Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Close call....

Bike
    GSXR1000
    As long as we are looking out for ourselves rather than relying on others then we're doing the right thing. Just with different approaches.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Is the "I've been doing it for years with no issues ... what's the problem .. ??" attitude ... the correct way to look at it as well .. ??
    Not sure why you are asking that, but the obvious answer is no. And yes. Depending on accurate analysis of all factors.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    ... And yes. Depending on accurate analysis of all factors.
    I guess ... when your ass is sliding across the road ... it might be safe to say ... that your analysis of the situation wasn't that accurate (or complete).

Bugger eh .. !!!
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    GSXR1000
    I guess ... when your ass is sliding across the road ... it might be safe to say ... that your analysis of the situation wasn't that accurate (or complete).

Bugger eh .. !!!
    Maintaining situational awareness reduces that. I just choose to do it by considering people haven't seen me rather than thinking everyone is out to kill me.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Maintaining situational awareness reduces that. I just choose to do it by considering people haven't seen me rather than thinking everyone is out to kill me.
    When people pull out in front of me ... giving me the finger (as some actually have) ... I think it would be safe to say there was NO doubt they DID see me.

When they are cocooned in their car ... they may not see me as great a threat to them ... as I see them to me.

The seemingly cynical attitude means I'm expecting issues to avoid. Reaction times are quicker if you were expecting trouble ... when it happens.

The TV advertisements (the ... my car, my rules one specifically) shows the issue is widespread. And the issue is about more than just speed. It's simply a lack of consideration for other road users ... an attitude which is becoming more and more widespread on NZ roads.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Cool. Enjoy your ride.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    ... my car my rules...
    The woke lefties that made that add and other crap safety adds stuffed that one up. The correct line would have been "hey stop here I want to get out and walk".
    And every my car my rules driver would be sweet with that... ok gtfo then
    Same with the V8 fella he always hoofs it ad, those workers would all be liable under OSH for failing to report and correct his driving and letting the new guy ride with him.
    And then there's the fake cop who says he's never seen anyone crash well, hilarious when it plays during motorway patrol and the narrator says amazingly everyone steps out uninjured !!

Just imagine the real lives saved if the money wasted on these scratchy and scratch extravaganzas was spent sweeping up loose gravel.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    my 2c (I used to Filter everyday on that stretch of road - for nearly 4 years I think)

Whilst I disagree with everyone else on the use of Hazards (I always used mine when filtering - if the Law would allow me to add a Siren and giant rotating flashing light, I'd have had those on too)

And the Speed difference looks about what I'd typically do.

This is one of those times where it's 'if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen' - Yes, it's a dumb fuck move by the Ute, but when you Filter - that's the tradeoff you are making.

It would be nice to have the Law clarify filtering, however with the current Police/Government combination - I'd rather they leave it in the Grey Area than inevitably Fuck it up.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    nightrod
    If you can’t stand the heat…

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    my 2c (I used to Filter everyday on that stretch of road - for nearly 4 years I think)
    As usual ... you have placed a overly high value on your own opinion ...

Whilst I disagree with everyone else on the use of Hazards (I always used mine when filtering - if the Law would allow me to add a Siren and giant rotating flashing light, I'd have had those on too)
    as above ...

And the Speed difference looks about what I'd typically do.
    as above ...

This is one of those times where it's 'if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen' - Yes, it's a dumb fuck move by the Ute, but when you Filter - that's the tradeoff you are making.
    When jail time is considered a "Hazard of the job" by many in the various criminal activities ... but it's really just another tradeoff ... Another tradeoff is sometimes making contact with the vehicle you are overtaking ...

It would be nice to have the Law clarify filtering, however with the current Police/Government combination - I'd rather they leave it in the Grey Area than inevitably Fuck it up.
    For "Clarification" purposes ...

https://www.rideforever.co.nz/assets...fosheet-FA.pdf

Note: 2.8 Passing on left
    (1) A driver must not pass or attempt to pass on the left of another vehicle moving in the same direction except in accordance with this clause.

