Thread: GN250 not starting

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GN250

GN250 not starting

Hi all,

Hopefully this is the right place to post this as I've literally just joined this forum.

Bought a GN250 as my first bike and having a few challenges with it - as I got it from a dealer I do have a warranty but just need to make sure I am doing things right. When I got it they explained about the choke and having done Urban Commuter I have a fairly rudimentary idea of what I'm doing. Here's a few things that I'm curious about.

1. Last weekend when I started it with the choke, it cut out after about two minutes. I'm assuming that was the point the fuel mix was too rich as it was idling at that point and not enough oxygen getting into the engine. Is this likely the case? I then restarted and rode around for an hour or so.

2. This morning when I started it up, I had the choke in for about 30 seconds before it cut off again. Again its warmer this weekend so I figured the fuel mix was too high. However when pushed the choke in and tried to restart the engine it wouldn't take at all. In fact now it won't even turn over.

In my idiotic efforts to try and start the bike, I have a feeling I have drained the battery as well. Because now the starter will only run for about two seconds before giving it up.

I've checked the normal things like ensuring there is fuel in the tank, the petcock is in the right position (I'm assuming up is on and not reserve - this is what it was when I got it delivered)

Thankfully i have roadside assistance, and I've booked them in for next Saturday (not available to go out riding in the next few days) on the assumption that I've killed the battery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210711_082249.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	508.9 KB 
ID:	349347

Bike
    Aprilia RSV Mille & Aprilia Tuono 660
    Battery probably needs charging.
    Can you jump start it ?

And google GN 250 owners manual.
    RSV Mille: No madam, its an Aprilia, not a Harley. If it were a Harley, I would be pushing it !

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GN250
    Thanks, I actually ended up buying a new battery (in my life I've had five second hand vehicles and in every case the battery has usually had to be replaced within two months - I just have terrible luck).

Haven't tried to jump start, unfortunately (or fortunately?) I have no hills nearby and given I'm still a newb I'm not confident I could jump start it.

Still no dice, the starter motor tries its best but the engine still doesn't start. After five seconds holding down the ignition button I get like a really quiet backfire

I did try and find a manual but don't seem to be any around at all?

It's under a warranty with the dealer so the next step is to call them tomorrow and see what options there are.

Also I double posted (other one is here) which has more info because I didn't get a chance to see the first message was in a mod queue before it moved away from the page.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Thread Information