Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best way to fix slow rear tyre leak

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by oldiebutagoody View Post
    You'd think right?

Should start a poll, new tyres or tyres removed for repairs, has it been returned with same valve stem in situ? Bet there is a better than 50/50 fail rate.
    why? there's people out there who go through several tyres a year, there's many other rubber components on the bike that doesn't get the same treatment, like fork seals.
    How much of this is because the valve is likely to be tired, how much is profit driven and how much of it is so you 'look like' you are being thorough?

Bike
    A
    You'd think right?

Should start a poll, new tyres or tyres removed for repairs, has it been returned with same valve stem in situ? Bet there is a better than 50/50 fail rate.
    I do my own tyres on my bikes, only replace the valve stem or valve itself if necessary. Haven't had a valve go bad in years, but have had the odd slow leak due to an object in the tyre itself.

As for tyre industry practice

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    On the missus car I've had a couple of valves that would leak alarmingly if deflected while checking pressure. That's certainly not ideal and were changed.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2020 DL 1050 Vstrom RO
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    why? there's people out there who go through several tyres a year, there's many other rubber components on the bike that doesn't get the same treatment, like fork seals.
    How much of this is because the valve is likely to be tired, how much is profit driven and how much of it is so you 'look like' you are being thorough?
    I don't disagree regards the other rubbers.

I do my tyres my way, not the tyre tech's way, coz its my $ and my neck on the line. If thats not agreeable to them, I just quietly move on to a workshop that wants my custom. Have been known to walk away and do it myself on a few occasions.

Not trying to tell anyone else what they should do but.

(edit: just thought I would say Palmerston North dealer workshops are very very good with tyre mounting without slow leaks. 100% success rate so far over 6 pairs purchased)

Bike
    BSA A10
    You'd think right?

I think you'd lose, I doubt it's even be 1%, I see it every week working in the car tyre industry, rubber snap in valves are a wear item, on a motorcycle where the tyre mileages are way less than a car you would most likely be able to get away with every 3 or 4th tyre change but I'd replace them every time
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Thread Information