Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABS requirements

Bike
    KTM530EXC

ABS requirements

What's the new deal with antilock brakes being required? Especially for revinning.
    What about dirt bikes like the KTM450EXC that can be made road legal?
    I looked at the VTNZ site but it is not clear for road legal dirt bikes. Or maybe I missed it.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    No takers it seems.
    What's the deal with vintage bikes?
    Will they need to have ABS to get vinned?
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Try give them a call or drop in. I've had those sort of conversations before.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rok-the-boat View Post
    No takers it seems.
    What's the deal with vintage bikes?
    Will they need to have ABS to get vinned?
    VTNZ Enforce the rules ... NOT make them. That is the Governments job. VTNZ testers will probably be aware of the law changes in this regard ... but not necessarily the girl answering the phone.

From 1 November 2021

All current model new motorcycles and imported used motorcycles over 125cc must have ABS.

All current model new motorcycles and imported used motorcycles up to and including 125cc must have ABS or CBS.

Exemptions

There is no requirement for existing motorcycles to be retrofitted with ABS.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/ve...-rule-changes/
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    So, what in fact you are saying, is that instead of looking at the vtnz site, he should have looked at the authorities site to see if there was document stating the changes?

Heresy! Burn him!
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    Thanks for the info and link. I clicked on this n that but didn't find that page. Still not 100% clear. I went to VTNZ and they couldn't tell me. I phoned up a vinning place in Auckland and they couldn't tell me. I have vinned a couple of bikes before - it's a messy process at the best of times. THere is nowhere to vin bikes north of Auckland. The system is pathetic. And on that site it says they will give consideration to 100 post 1990 imported 'special interest motorcycle permits' per year. Pathetic. Suppose my interpretation of 'special interest' differs to theirs. Bureacracy thwarts business at every turn.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    So, what in fact you are saying, is that instead of looking at the vtnz site, he should have looked at the authorities site to see if there was document stating the changes?

Heresy! Burn him!
    In simple explanation ...

VTNZ Enforce the laws regarding motor vehicles.

NZ Government MAKE the laws regarding motorcycles.

Too simple maybe.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info and link. I clicked on this n that but didn't find that page. Still not 100% clear. I went to VTNZ and they couldn't tell me. I phoned up a vinning place in Auckland and they couldn't tell me. I have vinned a couple of bikes before - it's a messy process at the best of times. THere is nowhere to vin bikes north of Auckland. The system is pathetic. And on that site it says they will give consideration to 100 post 1990 imported 'special interest motorcycle permits' per year. Pathetic. Suppose my interpretation of 'special interest' differs to theirs. Bureacracy thwarts business at every turn.
    VTNZ Enforce the rules ... NOT make them. That is the Governments job. VTNZ testers will probably be aware of the law changes in this regard ... but not necessarily the girl answering the phone.

On 12 September 2019, Associate Minister of Transport Julie Anne Genter, made a rule change – Land Transport Rule: Light-vehicle Brakes Amendment (No 2) 2019.

The rule change makes it compulsory to have an anti-lock braking system (ABS) on motorcycles over 125cc.

Motorcycles up to and including 125cc must have ABS or a simpler system known as a combined braking system (CBS).

The rule change is expected to improve the safety of motorcyclists on our roads.

Since 1 April 2020, all new model new motorcycles over 125cc have had to have ABS and all new model new motorcycles up to and including 125cc have had to have ABS or CBS.

From 1 November 2021

All current model new motorcycles and imported used motorcycles over 125cc must have ABS.

All current model new motorcycles and imported used motorcycles up to and including 125cc must have ABS or CBS.

Exemptions

There is no requirement for existing motorcycles to be retrofitted with ABS.

There is also a limited exception from the Rule for motorcycles registered in any country prior to 1 January 1990. These motorcycles will not be required to be fitted with ABS or CBS. This will allow motorcycle collectors to continue to import classic motorcycles where there is no ABS equipped option available.

For motorcycles first registered after 1 January 1990, a new special interest motorcycle permit would allow for collectible motorcycles to continue to be imported, under the condition that there is no equivalent option with ABS available. Motorcycle owners would need to apply to Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency. Up to 100 special interest motorcycle permits will be issued each year.

