Thread: 1985 xt 400 starting issue

Bike
    2018 triumph rocket 3

1985 xt 400 starting issue

hey team I've never done this before but wondered if someone may be able to help in terms of a small issue im having with a XT 400 i have just put together I've rebuilt the carb and it seems to be taking gas in and the floats would seem to be working fine.... I spray eng start in and kick over it fires but dies and will only fire again with a spray of eng start any help would be epic
    Jamie

Bike
    Old Bikes
    Is the spark plug wet with fuel or dry? That’ll tell you if the cylinder is taking in fuel.

If it fires with the Ez Start you can probably rule out spark. Failure e to fire with petrol can indicate a loss of compression. Stuck ring or valve perhaps.

What happens if you throw a bit of petrol down the plug’ole and try to start it?

How long since it ran?
    Ginge

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    My money is still on the carb. There are a myriad of holes and any of them can clog. Pay attention to the pilot circuit and my star guess is the choke cct. The choke will cover up a small hole that when opened will draw fuel from the float bowl. It will be blocked, or a brass tube, or the area in the floatbowl the tube goes into.

Enjoy.

Blowing through passage ways with thin tube can often find blockages. Pull emulsion tube out and find all holes. Brake clean down holes with that little pipe the can comes with also helps diagnose. But for fuck sake wear safety glasses. You'll find out why and thank me.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    water in the tank - or stale fuel?
    =mjc=

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    These bikes are notorious for frying the cdi. It prolly costs more to get it tested than replaced...
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/m...7?bof=S2E6Ch8I
    they are a heavy , underpowered lump. I loved mine, 3 cdi's later!
    Also found with mine from memory, they are a twin throat carb, and the fuel feed from primary to secondary was crusted up and the air admitance for the idle section was blocked. By the time I got good spark by replacing the cdi, I still had to run start it down a long hill to get it to fire up. It had been sitting for some time and the carb setup was very bunged up.
    once cleaned up properly it went for years and would always fire first kick. Until the cdi shit itself again!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Gas Gss 300.

Get some 2 stroke loveliness. And squatloads of power and light weight.

If you have to a ignitech ignition will save dome grief if you take care of the battery
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information