Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 53 of 53

Thread: Michelin Road 5 end of life review

  1. #46
    Join Date
    9th October 2003 - 11:00
    Bike
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Location
    Greytown
    Posts
    14,507
    Blog Entries
    3
    So the S22s are goooood. There's no discernible roll centre and I just did 1444.4 kms in three days and the 830-odd done yesterday were in the evil mixed conditions, mostly very damp and they were much nicer in the wet than the PR2s. The PR2s always announced when you arrived at vertical dead centre and were somewhat slithery when it was properly damp.
    I was just thinking Yesterday. I'm about the age Hitler was when he shot himself. Puts into perspective how little I've done with my life.



  2. #47
    Join Date
    2nd March 2018 - 15:32
    Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    951
    Last Sunday I did a loop from Auckland down to Whakamaru and back on some of my favourite back roads. I rode the Old Taupo Road for the first time, not sure why that has taken me so long as it is much more fun to ride than drive. Waipapa Road is nice in summer when the road is dry, but it doesn't have the same vibe as on a misty day in winter.

    The Road 5s were good, the bike feels really planted once you're on the sticky shoulder compounds, which look nicely scuffed now. The steering is definitely quicker than the PR4 and trail braking is excellent. The ride seemed a little smoother but the tyres still give decent feedback. The only negative is that the rear profile is more rounded than the PR4 in the 190/55 size, and the bike does not feel quite as good at high lean angles. Probably just needs some readjustment on my part.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    9th May 2008 - 21:23
    Bike
    A
    Location
    B
    Posts
    2,547
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    The only negative is that the rear profile is more rounded than the PR4 in the 190/55 size, and the bike does not feel quite as good at high lean angles. Probably just needs some readjustment on my part.
    My observation in going from the 4 to the 5, the 5 definitely prefers a positive throttle going into a curve and then responds nicely to transitioning to progressive throttle.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    2nd March 2018 - 15:32
    Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    951
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    My observation in going from the 4 to the 5, the 5 definitely prefers a positive throttle going into a curve and then responds nicely to transitioning to progressive throttle.
    Yes I went for a short ride this morning and found that the Road 5 seems happier with more load on the tyre, whether that is brakes or throttle. It feels much more like a sports tyre than the 4, in fact better than some sports tyres I used 8-10 years ago!

    It was a stunning morning in the North Waikato, very clear view from Pukekawa. But the pasture on the hills is going brown very quickly.

    Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

  5. #50
    Join Date
    9th May 2008 - 21:23
    Bike
    A
    Location
    B
    Posts
    2,547
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Yes I went for a short ride this morning and found that the Road 5 seems happier with more load on the tyre, whether that is brakes or throttle. It feels much more like a sports tyre than the 4, in fact better than some sports tyres I used 8-10 years ago!

    Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    It gets even more confusing though. Running the standard Road 5s on my FJR, awesome tyre and as you've obviously worked out, you can push on quite nicely with them
    Got the Power 5 on my Busa, and for a sports tyre the wet grip is at least as good as the Road 5...if not better.
    Plus the wear from the Power 5 is damn good too, especially for a tyre that can be used with such...ahem, enthusiasm

    Thinking back 10-15-20 years, man we've come a long way in terms of tyre technology

  6. #51
    Join Date
    16th January 2010 - 17:09
    Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Location
    Otorohanga
    Posts
    2,550
    I'm a recent convert to Michelin on 2 of my cars, hugely impressed with how well they perform on a road car so next time I own a road reg'd bike I'll be looking at the Michelin catalogue for my 2 wheel action too.

    I'm a huge tyre nerd these days so love a good tyre review from the real world. Thanks for taking the time.

    Now I'm off to slag off Jacinda...

  7. #52
    Join Date
    12th September 2004 - 17:40
    Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Location
    Horowhenua NZ
    Posts
    3,620
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    It gets even more confusing though. Running the standard Road 5s on my FJR, awesome tyre and as you've obviously worked out, you can push on quite nicely with them
    Got the Power 5 on my Busa, and for a sports tyre the wet grip is at least as good as the Road 5...if not better.
    Plus the wear from the Power 5 is damn good too, especially for a tyre that can be used with such...ahem, enthusiasm

    Thinking back 10-15-20 years, man we've come a long way in terms of tyre technology
    Lol went out yesterday for a fang. I'm on Road 4's and was thinking these are way better than me nowdays ?
    I can hardly reach the edges of the tyres in just normal road riding. ( too scared I'll go upside down ).

    You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

  8. #53
    Join Date
    22nd October 2002 - 11:00
    Bike
    2019 KTM Duke 790
    Location
    Coromandel Harbour
    Posts
    4,364
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Lol went out yesterday for a fang. I'm on Road 4's and was thinking these are way better than me nowdays ?
    I can hardly reach the edges of the tyres in just normal road riding. ( too scared I'll go upside down ).
    Yep, if truth be told, most riders will run out of talent before any of the major brands reach their limits! It's just down to personal choice for your particular needs. Your comment about going upside down actually struck a chord. I'm on blood thinners and only have to knock myself with moderate force to end up with a bloody good bruise. Coming off the bike, even at walking pace doesn't bear thinking about.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •