Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honourable and dishonorable Manufacturers- Husqvarna fail

Bike
    Indian Scout

Honourable and dishonorable Manufacturers- Husqvarna fail

I have often praised Triumph for acknowledging when something is wrong and fixing it asap. Many manufacturers are quick to do recalls and at times you might think, piss poor quality but as some annoying Wellingtonian retailer once said- its the putting right that counts.

I have had many bikes requiring a recall. Pop into shop, replace- leave happy and confident the bike will not fail you.

Which brings me to Husqvarna. I love this Svartpilen 701 and don't want to part with it. BUT, BUT, BUT, disappointed is putting it mildly in how I would describe their attitude to 'putting it right' So they grabbed the KTM 695cc single motor and made a dirt bike supermoto thingy and then the road Vitpilen and Svartpilen. But the Swedish dickheads took the century long proven, lasts for decades, no maintenance, two simple parts 'cable' operated clutch and over complicated it and added weight and multiple delicate and more expensive parts and high pressure fluids to do what the bloody simple cable did perfectly at 5% the cost of hydraulic. So from about 2017 onwards the rubber seal inside the clutch slave cylinder collapses in a screaming heap and all the fluid goes instantly into the engine bay. Rider stranded.

This happened to me in January. Lucky me the Svartpilen has an up/down QS so I was able to get home with difficulty getting through red lights and controlled intersections when stopping would mean a push/crash start to get mobile again. The shop were great, got me covered by warranty even though it had expired. I was warned that rumours were Husqvarna just keep sending out the same failing part, year after year. No, no, no way says me, I trust honourable bike manufacturers to do the right thing. Turns out my faith was misplaced. Yesterday I get called to get my Covid jab, ride 40 km into town for a small annoying prick. Walk out side, fire up bike and experience an annoying big prick. Pulled on the clutch lever and instantly knew that feeling of the fluid vanishing into the sump. Five bloody attempts to get the bike rolling enough to slam it into 1st and get home. Had 6 sets of traffic lights to creep through.

My anger when I got home was 'sell the fucking pile of Swedish shit', maybe just trade it in 'as fucking is' on the Indian Scout I have on order. A beer, another beer. Calmed down. I love this bike it's crazy fun. So I goggle owners forums. Fuck me!. Year after year of Riders complaining of failed clutch slave cylinder seal. Some Riders that have had THREE fail in short succession. Many new owners only got a few kms from the dealership showroom and...stranded

Let me be clear this is no moan at the Dealerships or the bike itself. The Distributors/importers worldwide SHOULD have been screaming at Husqvarna to sort a 5c rubber seal for fucks sake after more than 4 years of being aware of the problem. Rumours are thousands have failed worldwide across multiple model ranges with that same stupid OEM hydraulic clutch ..and been replaced with the same bloody failing OEM part. That's what pisses me off.

Good news is the Owners forum is full of advice to replace it with an aftermarket Oberon brand slave which does not fail. I ordered one today from the Australian based distributor $218 to my door.

Dear Mr Husqvarna. You should be ashamed of yourself, you are a wanker.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Bloody brilliant write up and some entertaining even if at your expense.

Agreed, just shit house service from the OEM pricks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Brake hydraulics are well proven, cups and seals last for years, often without any sort of maintenance. Why do motorcycle hydraulic clutches use mineral oil (some of them, anyway) and whatever they make the seals out of, to no obvious advantage, when there is years of automotive experience available?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post

Which brings me to Husqvarna. I love this Svartpilen 701 and don't want to part with it. BUT, BUT, BUT, disappointed is putting it mildly in how I would describe their attitude to 'putting it right' So they grabbed the KTM 695cc single motor and made a dirt bike supermoto thingy and then the road Vitpilen and Svartpilen. But the Swedish dickheads t
    Husky have not been swedish for years and years it was sold to Cagiva in the mid 80's (which is why Husaberg was started as the designers didn't want to shift to Italy)
    Husky was then sold to first BMW and then KTM a decade and a half ago.
    So The dickhead would be Austrian.......
    The same ones are fucking the Husaberg motorcycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Husky have not been swedish for years and years it was sold to Cagiva in the mid 80's (which is why Husaberg was started as the designers didn't want to shift to Italy)
    Husky was then sold to first BMW and then KTM a decade and a half ago.
    So The dickhead would be Austrian.......
    The same ones are fucking the Husaberg motorcycles
    Thanks but I'm aware of the ownership history. Irrespective I blame the dickhead Swedish designers/developers for their dipshit idea to change a perfectly good cable operation to hydraulic clutch for absolutely no improvement or benefit- apart from added cost and complexity and risk of failure. Fucking pointless exercise. Husqvarna claimed ownership of the models they wanted us to buy and they should provide a quality product and own up to a cock up and fix it. I mean we are talking about a 5 to 10 cent part. KTM are equally at fault for not kicking the Swedish dickheads arses for soiling their [questionable] Austrian reputation.

