Thread: Helmet D rings

Bike
    One with 2 wheels

Helmet D rings

Am looking at buying a new helmet to be used for pretty much everything ie commuting , touring and the odd track day. I have looked at the MNZ website regarding helmets and it lists the approved standards but makes no mention of securing systems ie Drings and micro ratchet, other than to say that it must be fitted with a system and that it must be used. I have seen on helmets, standards that do comply but they may have either of the securing systems mentioned. Does anyone no of other sources that categorically state that one system must be used and not the other.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Last time I did a track day, (Hampton Downs), D rings were just fine.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    2013 triumph Explorer
    Watch and learn
    FortNine

Why Motorcycle Helmets Use this Ancient Buckle
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KUdmwmhyxM

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    It has been a while but i thought D rings were a requirement for track days or racing. If Jaeger hadn't already posted that clip I would have.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Premature Accelerato View Post
    Am looking at buying a new helmet to be used for pretty much everything ie commuting , touring and the odd track day. I have looked at the MNZ website regarding helmets and it lists the approved standards but makes no mention of securing systems ie Drings and micro ratchet, other than to say that it must be fitted with a system and that it must be used. I have seen on helmets, standards that do comply but they may have either of the securing systems mentioned. Does anyone no of other sources that categorically state that one system must be used and not the other.
    send a message to mnz and ask

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I was looking for a new helmet recently and was disappointed to find a micro ratchet on the GT Air 2.

It was an interesting exercise, but after trying quite a few helmets, I bought another NXR.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Bike
    One with 2 wheels
    Yep, have seen the latch on the Shoei Air 11. I notice that it is not the same as the one shown on the video and is made of Stainless steel, not plastic, so not a fair comparison. Shoei state on their web site that it is just as strong as conventional d rings but have not seen a test any where (must be very confident to make a statement like that). MNZ site is a bit vague but as suggested, will drop them an email.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Yep, have seen the latch on the Shoei Air 11. I notice that it is not the same as the one shown on the video and is made of Stainless steel, not plastic, so not a fair comparison. Shoei state on their web site that it is just as strong as conventional d rings but have not seen a test any where (must be very confident to make a statement like that). MNZ site is a bit vague but as suggested, will drop them an email.
    I have no concerns about the safety of the latch on that helmet, but I was surprised that Shoei had used one. The only reason I can see for not using D rings is convenience.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Bike
    One with 2 wheels

eek

Just an update on this issue. As suggested, I wrote to MNZ via their web site and asked the question. No reply. I then wrote to them the old fashioned way asking the same question and view on the matter. To date, no reply. So, either they dont know/care or the question that a helmet meeting one of their required standards but contradicting the perceived view that d rings are mandatory, has posed an interesting question that requires more research. Either way, some kind of response would be nice. Maybe they just never received the email or letter.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    ... Either way, some kind of response would be nice. Maybe they just never received the email or letter.
    Try again to a Person named in the Organization ... it may have just gone to spam.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    BSA A10
    contradicting the perceived view that d rings are mandatory
    They are not mandatory, so long as the helmet meets the standard in the MNZ MOM it will pass, I have used d ring helmets and other types, it has not ever been a problem
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Eeyore
    You've all missed the important point - the D-ring was good for locking to the bike.
    If it rains on your parade, use the umbrella of eternal optimism

Thread Information