Thread: Nickel plating

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries

Nickel plating

Looking to start doing this on my current projects, just to save on endlessly sourcing new bolts all the time...
    anyone doing their own stuff, tips, and sources for nickel etc? Thanks, Al
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Exercycle
    Unless the fasteners you're sourcing are rocking horse poo - eg, Cycle thread - it's not worth it.

I know two people who have set up to do it at home. Used the gear maybe twice and put it aside. Both Vintage nuts.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Unless the fasteners you're sourcing are rocking horse poo - eg, Cycle thread - it's not worth it.

I know two people who have set up to do it at home. Used the gear maybe twice and put it aside. Both Vintage nuts.
    it's the prep part that is the limiting factor i find these days, plating might be lovely but spolied by poor prep

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for your input guys, I don't really mind the prep work wrt bolts, nuts etc, but it is all starting to seem a big faff around...as you said!

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    You rarely see Nickel plating these days. Most silver bolts are zinc.

I’ve used a place in penrose in Auckland who’d do little chas jobs for me when rebuilding bikes. I’d give them a new bolt and say, “make like this”

I’d wire buff and then wire together ebpverything. Be careful though as most places are set up for bulk and they lose a few in the tub don’t care, but when it’s something special like a axle, or spacer or swing arm pivot etc, it can be a pain….so be very explicit with them on what you give them….so they know if anything big is missing.

Nickel I think is poisonous or something, Zinc is also sacrificial. As in it degrades as part of the protection process. I’m no expert, so if someone has better info, by all means correct me!

There’s also a process I’ve seen called electroless nickel plating I think or something that sounds like that that looks good, but is a little different in finish

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    if you were doing a vintage project where everything had to be 100% then nickel would be preferred for brightwork, but chrome has taken over from that. Top quality chroming still uses nickel as the top layer of chrome is porous (= rust)
    So triple plating is copper to bond with the steel, nicklel for the next step and chrome last of all, which bumps the price right up.
    Info herehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_plating
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Yep, I do have some stuff I am going to get rechromed but I just fancied the idea of refinishing some of the original fitment stuff, like chain adjusters etc, myself. I am looking at the electroless as a compromise...

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    So my project is 2x SL125 Hondas. One will be mint and as near to factory as it is worth me doing and the other will basically be, best of the rest...I did etch primer on both frames today.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6F54F015-08CF-4CDF-B30C-9A44EB7100DE.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	858.1 KB 
ID:	349518

Bike
    Big red vibrator
    I played with zinc plating a little while back, this guys recipe is a great starting point:

https://yamaha-enduros.com/index.php...lating-process

similar to nickel plating?

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    All the hondas incidental bits will be bright zinc I would have thought .
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    You rarely see Nickel plating these days. Most silver bolts are zinc.

I’ve used a place in penrose in Auckland who’d do little chas jobs for me when rebuilding bikes. I’d give them a new bolt and say, “make like this”

I’d wire buff and then wire together ebpverything. Be careful though as most places are set up for bulk and they lose a few in the tub don’t care, but when it’s something special like a axle, or spacer or swing arm pivot etc, it can be a pain….so be very explicit with them on what you give them….so they know if anything big is missing.

Nickel I think is poisonous or something, Zinc is also sacrificial. As in it degrades as part of the protection process. I’m no expert, so if someone has better info, by all means correct me!

There’s also a process I’ve seen called electroless nickel plating I think or something that sounds like that that looks good, but is a little different in finish
    Nickel is expensive .its in solution i forget i was chrome plater in 80, s

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Nougo View Post
    I played with zinc plating a little while back, this guys recipe is a great starting point:

https://yamaha-enduros.com/index.php...lating-process

similar to nickel plating?
    Nope zinc plating i did that lol i forgot yeah it is i was thinking galvanzing .yep uses solution anodes .

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Random thoughts arising from this thread.

My Cheney had a nickle plated frame. Frames shouldn't be chrome plated, that can cause cracking. Stress risers and such.
    Every sizeable town used to have a chrome plating business. This town long ago ceased to have one and I wouldn't even know where the nearest one was.

Similarly with engine reconditioners, for many years we had two. The survivor recently closed.

And radiator repairs, one just closed, one remains. For now.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Engine reconditioners for standard car engines - no call for them, most Japanese engines outlast the bodywork anyway. Performance engines though, still a few around for that market
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    1967 Yamaha YL-1
    Nickel plating can be done at home, not so chrome plating which is very toxic and needs much better control just to do the job.
    It takes up quite some space. Preparation is a big part of any plating, so need to know how to clean, de-rust and polish to scrupulous degree.
    I found it difficult to know just how thick a coating is being applied, which is time dependant.
    Annoying to see a nice, shiny newly-plated part quickly rust because the plating was too thin.
    But if you're determined, nickel plating can be mastered at home, I think!

Thread Information