[first in first served each year for that I guess]

There is also an exemption to allow New Zealand citizens or residents to continue to import, as an immigrant’s vehicle, a motorcycle they had owned and registered for use overseas for at least 12 months.

Vehicles that are exempt:

Trial and Enduro motorcycles for the purpose of a sanctioned competition.
    Quad bikes designed and constructed for off-road use.
    Classic or collectible motorcycles.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Simply put ...

1. Those motorcycles that are on the roads in NZ currently ... that do NOT have ABS ... will NOT be required to be retrofitted with ABS.

2. Vintage/Veteran/Classic and Collectible motorcycles will not be required to be retrofitted with ABS.

3. Those motorcycles currently in NZ, that do not have ABS, will NOT become classed as NEW motorcycles, if their Registration lapses and a Re-Vin is required.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Bureacracy thwarts business at every turn.
    Anybody who had planned a business importing used motorcycles would definitely seem to need a plan B.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Simply put ...
    3. Those motorcycles currently in NZ, that do not have ABS, will NOT become classed as NEW motorcycles, if their Registration lapses and a Re-Vin is required.
    That is the important point. Revinning. But what about my 2008 KTM450 that has never been road legal? It has never been in the system. Can it be vinned without ABS? I am guessing so - but it is not clearly stated. It does say 'existing motorcycles' but the people at VTNZ could not tell me. I didn't phone up. I went there and asked. And they suggested I phone up, so I did, and they told me to go to the VTNZ testing centre.

Now, my bike, is currently in NZ. If I can Vin my 2008 KTM450, what would be there to stop me importing one and vinning it, since, my KTM is not in the system, and neither would a fresh import be.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Simply put ...

1. Those motorcycles that are on the roads in NZ currently ... that do NOT have ABS ... will NOT be required to be retrofitted with ABS.

2. Vintage/Veteran/Classic and Collectible motorcycles will not be required to be retrofitted with ABS.

this clown has been asked by at least three people which way the headlight dips but can't come up with a simple answer. He is simply rude to people, brings in shit and it's their problem. Of course most people post feedback within days, well before they discover problems.....

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/m...4?bof=MAx2VWrt

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    That is the important point. Revinning. But what about my 2008 KTM450 that has never been road legal? It has never been in the system. Can it be vinned without ABS? I am guessing so - but it is not clearly stated. It does say 'existing motorcycles' but the people at VTNZ could not tell me. I didn't phone up. I went there and asked. And they suggested I phone up, so I did, and they told me to go to the VTNZ testing centre.

Now, my bike, is currently in NZ. If I can Vin my 2008 KTM450, what would be there to stop me importing one and vinning it, since, my KTM is not in the system, and neither would a fresh import be.
    No, you won't be able to VIN it.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I have vinned a couple of bikes before - it's a messy process at the best of times. THere is nowhere to vin bikes north of Auckland.
    I have vinned several bikes at VTNZ whangarei. Are you saying they have stopped doing it?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    That is the important point. Revinning. But what about my 2008 KTM450 that has never been road legal? It has never been in the system. Can it be vinned without ABS? I am guessing so - but it is not clearly stated.
    Logic tells me you cannot RE- vin a motorcycle that NEVER had a vin plate in NZ in the first place. However ... if you import a motorcycle you have owned overseas for more than 12 months (and in the system there) ... an exemption is/can be granted (100 per year). However ... If you bought it overseas (USA maybe .. ??? ) and importing it for a profit ... you might have issues.

It does say 'existing motorcycles' but the people at VTNZ could not tell me. I didn't phone up. I went there and asked. And they suggested I phone up, so I did, and they told me to go to the VTNZ testing centre.
    Which part of ... "All current model new motorcycles and imported used motorcycles over 125cc must have ABS" ... is NOT understood ... ??

You mean aside from the fact that it NEVER had a Vin plate ... and was never (legally) on the road in NZ ... ??

The term "Currently in NZ" means ... Currently in the NZ system. By your own words ... it is NOT. But it will come under the heading of "Imported motorcycle". Which needs ABS.

Bugger eh ...

Sell it either for spare parts ... or one piece. Either way ... it will be somebody else's issue ... right .. ??

Thread Information