imagine getting caught and dragged down chip seal on your face?
    Picked a little Japanese rider up one day, who had visited the tar seal wareing an Open Face, it was'nt pretty sight.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    2nd August 2008 - 08:57
    Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Location
    Morrinsville
    Posts
    2,418
    The GST thing is actually working better than I thought it would with businesses like Amazon, AliExpress, BangGood and GearBest all charging GST on items worth less than $1k. Shipito also charges GST, so I'd expect most freight forwarders are doing the same.

    Of course there will be some gaps, I don't see what the enzed gummit could do to have absolutely zero gaps! If I buy from a company that doesn't sell much to NZ then they may not be signed up to the deal where they collect tax for Auntie Cindy. Try buying something worth over $1k from China - they don't charge GST on anything over $1k, but what if they don't declare the value of the goods accurately? You could pay $3,500 for something from China (no GST on something of that value) but they send it to NZ with a declared value of $350 and a description like "spare parts" or "replacement case" or what the fuck ever - you can end up with goods that didn't cost you any GST. I would guess that customs saves a shit tonne of work by ignoring everything coming in with a declared value of under $1k (unless it is packed with drugs or whatever) and there will be some goods slipping through the gaps. Still, there are more things with GST collected on them then there used to be, so I guess the govt is ahead overall.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

  11. #26
    Join Date
    28th May 2006 - 19:35
    Bike
    suzuki
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    7,473
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    The GST thing is actually working better than I thought it would with businesses like Amazon, AliExpress, BangGood and GearBest all charging GST on items worth less than $1k. Shipito also charges GST, so I'd expect most freight forwarders are doing the same.

    Of course there will be some gaps, I don't see what the enzed gummit could do to have absolutely zero gaps! If I buy from a company that doesn't sell much to NZ then they may not be signed up to the deal where they collect tax for Auntie Cindy. Try buying something worth over $1k from China - they don't charge GST on anything over $1k, but what if they don't declare the value of the goods accurately? You could pay $3,500 for something from China (no GST on something of that value) but they send it to NZ with a declared value of $350 and a description like "spare parts" or "replacement case" or what the fuck ever - you can end up with goods that didn't cost you any GST. I would guess that customs saves a shit tonne of work by ignoring everything coming in with a declared value of under $1k (unless it is packed with drugs or whatever) and there will be some goods slipping through the gaps. Still, there are more things with GST collected on them then there used to be, so I guess the govt is ahead overall.
    when i use you shop they require a copy of an invoice filed before they'll go any further

  12. #27
    Join Date
    2nd August 2008 - 08:57
    Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Location
    Morrinsville
    Posts
    2,418
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    when i use you shop they require a copy of an invoice filed before they'll go any further
    With Shipito you fill in the value, it's up to you how honest you want to be . . .
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

  13. #28
    Join Date
    1st September 2007 - 21:01
    Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,816
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    The GST thing is actually working better than I thought it would with businesses like ...
    The Companies that "Agreed" charge GST brings up one question ... once it's collected after you pay the $$$ ... what do THEY do with it .. ??

    1. Forward it to OUR Government .. ??

    2. Forward it to their OWN Government .. ??

    3. Pocket the $$ .. ??

    4. Other .. ??
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

  14. #29
    Join Date
    25th March 2004 - 17:22
    Bike
    RZ496/Street Triple R/GasGas/ etc etc
    Location
    Wellington. . ok the hutt
    Posts
    18,498
    Quote Originally Posted by rustys View Post
    Picked a little Japanese rider up one day, who had visited the tar seal wareing an Open Face, it was'nt pretty sight.
    Yeah but at least he looked kool
    I've been told. Dreaming`s free.
    Think I'll go, back to sleep.
    Everybody listen, voices in my head
    Everybody listen, do yours say, what mine says?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •