Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who knows about old Ducatis? M900 Monster 1993

Bike
    Street Triple R

Who knows about old Ducatis? M900 Monster 1993

So I was going to buy another electric pushbike and then this came along on tardme and it was $300 more and I'm like ... errrrr OK then. It arrived the day that lockdown was declared. And I have been working during lockdown which is OK for cashflow but not when you have a project in the shed.

The obvious thing is to lose those stupid clipons and put proper bars back on it. That will restore the steering geometry as well because dropping the forks through the clamps by 50mm won't have done it any favours.

I have a 22 item list of stuff to look at/fix but its mostly baseline stuff (fluids, oil and filter etc). For my own peace of mind I will change the belts I think.

If anyone has a set of handlebar clamps and handlebars that would be cool.

Oh, and where can I buy a rear paddock stand in fucking lockdown? Its like being 16 again and grovelling round on the floor.

And yes it started and ran on the button when it arrived and has a new WOF and is regoed till September. Woo Hoo!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monster.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	273.4 KB 
ID:	349525  
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Mine came standard with aluminium bars. When it got knocked over at work, the standard Magura brand bars were going to take forever, so I ordered Renthal. So close to the original I couldn't tell the difference. The service from the Renthal importer was excellent. I seem to recall the item was described as "high road bars".
    Despite the name the bars weren't *that* high.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Mine came standard with aluminium bars. When it got knocked over at work, the standard Magura brand bars were going to take forever, so I ordered Renthal. So close to the original I couldn't tell the difference. The service from the Renthal importer was excellent. I seem to recall the item was described as "high road bars".
    Despite the name the bars weren't *that* high.
    I have a pair of those Renthal high road bars in the shed I think - I had them on my Hornet 919 - much nicer than the Honda ones which were narrow and tall.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    PM "old duck" on here - he has put more time into getting Ducatis to run properly than even the factory.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Who knows about old Ducatis? M900 Monster 1993
    giz a yell if ya need help, duk guru lives over the road... hes got lots a no how and parts...
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    That looks pretty fit. Surprised if the front guard doesnt hit the oil cooler. Probably has the clickers wound in. Locks them right up. Align the axle properly and assuming same forks as sport, maybe that's too big assumption, you should get to clickers through the hole in axle.

Desperate for a tail Tidy and a smaller hugger. Engine paint always a bit flakey, but just rattle canning the foot peg hangers will make it look presentable. Assume you know to change belts if its been sitting or every 2 years,.

Hey. Just noticed you've used my quote in signature. [Beams with pride]
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Congrats HDC! It'll be similar in a lot of points to my 900SS, sing out if you want any help.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Few baby steps over the weekend. The date code on the tyres is 3016 and 3216 so I will definitely be changing them. Plus "Nankang"? - yeah nah. Pilot Road or something. Or knobbies as is the trend. TKC80's or something.

These little grommets and rusty screws represent a couple of hours of my life I would like back. They hold the side covers on. The screw screws into a metal sleeve held by a rubber grommet. If the screw is hard to turn (because it is rusty and shitty and 30 years old) it spins the wee housing as well. I ended up using a pair of nail pliers to pull the whole thing through the fitting after cutting the rubber grommet in half. I suspect it has been sat in a carport for a while. The high side (R) is in significantly worse condition than the low side (L). I had an experimental sand of that footpeg bracket. I think I will take it back to bare aluminium with a scotchbrite equivalent finish - brushed not polished. The engine cover clutch side is also very average. The problem is once you start polishing a turd you get to the next bit and the next bit and the next bit.... and I dont want to do that. Goal is a tidy up and run around not a bottomless money pit.

Can't do fuckall really till I can get the wheels off and it safely up on a stand so just pottering about.

I might have tracked down some handlebar clamps though so thats good. I can buy some from CMS NL but they are 74 euro I think.

Name:	bracket.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	243.1 KB 
ID:	349561  

Bike
    Street Triple R
    sidecover screws.

Name:	sidecover mounting.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	349562  

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Without wishing to tell you how to suck eggs, when I had my Duc I saw sets of stainless fasteners for various models on EBay. The standard ducati screws must be Trump supporters, they go orange overnight.

Apropos of nothing much, I once read a poem on a Ducati owners site. Alas I can't find it now but the poet knew that of which he wrote.

The only words I can remember:

I bought a new Ducati
    It runs as smooth as silk
    But now the fun has started
    The sight glass looks like milk.

And yes, mine did that too.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Are the fasteners supposed to look like in the picture? I bought a kit for my ST2 and replaced the whole lot, so have a bunch of leftovers if it's the right thing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210830_130336.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	522.2 KB 
ID:	349572
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    giz a yell if ya need help, duk guru lives over the road... hes got lots a no how and parts...

I'll endorse this. The gentleman referred to has been breaking and working on Ducs for many years. Rather than trying for bits from overseas, try him first.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    Are the fasteners supposed to look like in the picture? I bought a kit for my ST2 and replaced the whole lot, so have a bunch of leftovers if it's the right thing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210830_130336.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	522.2 KB 
ID:	349572
    They are called wellnuts I think? Not that hard to get...
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    They are called wellnuts I think? Not that hard to get...
    Yep, that's the name.

Not unique to ducati, some of my leftovers are running around on a Honda somewhere
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Without wishing to tell you how to suck eggs, when I had my Duc I saw sets of stainless fasteners for various models on EBay. The standard ducati screws must be Trump supporters, they go orange overnight.

Apropos of nothing much, I once read a poem on a Ducati owners site. Alas I can't find it now but the poet knew that of which he wrote.

The only words I can remember:

I bought a new Ducati
    It runs as smooth as silk
    But now the fun has started
    The sight glass looks like milk.

And yes, mine did that too.
    Yeah, I've had the engine oil cappuchino too, happens if there's a few cold starts and short trips. Riding for a couple of hours straight sorts it out.

Thread Information