(2)In any case in which the movement referred to sub clause (1) may be made,

(a)the 2 vehicles must be in different lanes; or

(b) the overtaken vehicle must be stationary or its driver must have given or be giving the prescribed signal of that driver’s intention to turn right;

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Perhaps he was confused by a bike coming up behind him with its hazard lights on so turned to look over his shoulder to see what it was towing?
    Confusion ... if the ute driver could only see the right indicator flashing on the motorcycle in his mirrors ... and then moved to the left to give him room ...

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    As usual ... you have placed a overly high value on your own opinion ...

as above ...

as above ...
    Sure, but I ask how many times you've been filtering along that exact bit of road? Every weekday, come Wind, Rain or Shine for 5-6 years for me - I dare say I'm quite familiar

When jail time is considered a "Hazard of the job" by many in the various criminal activities ... but it's really just another tradeoff ... Another tradeoff is sometimes making contact with the vehicle you are overtaking ...
    I've had a fair few brown-stain moments on that very bit of road (probably the worst was someone opening the car Door. Car doors suddenly become very large and intimidating when they appear suddenly in your path.

Furious at the time, but that's life when you are filtering.

For "Clarification" purposes ...

https://www.rideforever.co.nz/assets...fosheet-FA.pdf

Note: 2.8 Passing on left
    (1) A driver must not pass or attempt to pass on the left of another vehicle moving in the same direction except in accordance with this clause.

(2)In any case in which the movement referred to sub clause (1) may be made,

(a)the 2 vehicles must be in different lanes; or

(b) the overtaken vehicle must be stationary or its driver must have given or be giving the prescribed signal of that driver’s intention to turn right;
    I'm aware of what the law is and that filtering is technically enabled by that (and the other bit about passing stationary 'parked' vehicles) however - just because it falls into a liberal reading of the current legislation, along with an acceptance by the Blue Hat Brigade of 'So long as you aren't doing it like a Twat, we'll turn a blind eye' - this is different from an explicitly allowed Filtering law (which in principle I'd be in favor of, I just don't trust the Government not to fuck it up).

The most common gripe for me is that when Filtering - the practical reality is that most drivers hug the right-hand side of the lane, thus the most 'Space' is in the left-hand side of the lane - which as you've rightly pointed out is illegal, but often is ignored so long as the rider isn't riding like a Twat. What it does mean however is should something happen, the law will side with the driver who likely caused the crash by not having appropriate situational awareness.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Sure, but I ask how many times you've been filtering along that exact bit of road? Every weekday, come Wind, Rain or Shine for 5-6 years for me - I dare say I'm quite familiar
    As stated in every post I make ... My Location is Paradise. And it's a long way from Auckland ...

Will your 2 cents worth ... prove to be the value you place on your own life .. ??

I've had a fair few brown-stain moments on that very bit of road (probably the worst was someone opening the car Door. Car doors suddenly become very large and intimidating when they appear suddenly in your path.

Furious at the time, but that's life when you are filtering.
    Tell me again how perfectly safe it is again ...

I'm aware of what the law is and that filtering is technically enabled by that (and the other bit about passing stationary 'parked' vehicles) however - just because it falls into a liberal reading of the current legislation, along with an acceptance by the Blue Hat Brigade of 'So long as you aren't doing it like a Twat, we'll turn a blind eye' - this is different from an explicitly allowed Filtering law (which in principle I'd be in favor of, I just don't trust the Government not to fuck it up).
    It would be generally ignored ... as it would put them and you at more risk trying to stop you and issuing you an infringement notice.

So ... you are holding out for a law to be introduced ... to legally allow something that is currently illegal on NZ roads ... ??

The most common gripe for me is that when Filtering - the practical reality is that most drivers hug the right-hand side of the lane, thus the most 'Space' is in the left-hand side of the lane - which as you've rightly pointed out is illegal, but often is ignored so long as the rider isn't riding like a Twat. What it does mean however is should something happen, the law will side with the driver who likely caused the crash by not having appropriate situational awareness.
    Riding like a Twat ... is that riding in a manner deemed illegal in law ... or just in some way ... unsafer than the way you do it .. ??

If "not having appropriate situational awareness" means he didn't see you ... or didn't look for you ... perhaps it might be you not making yourself be seen. And as you admit ... as some of your actions on the motorway are currently illegal ... the Police will continue to side with the car drivers. Unless THEIR actions were seen to be illegal.

It HAS happened ...

Thread Information