I love cable operation. You want to do awesome long wheelies- get on a pre-wire throttle bike and enjoy true rider-throttle-engine control. Ride-by-wire has ruined wheelies.

You want some cool Husqvarna history it goes back to the 1600s when the King declared a foundry be build in the town of Huskvarna to make these new fangled firearms his neighbours were starting to trial. Guns, sewing machines, gardening tools and motorcycles. What more does anyone need?

Bike
    husaberg
    Thanks but I'm aware of the ownership history. Irrespective I blame the dickhead Swedish designers/developers for their dipshit idea to change a perfectly good cable operation to hydraulic clutch for absolutely no improvement or benefit- apart from added cost and complexity and risk of failure. Fucking pointless exercise. Husqvarna claimed ownership of the models they wanted us to buy and they should provide a quality product and own up to a cock up and fix it. I mean we are talking about a 5 to 10 cent part. KTM are equally at fault for not kicking the Swedish dickheads arses for soiling their [questionable] Austrian reputation.

I love cable operation. You want to do awesome long wheelies- get on a pre-wire throttle bike and enjoy true rider-throttle-engine control. Ride-by-wire has ruined wheelies.

You want some cool Husqvarna history it goes back to the 1600s when the King declared a foundry be build in the town of Huskvarna to make these new fangled firearms his neighbours were starting to trial. Guns, sewing machines, gardening tools and motorcycles. What more does anyone need?
    As far as i know the 701 parts are KTM designed and made. The model dates post the ownership to KTM. If you are going to go all nationalistic given the years between the move to italy the designers forefathers were more likely fighting for the axis than soaking in hotubs
    AFAIK Husaberg and Husky had hydraulic clutch's as they were easier to use, the same reason most cars ended up with them. simple leverage, we also have hydraulic diggers rather than draglines. Hydraulic rather than cable brakes
    i feel for you having issues, as it seem that model has issues,but my 20 year old Husaberg never gives clutch issues with its Swedish designed system using german made Megura hydraulic clutch slaves and masters.
    I had to look up where Megura was from i thought it was Italy
    It looks like the slave cylinder at least on your bike is also likely German
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    It was on the good
    So I goggle owners forums. Fuck me!. Year after year of Riders complaining of failed clutch slave cylinder seal. Some Riders that have had THREE fail in short procession. Many new owners only got a few kms from the dealership showroom and...stranded.
    Sounds somewhat familiar. Didn't manage to get home on first ride on my new KTM690, which is where your engine comes from. 50km and the slave went. Went on to the ADVR forum and found the same as you, scores of people with the same issue with the same part. KTM must have known about this for years and must have knowingly fitted a part to my bike that was known to fail. All confidence in the brand was shot.

Dealer was great, no issues there at all, but who knows what else KTM put on the bike knowing it could fail at any time and leave me stranded?

There are things about this bike that are great but as the most expensive bike I have bought I was just so incredibly disappointed to find KTM have not upgraded this part over the years knowing it was prone to fail. I am sure it was the accountants who decided that was the way forward when to be honest there should have been a recall.

There are a number of aftermarket replacements but I understand the 2021 OEM slave cylinder has the problem fixed.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Totally agree Husaberg that a good hydraulic system works fine and with ease. Just to me cables on my dirt bikes were 'almost' unbreakable and cheap and easy to replace if anything did happened. And you are right it is KTMs responsibility ultimately as it it their source parts. There is chatter on the Vitpilen forum of the OEM master cylinder Magura brand failing a lot on KTMs as well. Better not be the brake master-shit that's totally life endangering.

I look at my Korean car in comparison and the incredible quality with zero failure or aging of anything. My previous old Hyundai Sonata had done 265,000km when I sold it- and it was still going perfectly and looked like it had just rolled off the factory floor, brilliant exterior paint quality. Replaced it with a Kia for that same Korean high standard continues (sister companies I believe). That's what today's standard of manufacture is capable of and the Europeans need to step up!

