Thread: Another re-vinning question

Bike
    Indiumph, Indian

Another re-vinning question

Hi all, I have an Army Indian I'm restoring, 2 questions that may have answers.
    1; The bike was last registered in 1972, but I have lost the papers and number plate, I believe that as the frame number is entered on the rego details, would NZTA be able to search for the original rego?
    If that doesn't fly, I have another option.
    2; I registered a bike in 1981, an Indian frame with a Triumph motor in it, the MoT officer put the make down as Triumph, the Indian frame number is on the papers and I have the plate and WoF from it. Would it be able to be re-registered with the Indian motor back in?
    Cheers.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whenu View Post
    Hi all, I have an Army Indian I'm restoring, 2 questions that may have answers.
    1; The bike was last registered in 1972, but I have lost the papers and number plate, I believe that as the frame number is entered on the rego details, would NZTA be able to search for the original rego?
    If that doesn't fly, I have another option.
    2; I registered a bike in 1981, an Indian frame with a Triumph motor in it, the MoT officer put the make down as Triumph, the Indian frame number is on the papers and I have the plate and WoF from it. Would it be able to be re-registered with the Indian motor back in?
    Cheers.
    1. Probably not. Before the Computer era. Being in the records is one thing ... finding someone who knows where to look (and can be bothered looking) is another thing entirely.

2. Possibly. But why don't you look on the frame for the number .. ?? As above regarding the records.

But I'd say that the process will require more than a "Simple" re-vinning ... more like low volume vehicle certification will be required. Be prepared to jump through a few hoops ...

Go visit an NZTA testing station and ask questions. Answers from the horses mouth (so to speak) might be more reliable/up to date ... than on here.

Maybe contacting a Vintage/Veteran Motor vehicle club might provide some answers.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Indiumph, Indian
    Thanks FJ, the frame number on the 2nd option is on the papers for bike 2, along with the Triumph eng numbers.
    Will see about a visit to a NZTA centre sometime.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    If the bike is std, you should be able to do a brake cert and get a JP to do a statutory dec to register the bike. Be aware that it may need a vin attached for this process or is that what you are trying to avoid?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Indiumph, Indian
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    If the bike is std, you should be able to do a brake cert and get a JP to do a statutory dec to register the bike. Be aware that it may need a vin attached for this process or is that what you are trying to avoid?
    Bike is standard, hoping to get away without a vin.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Yep fair enough too for an old classic.
    there was a guy called Robert at VTNZ in whangarei who does compliancing and he is a vintage bike owner and enthusiast. He might be worth talking to if you are in that area...
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Indiumph, Indian
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Yep fair enough too for an old classic.
    there was a guy called Robert at VTNZ in whangarei who does compliancing and he is a vintage bike owner and enthusiast. He might be worth talking to if you are in that area...
    Think that's the nearest one, worth a ride down anyway.

Thread Information