Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Michelin Road 5 end of life review

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Even though I didn't use much of the grippy rubber on the shoulders, they certainly feel as though they have more grip than the PR4.
    Not quite true, after a closer look at the tyres this morning, I was well on to the grippy stuff on the right especially.

Not quite sure why they come with rounded edges to the grooves?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Tyres are black and round and I'm so old that any modern tyre is a marvel. I just put Bridgestone S22s on the Versys after a set of PR2s. The PR2s last a long time but at 5 years old I thought I should probably change for the sake of it.
    When the CB919 was used for work most days, the PR2 was great, the 12-13k a year meant about 2 years out of the tyres. When it stopped being used for that, yikes, mileage dropped, and now there was actually a danger the tyres would age out first (unfathomable concept to me).

Fortunately that didn't happen, but the difference in grip envelope between PR2 and PR4/5 was noticeable. When pushing the PR2 for the last little bit you wanted from time to time, you would feel it starting to slide, so just slightly inhibiting. Not so with the newer generations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    There are some who maintain that the PR2 is still the best road tyre Michelin ever made, but they are gradually becoming Road 5 converts.

I think Michelin still make the PR2, as well as the original Pilot Power.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Bike
    ES XTZ
    There are some who maintain that the PR2 is still the best road tyre Michelin ever made, but they are gradually becoming Road 5 converts.

Just swapped out the rear PR2 on the SuperTenere to a Road 5 be happy if i get similar mileage.

Had Road 5s when i had the Busa & BKing perfect for me but did notice the front gets 'squishy' near end of life .

Ran Pilots , R2s 3s 4s and PPs on different bikes over the years cant really fault them - apart from the price def shop around.

Bike
    A

The PR2 was a very nice tyre, in its day, no argument. But we've been spoiled since the days of the PR2 being the latest and greatest from Mr Michelin.

I've used plenty of Michelin tyres over the years, have tried a few other brands, but I keep coming back to Michelin. Like Mulletman said, apart from the price, can't fault the product

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    The PR2 was a very nice tyre, in its day, no argument. But we've been spoiled since the days of the PR2 being the latest and greatest from Mr Michelin.

I've used plenty of Michelin tyres over the years, have tried a few other brands, but I keep coming back to Michelin. Like Mulletman said, apart from the price, can't fault the product
    That's pretty much been my own experience as well. I've tried plenty of other brands and tyres but always ended up back with Michelin.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    That's pretty much been my own experience as well. I've tried plenty of other brands and tyres but always ended up back with Michelin.

It usually comes down to availability. Most of the time the only pair I can get for the Versys is from Michelin. This time there were no rears available (160/70x17) from anyone except Bridgestone and then only in a relatively sporty model. Doesn't matter though, because they steer really nicely, I don't do huge mileage anymore and the trip I'm going on for the next three days will be the biggest trip of the year. 6 or 7000 kms is all I do a year now.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    It usually comes down to availability. Most of the time the only pair I can get for the Versys is from Michelin. This time there were no rears available (160/70x17) from anyone except Bridgestone and then only in a relatively sporty model. Doesn't matter though, because they steer really nicely, I don't do huge mileage anymore and the trip I'm going on for the next three days will be the biggest trip of the year. 6 or 7000 kms is all I do a year now.
    There was a shipment of Michelin tyres due in November, which was delayed. I could not find a 190/55 Road 5 in Auckland at the end of November.

Bike
    Sold
    There was a shipment of Michelin tyres due in November, which was delayed. I could not find a 190/55 Road 5 in Auckland at the end of November.

When I had my replacement Road 5's fitted on 14th December, they'd only recently come in at Boyds. In fact, one of their employees was still transferring them to their warehouse. Front 120 for the Duke was $189.57 and rear 180 was $269.57, excluding GST.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    That's interesting, because I checked with a couple of Auckland places about then and they still didn't know when the shipment was arriving.

Boyds held a 190/55 for me from early December until I could get down there after the Auckland border opened.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    It's been a real mission recently in that respect. It took me more than three months to find a 140/70 Road 5 tyre for the R3. I eventually located one in Hamilton and got it shipped up.

Bike
    ES XTZ

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
    That's amusing, looks very similar to Road 5 though

Bike
    Sold
    At least their claims of increased life percentage are rather more modest than they used to be . When the Pilot Road 4 was announced, they claimed a 20% improvement over the R3. Having had multiple R3's on a couple of bikes and then switching to the PR4, there was no discernable difference in life. The 4 handled a bit better though as the sipes on the front tyre were further apart and it wasn't so squirmy under braking as the 3.

Allowing for the inevitable marketing hype, Michelin do make good tyres though, as others have remarked.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Looks like refinements, not the major changes that the Road 5 brought compared to the PR4.

Does the change to "100% MICHELIN Silica Technology tread compounds" mean the end of the sticky, carbon black shoulder compounds?

Thread Information