Thread: New rider not mechanically inclined

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GN250

New rider not mechanically inclined

Hi all,

I tried to post this in another forum this morning but it didn't seem to take.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I bought a second hand GN250 from an Auckland dealer and had it delivered as I still wasn't confident riding on the road. I did an urban commuter and while I have confidence, last weekend I went out for 90 minutes and stalled my way around for a bit. I'm still getting used to the clutch. This weekend I had set aside the entire Sunday to spend practising to get to a point of being comfortable on the road. However, this is where my problem is.

I tried to start the bike this morning and initially it started with the choke engaged, but after around 30 seconds of idling the engine died entirely. I figured it was just too rich a mix and disengaged the choke. Since then the engine won't start at all.

I bought a new battery because I have this thing with batteries and second hand vehicles - I won't get into the details of what this is, I'm happy spending the money on the battery. However I still can't get the engine to fire.

Now the starter motor whirs and after around 5 seconds there is a small bang from the engine (almost like a backfire) and it is trying to start.

I've done all the obvious pre ride checks like, fuel, checking the choke is in the right place, in the right gear etc.

is there anything else anyone is aware of that could be causing an issue?

I will be ringing the dealer tomorrow because it still is under warranty and I'm hoping it is more a failure of a part than me breaking it.

Also, I have looked at the petcock and to ensure that it is in the right slot and haven't been able to for the life of me find anything which indicates what the different icons are, most images online are text. When it was delivered to me it was in Position 1.

Petcock Position 1
    Petcock Position 2
    Petcock Position 3

EDIT: I accidentally double posted because I didn't see the message from the my first attempt and assumed it hadn't been processed. Apologies for any confusion.

Bike
    A
    The fuel valve I can help you with. Pointing down is the run position when you've got enough fuel in tank. Pointing up is reserve, for when the bike coughs and splutters, just means you're down to the last few litres and gotta find a servo soon. Horizontal is the off position.

If the engine is cold, pull choke out fully and start with throttle closed. As the engine warms up, you should be able to close choke partly and ride off. Within a minute or so, you'll have enough heat in engine to close choke.

Check your kill switch position, as the engine will crank on the starter but won't fire.

The GN250 is a basic bike, yes I've owned one myself. Simple maintenance will see you thru the learning curve

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GN250
    Thanks!

So at the moment if it is in position one (arrow pointing up), so I need to change it so the arrow is pointing down?

Last week when I started it the engine died after a minute with the choke out - but that was after the engine warmed up. This morning it just died after 30 seconds.

Checked the engine kill switch, starter motor does its thing, the engine just didn't fire.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by voy1d View Post
    Thanks!

So at the moment if it is in position one (arrow pointing up), so I need to change it so the arrow is pointing down?

Last week when I started it the engine died after a minute with the choke out - but that was after the engine warmed up. This morning it just died after 30 seconds.

Checked the engine kill switch, starter motor does its thing, the engine just didn't fire.
    1. How much fuel is in the tank .. ?? If you do not know ... Put some in. Fill it if you intend to ride it.

2. The main "handle" of the fuel tap is usually pointing down. The tip is pointing to a fuel position as stated on the face of the tap. Image attached shows the tap on reserve. This tap may (or may not) be the same as yours. Compare your fuel tap with the one shown.

3. Confirm kill switch is on the Run position.

The easy way to check if fuel is flowing is pull the fuel hose off the tap.

Just guessing ... but I think ...

Position 1 is reserve. Position 2 is off. Position 3 is on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel tap.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	349355  
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GN250
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    The fuel valve I can help you with. Pointing down is the run position when you've got enough fuel in tank. Pointing up is reserve, for when the bike coughs and splutters, just means you're down to the last few litres and gotta find a servo soon. Horizontal is the off position.

If the engine is cold, pull choke out fully and start with throttle closed. As the engine warms up, you should be able to close choke partly and ride off. Within a minute or so, you'll have enough heat in engine to close choke.

Check your kill switch position, as the engine will crank on the starter but won't fire.

The GN250 is a basic bike, yes I've owned one myself. Simple maintenance will see you thru the learning curve
    Turns out the fuel jets in the carb were all clogged up

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by voy1d View Post
    Turns out the fuel jets in the carb were all clogged up
    That seldom helps matters much ... spending money on a service and check will never be a waste of money.

Quite the opposite ... it may save you a lot of hassle ... and $$$ getting issues sorted ... before they become big issues.

Thank you for letting us know how you've got on ....
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information