Thread: What the hell-met?

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries

What the hell-met?

Anyone else read this article? Maybe the Motorcycle Safety Advisory Council should be looking into this “unfortunate” situation?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/125...-priests-death

His death prompted chief coroner Anna Tutton to remind motorcyclists of the importance of having a correctly fitted and safety approved helmet that could not come loose in the event of a fall.

Senior Constable John Isitt, of the police serious crash unit, told the coroner a high proportion of helmets came off riders’ heads during crashes.

“It appears that it is often the second impact with the road surface that causes the fatal head injuries,” he said.

The coroner sought statistics on helmet failures, but was told they could not be obtained because it was not considered to be a factor that caused crashes – a situation she described as unfortunate.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)

unfortunate

Helmet fitment isn't really a thing that enough people seem concerned about. I've seen videos of accidents where the helmet flies off so it must happen a fair amount of the time.

It's easy to pick a helmet and take it to the counter and never have anyone check your helmet fitment isn't too big.

Bike
    2019 Triumph Bobber
    I always remember in one bike shop I went to (sadly closed up long ago) when I was trying a helmet on and I asked one of the salesmen whether I should have this helmet or the next one down that felt too snug at the time. He told me to put the helmet on, which I did. He then grabbed the sides of it then told me to move my head. The fact that I could while he was holding the helmet steady suggested to him that it was too big.

Something I remember when looking for a replacement. I guess the strap needs to be done up tightly as well. Any risk of the 'quick release' mechanisms failing in the accident as well?

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    So yeah I read that too and asked the Google question.

Turns out European study shows 9% or so helmets come off. 2/3 of those the strap wasn't done up, so geez guys. I mean some will forget occasionally, but the sort of person who regularly doesnt do it up, I'll editorialise, probably isn't the most careful.
    Only 900 total in study but enough to draw some trends.

Another showed that 71% of people had helmet the wrong size!?!,

Sheesh!

I was told, put on a helmet do the strap up and try slide the helmet off from the back. I dont really do that anymore but I learnt what was too loose.

So is your helmet too loose?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post

I was told, put on a helmet do the strap up and try slide the helmet off from the back. I dont really do that anymore but I learnt what was too loose.

So is your helmet too loose?
    i beleive helmets should be fitted without the strap done up at all,

I suggested the ride forever crew ensure all staff at motorcycle shops know how to fit a helmet correctly, even if someone does come to the counter they can suggest they give a second opinion on fitting too

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Having read the summary of those studies, I heartily agree. Seems like a low hanging fruit.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    I suggested the ride forever crew ensure all staff at motorcycle shops know how to fit a helmet correctly, even if someone does come to the counter they can suggest they give a second opinion on fitting too
    On any weekend ... hang about at any favorite cafe/pub frequented by Bikers ... and watch their helmet fitting process. More than a few have cut the straps off.

I'm guessing a few reading this don't believe me. So make a point OF WATCHING ... the results may surprise you.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries

Bike
    A
    Kinda begs the question, is motorcycling inherently dangerous? Personally I don't think so, but here's what I see on a routine basis...

Helmet too big for riders' head, helmet strap not done up properly, dirty visor, helmet old and should have been replaced years ago, gloves without wrist straps, tyre pressures way too low, tyres old and cracked, riding habits akin to russian roulette, footwear not suited to motorcycling, clothing not suited to motorcycling, poor maintenance on motorcycles...let's stop there

Seems trying to do the right thing is lost on a good portion of the rider community

Sure there's a fair portion who want to keep improving their skills, and I'll help anyone who wants to work on things related to motorcycling, just a shame it appears this group is a minority for the time being

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Helmet too big for riders' head, helmet strap not done up properly, dirty visor, helmet old and should have been replaced years ago, gloves without wrist straps, tyre pressures way too low, tyres old and cracked, riding habits akin to russian roulette, footwear not suited to motorcycling, clothing not suited to motorcycling, poor maintenance on motorcycles...let's stop there
    Yeah, but apart from all that, how was the Brass Monkey?

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Yeah, but apart from all that, how was the Brass Monkey?
    You forgot no gloves!

I see people all the time, flash jacket, flash bike, flash helmet etc and no gloves....I hope they have some good friends that will help with some daily tasks!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    That's the one I don't understand , probably oh it's a short trip

I've swollen the back of my hand up in comparatively low speed racing tumble as the padding on the knuckles was a bit 1990s. I'd hate to think of the same with no gloves. Let alone bare fingers on chipseal

Just saw dude go past with flipface helmet in open position. That can't make for a simple tumble with an appendage sticking out of your helmet.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    You forgot no gloves!

I see people all the time, flash jacket, flash bike, flash helmet etc and no gloves....I hope they have some good friends that will help with some daily tasks!
    Each to their own. But the guy I saw a few months back wearing only a tee-shirt, shorts and a high-vis jacket, did make me shake my head. I can only assume that he'd just knocked off work somewhere where a high-vis jacket was mandatory, as it did seem out of place with the rest of his riding attire.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    The Arai I bought in NZ was sold to me by a young lady who had a framed certificate saying she was Arai trained. She asked intelligent questions and I believe she had other cheek pieces etc available although the helmet was a good fit so no adjustment was needed.

It's possible the physics involved might remove helmets, tight gloves and boots come off in accidents and can be seen flying though the air in some video clips.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information