Thread: Old blokes Vincent

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250

Old blokes Vincent

Old fella passed away recently and was just going through some pics from his memorial service and thought i would post a couple up of his old Vincent.Wish i knew more about the bike ie AJS frame/front end?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ford ex_0002.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1,012.3 KB 
ID:	349915   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ford ex_0001.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	188.1 KB 
ID:	349914  
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Old fella passed away recently and was just going through some pics from his memorial service and thought i would post a couple up of his old Vincent.Wish i knew more about the bike ie AJS frame/front end?
    Condolences. I think it's either a BSA or Norton frame - Norbsa and Norvin both had Vincent - based powerplants. I'm inclined to think it's a Norvin but Jellywrestler or one of his mates will know for sure

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    I would say its a Norton featherbed so the front end would be "Roadholder" forks. Might even be a repowered Manx. Be worth a bit now.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Condolences. I think it's either a BSA or Norton frame - Norbsa and Norvin both had Vincent - based powerplants. I'm inclined to think it's a Norvin but Jellywrestler or one of his mates will know for sure
    that's an AMC muffler (AMC AJS and Matchless) and they look like AMC shocks, I'm not familir enough with frame and front end though. What part of NZ and if a name is ok who was it? I spent 20 years in the Vincent Owners club and did there Archives fo a while and heard a few names etc.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Early longstroke Manx frame, forks and front brake. Bolt-up rear subframe and "upright" shocks so a very early frame IMO.

It'd be interesting to know if it's survived - or if there's now another Manx sporting "matching numbers" - and another Vincent worth close to a million.....

For me, it's the specials that should be preserved.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Early longstroke Manx frame, forks and front brake. Bolt-up rear subframe and "upright" shocks so a very early frame IMO.

It'd be interesting to know if it's survived - or if there's now another Manx sporting "matching numbers" - and another Vincent worth close to a million.....

For me, it's the specials that should be preserved.
    I agree - its got a swing arm BSA oil tank grafted on the outside which must have made it pretty wide

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    I agree - its got a swing arm BSA oil tank grafted on the outside which must have made it pretty wide
    It's at least well back. Not as if he was going to carry a pillion, LOL.
    The usual fix for somewhere to put the oil on a Norvin - the combined fuel and oil tank - I've never liked.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    It's at least well back. Not as if he was going to carry a pillion, LOL.
    The usual fix for somewhere to put the oil on a Norvin - the combined fuel and oil tank - I've never liked.
    The pillon thing is rather ironic,doubt it was on that thing but at some stage in his early riding years he managed to get his mother on the back of whatever bike he owned at the time and they headed up around the Victoria park area (no doubt way different these days) and came to grief due to someone putting a wire across the road,her on the back was caught with it on the throat and off she went,shes long gone but always remember the scar from when i was a young fella and asking about it.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Thread Information