Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heated handgrips affecting smooth running

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Sounds like a faulty controller or something's miswired.

There will be either resistance or duty cycle control for the heat setting, sounds a bit like something is shorting the supply to ground on the lower heat settings if it has less effect when fully on.

What make of grips, maybe a wiring diagram on the interwebs that could illuminate further.....
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Read post 9 then post 4.
    Funny. I printed both those posts out last week to wave under the mechanic's nose when he services my bike next week.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    So my handgrips have four settings as normal, from 'slightly warm' through to 'f**k that's hot'. When engaging the handgrips and losing power you'd think that the higher the setting, the more power you'd lose. But NO! The opposite is true. The lowest heat setting of the four has the greatest effect on the idle speed and the higher up the scale you go, the less impact there is on idle speed. So using setting 'slightly warm', it'll idle like a bag of arseholes until it stalls in short order but in moving the steps up to the top 'f**k thats hot' setting, the idle speed gets incrimentally better. Any ideas?
    The higher the rpm engine is spinning at ... the higher the charging rate.

On some small motorbikes and scooters ... the headlight dim at idle. At low rpm ... there might not be enough power supplied to provide sufficient spark AND power the heated grips. The heated grips may take their requirements first. So basically ... a power supply/demand issue.

Possibly/probably ... a charging issue with the machine you're using. Especially if the other bikes that your workmates are using ... do not have this issue.

On smaller engines ... minor issues have a major impact on the performance result.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Yep. Bikes and grips are identical in all respects. It is a small bike but it does have 12v electrics.
    . . . . . .
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Yep. But I think I need to hold the mechanic's hand a bit with this one so might need more specifics. Then I might as well do his job for him.
    The first thing to ask is ... are all the other bikes wired up the same way .. ?? I think I can recall you stating that ... on some of the other bikes ... there aren't any heated grip issues.

If this is the case (with the bikes wired up the same way) ... get the mechanic to check it's charging capability (As mentioned in my last post).
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information