Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1982 CB250RS - Rebuild - Valve Springs & Cam Chain

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN250

UPDATE - Parts Have Arrived...

Hi all,

So the parts just arrived 10 days after payment ... Shipped up from a place down South Island called Jap MC Dismantlers.

They arrived today, being the wrong springs in literally every dimension but one (the longer free spring length), allbeit very close to the measurements of my own OEM springs. See attached images for ref.

Im going to be frank here, and given that its COVID times please take what I say with a grain of salt because Im sure there's two sides to every story. Here's just what happened from my end and the sucker punch that is putting a whole rebuild on hold for parts only to find when they arrive they are the wrong ones.

So with Jap MC Dismantlers, the correspondence and service was crap from the get go, I started an open email chain specifying what I was looking for with solid detail/images/measurements and yet after 3 weeks of delayed back and forth including a few moments of being told I was "splitting hairs" for wanting to know if their springs matched up with the specs, they arrived.

Wrong width, wrong wire gauge, wrong winding count...

Anyway, Im here now disgruntled as I may be with the question on my brain. Should I use these replacement springs or just put the old ones back in? They are longer around 39.5mm+/- 0.5mm so thats nice, but with the wire gauge a little thinner they do feel a bit softer than the old ones (I can compress them to binding point by hand, whereas I cant with my OEM ones)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oem spring left new spring right.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	749.6 KB 
ID:	349739   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oem spring width.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	669.5 KB 
ID:	349740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oem spring wire gauge.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	665.8 KB 
ID:	349741   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	replacment spring width.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	702.0 KB 
ID:	349742   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	replacement spring wire gauge.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	599.1 KB 
ID:	349743  

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpl View Post
    Hi all,

So the parts just arrived 10 days after payment ... Shipped up from a place down South Island called Jap MC Dismantlers.

They arrived today, being the wrong springs in literally every dimension but one. See attached images for ref.

Im going to be frank here, and given that its COVID times please take what I say with a grain of salt because Im sure there's two sides to every story. Here's just what happened from my end and the sucker punch that is putting a whole rebuild on hold for parts only to find when they arrive they are the wrong ones.

So with Jap MC Dismantlers, the correspondence and service was crap from the get go, I started an open email chain specifying what I was looking for with solid detail/images/measurements and yet after 3 weeks of delayed back and forth including a few moments of being told I was "splitting hairs" for wanting to know if their springs matched up with the specs, they arrived.

Wrong width, wrong wire gauge, wrong winding count...

Anyway, Im here now disgruntled as I may be with the question on my brain. Should I use these replacement springs or just put the old ones back in? They are longer around 39.5mm+/- 0.5mm so thats nice, but with the wire gauge a little thinner they do feel a bit softer than the old ones (I can compress them the binding point by hand, whereas I cant with my OEM ones)
    whose to say yours are the right ones in the first place? from memory this is a back yard business, Is it someone who has seen trademe and in, knows how to use a tool kit supplied with a bike and little more maybe?

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN250
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    whose to say yours are the right ones in the first place? from memory this is a back yard business, Is it someone who has seen trademe and in, knows how to use a tool kit supplied with a bike and little more maybe?
    A fair point to make!

Thankfully, my bike has all the positive signs of not having been opened since factory with all the og paint markings matching its year and all the casting numbers matching up nicely etc.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    "Found all my inner valve springs at 36.4 - 36.6mm free spring length.
    Should be 38.1 if new, with 37mm being the service limit."
    Fair enough if you were blueprinting the motor for racing or similar, and if new parts were readily available, but so far thats a lot of agro and faffing about for 1.7mm of spring. Are you going to be bouncing it off the rev limiter all day?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN250
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    "Found all my inner valve springs at 36.4 - 36.6mm free spring length.
    Should be 38.1 if new, with 37mm being the service limit."
    Fair enough if you were blueprinting the motor for racing or similar, and if new parts were readily available, but so far thats a lot of agro and faffing about for 1.7mm of spring. Are you going to be bouncing it off the rev limiter all day?
    Nah, but I do want to have the freedom to push the bike to it's stock limit when I feel like it
    To my thorough way of thinking, it makes sense to go through the book and make sure all is in spec where it should be to have it in ideal running condition for years to come?

If I can improve something by switching it out with a less worn part to bring it closer to that spec, I will. Simple as that.

Like I mentioned, I dont have the experience to know when 1.7mm of lee-way is worth fighting for or not, so that's on me. I also dont have anyone with motorcycle wits nearby that I know who can help me make those judgement calls. Hence the reason I have to rely on my own research, asking the folks and blokes on these forums and among other online faffing when trying to source info/parts.

Given all that, what do ya reckon? Should I go with the replacement springs, or stick with the OEM ones?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Nah, but I do want to have the freedom to push the bike to it's stock limit when I feel like it
    To my thorough way of thinking, it makes sense to go through the book and make sure all is in spec where it should be to have it in ideal running condition for years to come?

If I can improve something by switching it out with a less worn part to bring it closer to that spec, I will. Simple as that.

Like I mentioned, I dont have the experience to know when 1.7mm of lee-way is worth fighting for or not, so that's on me. I also dont have anyone with motorcycle wits nearby that I know who can help me make those judgement calls. Hence the reason I have to rely on my own research, asking the folks and blokes on these forums and among other online faffing when trying to source info/parts.

Given all that, what do ya reckon? Should I go with the replacement springs, or stick with the OEM ones?
    There is nice to do, and have to do. You could shim the inner spring with a washer of appropriate dimensions (you would probably have to make one) under the spring, but the the afore mentioned "coil bind at full lift" thing would have to be checked.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN250
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Not heard of them before, thanks for the recommend! Have sent them a request, will see what they get back to me with.

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN250
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Oh gosh, I'd almost forgotten about Martyn. Will flick him a message also. Thanks!

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GN250

Final Update Re - Valve Springs & Cam Chain

Hi all,

Checked with YUMBO.COM - No springs available, discontinued.

Checked in with Martyn @HondaRestorer on TradeMe, had a wee chat and decided on shimming the old springs. Easy enough to do if you're able to fabricate the right size of washer/shim yourself.

Still have the "replacement" XL250S springs to hand atm, but may sell them off for petty cash.

New cam chain went in at the same time, whole cam movement feels good and taught now.

All back together, ready for the first start! Im excited

Cheers, J
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 15-10-21, 10 22 41.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	559.6 KB 
ID:	349880  

Bike
    husaberg
    Hi all,

Checked with YUMBO.COM - No springs available, discontinued.

Checked in with Martyn @HondaRestorer on TradeMe, had a wee chat and decided on shimming the old springs. Easy enough to do if you're able to fabricate the right size of washer/shim yourself.

Still have the "replacement" XL250S springs to hand atm, but may sell them off for petty cash.

New cam chain went in at the same time, whole cam movement feels good and taught now.

All back together, ready for the first start! Im excited

Cheers, J

i was chatting to a guy yesterday who had a S head if you still want some. He is a mechanic and he was surprised to find they were unavailable he said the same as others just dont worry and ride it. Or shim it.
    All hondas have the shims as std to stop the springs diving into the head you just add more of the std ones.
    Back in the day conmpanies sold the shims for high performance
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information