Bike
    Sold
    Sorry to hear of your woes MD. There's absolutely no excuse for any company not to have continuous improvement systems in place. It would be easier to walk away from something which is a complete pile of poo but as you allude to, your bike also happens to give enormous pleasure when it's going ok. That "X factor" complicates things eh? Pretty much the same with my Duke 790. I've had a couple of niggles including warped front rotors and yet of all the bikes I've owned, it makes me laugh the most each time I throw a leg over it. KTM's get bad press in the US, maybe due to a lot of dealerships not dealing with this issues in a professional manner. However, Boyds were really on the ball with my disc rotor problem and so were KTM NZ. All the best with your modification and hope it lets you love the bike once again.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Sorry to hear of your woes MD. There's absolutely no excuse for any company not to have continuous improvement systems in place. It would be easier to walk away from something which is a complete pile of poo but as you allude to, your bike also happens to give enormous pleasure when it's going ok. That "X factor" complicates things eh? Pretty much the same with my Duke 790. I've had a couple of niggles including warped front rotors and yet of all the bikes I've owned, it makes me laugh the most each time I throw a leg over it. KTM's get bad press in the US, maybe due to a lot of dealerships not dealing with this issues in a professional manner. However, Boyds were really on the ball with my disc rotor problem and so were KTM NZ. All the best with your modification and hope it lets you love the bike once again.
    Good to hear from you Blackbird. In my moment of anger I went online to see what scratcher bike I could swap to..KTM790 Duke was my first and favourite choice. Not the 890 which seems too race orientated for me. I have borrowed a 790 Duke from TSS and it was FUN. In the end I do love riding the 701 and it's draws curious and positive comments every time it's parked up. I think the big single is the wow factor for me, such and unusual sensation.

Bike
    Sold
    Good to hear from you Blackbird. In my moment of anger I went online to see what scratcher bike I could swap to..KTM790 Duke was my first and favourite choice. Not the 890 which seems too race orientated for me. I have borrowed a 790 Duke from TSS and it was FUN. In the end I do love riding the 701 and it's draws curious and positive comments every time it's parked up. I think the big single is the wow factor for me, such and unusual sensation.
    A close friend of mine who lives in Whitby, not a million miles from you, has the 701 among his fleet and he adores it. He's also got lime green motard wheels for normal road work and a different set for adventure riding - a versatile machine! I guess there's no such thing as a perfect bike. My Blackbird was great for where I used to live and the long distance rides I did at the time, not so good when we moved to Coromandel. Electrics were sometimes problematic. The Street Triple was great. Reliable, handled and had the elusive emotional appeal. The GSX-S 1000 was a competent bike but had zero emotional appeal in my case. So many choices, so little time eh? Enjoy your Indian too! As I'm moving towards the end of my motorcycling days, I'm hoping that the 1972 MGB GT we recently bought will be a fun substitute for a few years

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Guns, sewing machines, gardening tools and motorcycles. What more does anyone need?
    Chainsaws? They have long been a quality manufacturer of rifles. There was a Hawera local married a Swedish lady and established contacts there. He was importing used Husqvarna and Garl Gustaf rifles for some years.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    A close friend of mine who lives in Whitby, not a million miles from you, has the 701 among his fleet and he adores it. He's also got lime green motard wheels for normal road work and a different set for adventure riding - a versatile machine! I guess there's no such thing as a perfect bike. My Blackbird was great for where I used to live and the long distance rides I did at the time, not so good when we moved to Coromandel. Electrics were sometimes problematic. The Street Triple was great. Reliable, handled and had the elusive emotional appeal. The GSX-S 1000 was a competent bike but had zero emotional appeal in my case. So many choices, so little time eh? Enjoy your Indian too! As I'm moving towards the end of my motorcycling days, I'm hoping that the 1972 MGB GT we recently bought will be a fun substitute for a few years
    I'm with you on that Geoff. I too want to enjoy the last drop of my motorcycling life while my body is able. I'm only 61 but with both parents passing recently and most uncles and aunts, it has hit home that the clock of life is counting down and at some point the bod will limit my fun. Cram every minute into every day! Well done you continuing your long riding career. I would say well done on the MGB but in the seventies I was a Triumph car enthusiast. Had a GT6 (1971, 2, 3?) then a 73 TR6 and later 74 model.
    Enjoy the MGB

Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oct 2010 448.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	349499  

Bike
    Sold
    I'm with you on that Geoff. I too want to enjoy the last drop of my motorcycling life while my body is able. I'm only 61 but with both parents passing recently and most uncles and aunts, it has hit home that the clock of life is counting down and at some point the bod will limit my fun. Cram every minute into every day! Well done you continuing your long riding career. I would say well done on the MGB but in the seventies I was a Triumph car enthusiast. Had a GT6 (1971, 2, 3?) then a 73 TR6 and later 74 model.
    Enjoy the MGB

Mark
    Completely agree Mark, it looks like we're both determined to wring every last drop of enjoyment out of our riding whilst avoiding the sentence which starts "If only...."

Good for you with the Triumph cars, a man of taste. Have you seen what a TR6 costs now? . It was a rocky path deciding what to get. This might amuse you. I didn't think it would be so hard to spend money: https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2021...h-at-last.html

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    MGB or Triumph will keep you amused in the garage. Mate has a late model MX5. Goes really well, handles really well after uprating the suspension and putting on good tyres. Starts first time, every time, doesn't leak, the heater (air con) works, the seats are really comfortable. I couldn't imagine the money you would have to spend to get an old Brit going anywhere near as well reliably.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information