Thread: GN 250 speedo drive assembly

Bike
    Suzuki 2006 GN 250

GN 250 speedo drive assembly

I ordered a new speedo drive assy for 2006 GN 250 old one was well farked. Side by side the new and old looked identical in every way.

When I reassembled everything and did the axle nut up the front wheel wouldn't turn freely it felt like the brake was partially on......but it wasn't. I stripped and assembled 4 x carefully checking I put back together same way but each time same thing. So I put the old assy back on and no probs.....wheel turned freely

I've read that there are possibly 2 types of assy 1 for drum front brakes and 1 for disk front brakes. My GN's disk front brake is it possible I've been sent an assy for drum front brake?

Anyone come across this?

Bike
    Walking
    Your sure you didn't just miss-align the plastic lugs on the drive as you fit it to the wheel hub? That would cause the issue you suggest.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha_NZ View Post
    I ordered a new speedo drive assy for 2006 GN 250 old one was well farked. Side by side the new and old looked identical in every way.

When I reassembled everything and did the axle nut up the front wheel wouldn't turn freely it felt like the brake was partially on......but it wasn't. I stripped and assembled 4 x carefully checking I put back together same way but each time same thing. So I put the old assy back on and no probs.....wheel turned freely

I've read that there are possibly 2 types of assy 1 for drum front brakes and 1 for disk front brakes. My GN's disk front brake is it possible I've been sent an assy for drum front brake?

Anyone come across this?
    a simple part number check would enlighten you

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries

Anyone come across this?
    You missed the basic engineering point.

You purchased a NEW Speedometer DRIVE assembly. The drive components are attached to the front wheel. As the Speedometer DRIVE assembly is attached to front wheel (which DOES revolve) ... but the Speedometer drive assembly DOES NOT revolve ... as it is attached to the HUB portion of the front wheel assembly ... that does NOT revolve.

As such ... there is some degree of resistance with the wheel spinning ... to drive to spin the speedometer cable and work the speedometer.

There was NO resistance with the OLD drive unit ... AS IT WAS FUCKED.

The resistance may lessen as time goes on ... as the grease and internal components age with wear.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    ... When I reassembled everything and did the axle nut up the front wheel wouldn't turn freely it felt like the brake was partially on......but it wasn't. I stripped and assembled 4 x carefully checking I put back together same way but each time same thing. So I put the old assy back on and no probs.....wheel turned freely
    There are a few other things you might like to check.

1. Disconnect the speedo cable from the Speedometer. Then Spin the wheel. Is the resistance still there .. ?? or less .. ?? Or nothing .. ??

2. Remove the speedo cable entirely. Is there any resistance when you spin the wheel .. ??

If the same amount of resistance is still there after (1) then the likelihood is it"s the Cable that is the issue.

If the same resistance is still there after (2) then the issue is in the drive.

I'm guessing the cable is the issue. And possibly the cause of the demise of the drive.

In all my years of motorcycling ... I have never replaced the drive assembly on the hub of any motorcycle I've owned. Quite a few cables ... but never the drive.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    A new drive won't have that much resistance. Can you turn it by hand or with the cable fitted?

Try fit the drive to the wheel off the bike with axle fitted. And the old one. Does it sit the same distance out? Measure. Do the tabs that slot into the hub sit in the same place? These tabs are often bent by installing the wheel when they are not aligned with the wheel slots.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information